Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411277 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:50:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCaracal: a dark space salvage roguelike (platformer)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Caracal: a dark space salvage roguelike (platformer)  (Read 14775 times)
kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2013, 08:34:02 AM »

Here is the progress I've been making on my platformer. The concept is that you are exploring derelict or abandoned spaceships or space stations. I was inspired by games like Dead Space, but I don't want to go the horror direction. I want the game to be scary because you can die really easily, and because the programming left in the ships themselves start to mess with the player.

I haven't decided if its going to be a roguelike or not yet, I've just been working on setting the mood with lighting and sounds. I'm doing all the art myself. I recently added the ability to hold a weapon and I've just implemented a laser.

Controls:

Keyboard: Move with the arrow keys, jump with X and shoot with S.

Gamepad: Left joystick to move, A to jump, B to shoot (Xbox 360 controller, yours might be different).

Playable build: http://caseybanner.ca/dropbox/caracal.zip - you need the MSVC 2012 Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=30679 as well.

Gameplay video: http://caseybanner.ca/dropbox/Gameplay1.mp4

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:29:26 PM by kcbanner » Logged

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:37:54 AM »

May I be the first to say CAVE STORY RIP-OFF! Wink

Kidding, obviously. But the engine looks nice and smooth. Smiley

EDIT: Having played it, I don't know why you're avoiding horror - it looks like it lends itself to it with the line-of-site and low-frequency background noise.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
poe
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »

I like the way this looks!
kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »

Cave Story is a big inspiration for me Smiley. Maybe I am leaning towards more horror, still figuring out the exact feel I want.

kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »

I've updated the build download! (link is in the first post). I've added footsteps, and a lot of behind the scenes stuff that makes my life easier for adding weapons and new animations.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »

Haven't yet played it, but it looks cool. Love the lighting system. (Btw, you totally should add some "glitching" lights Smiley)

Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:43:42 AM »

May I be the first to say CAVE STORY RIP-OFF! ;)

Kidding, obviously.
Yep, he looks quite like Quote!

Like the shading and art style.
If it turns out to be a roguelike(modern roguelike) and horror game, I would be the happiest person ever! ;D

Edit: I tried to open the game but it said: msvcr110.dll is missing or something like that.
Then I downloaded it from another site and put it in the folder, but then it said: msvcp110.dll is missing, so I downloaded it and put it that folder too. Then when I tried to run the game, it opened for a second, then got closed. I was fast enough to read that it said, "Failed to open window", in the window.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:05:54 AM by Blaze06h » Logged
kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:52 AM »

Haven't yet played it, but it looks cool. Love the lighting system. (Btw, you totally should add some "glitching" lights Smiley)

I plan on it! I need to add a scripting system, then I'll be able to script things like that.

Kidding, obviously.
Edit: I tried to open the game but it said: msvcr110.dll is missing or something like that.
Then I downloaded it from another site and put it in the folder, but then it said: msvcp110.dll is missing, so I downloaded it and put it that folder too. Then when I tried to run the game, it opened for a second, then got closed. I was fast enough to read that it said, "Failed to open window", in the window.

Sorry you couldn't run it. The error about opening the window is most likely because your graphics card doesn't support OpenGL 3.3. I have plans to lower the requirements to OpenGL 3.0, hopefully I'll be able to do that soon.

Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:38:48 AM »

I tried to open the game but it said: msvcr110.dll is missing or something like that.

Sorry you couldn't run it. The error about opening the window is most likely because your graphics card doesn't support OpenGL 3.3. I have plans to lower the requirements to OpenGL 3.0, hopefully I'll be able to do that soon.
Oh! Well, I have Intel HD Graphics, which isn't good  gaming, though it can run most 2D games, but surely doesn't support OpenGL 3.x. Updating to the latest driver may fix it, or will you make the requirements low?

Hope I get to play this game! The screenshots are nice. Smiley
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »

So, I finally played it and I like it. The only thing that I've found strange is camera. I'd feel more comfortable if player was in the center of the screen or follow the player when he moves. But it's for me. Very nice prototype, keep it up. Smiley

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »

My first thought was that this looks a bit like ANNE. But the movie shows that it's clearly more like Cave Story.

I think the game looks and feels really good, judging by the movie. I'm not really into horror. I can take about as much of it as in System Shock 2. It's also a genre that is hard to do right. But, you should always do what feels right for you. Making a game that you don't enjoy playing yourself is not a good idea.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:29:07 PM by Digital Awakening » Logged

Follow me on Twitter @M_Esko
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 01:02:01 AM »

Ya'll make me jealous of not being able to play the game. Sad
kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 03:46:40 PM »

I have been hard at work on my engine, mainly adding the ability to define entity templates in configuration files, and use those templates in the map editor (Tiled) to add entities to levels.

You can now shoot things, and they explode! The explosion actually spawns a new
entity that I have defined in a template file, so its all editable without having
to recompile anything.

Playable build: http://caseybanner.ca/dropbox/caracal.zip - you need the MSVC 2012 Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=30679 as well.

A video with sound is here:  http://caseybanner.ca/dropbox/caracal_2.mp4

Here is a shot of the editor:

This is what the crate template looks like:
Code:
Position:

Aspect:
  health: 20
  sprite: items
  collidable: true
  collision_offset: [0,-4]
  collision_extents: [6,4]
  layer: 3
  animation:
    start_frame: 0
    end_frame: 0
    loop_frame: -1
    frame_time: 0.0

Defense:
  defense: 0
  death_entity_template: template_explosion

And the player template:

Code:
Position:

Body:
  run_acceleration: 400
  run_deceleration: 600
  run_friction: 500
  gravity: 500
  max_run_speed: 120
  max_fall_speed: -200
  jump_velocity: 230
  min_jump_velocity: 115

idle_animation:
    end_frame: 0

run_animation:
    end_frame: 1
    loop_frame: 0
    frame_time: 0.066666

jump_animation:
    start_frame: 2
    end_frame: 2

fall_animation:
    start_frame: 3
    end_frame: 3

footstep_soundcue:
    volume: 0.8
    random: true
    sounds:
      - snd_footstep_4
      - snd_footstep_4_1

Aspect:
  sprite: sprites
  collidable: true
  collision_extents: [5,8]
  layer: 4

Light:
  color: [1,1,1]
  range: 256
  brightness: 0.8

Attack:
  sprite: weapons
  damage: 10
  max_projectiles: 10
  projectile_decay_time: 0.4
  weapon_offset: [6,-3]
  projectile_speed: 400
  projectile_spawn_offset: [8,2]
  fire_rate: 8
  lightmap_frame: 9

weapon_animation:
    end_frame: 3
    loop_frame: 0
    one_shot: true
    frame_time: 0.03

shoot_animation:
    start_frame: 4
    end_frame: 6
    frame_time: 0.05

hit_animation:
    start_frame: 7
    end_frame: 8
    frame_time: 0.03

Defense:
  defense: 5

Now I'm going to start working on integrating lua so I can implement AI and triggers.

Mods: I believe this post was moved in error? It was supposed to be in Dev Logs, it appears that someone moved it to playtesting.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:33:30 PM by kcbanner » Logged

kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »

Another update!

I started integrating the lua scripting language into my engine. I can now define components completely in lua and attach them to entities.

For example, here is an "alarm light" component:

It's script:

Code:
AlarmLightComponent = class(nil, {});

function AlarmLightComponent:OnInit(parentComponent)
   self.uptime = 0;
   self.parentComponent = parentComponent;
   self.lightComponent = self.parentComponent:getLightComponent(); 
end

function AlarmLightComponent:OnPreUpdate(dt)
   self.uptime = self.uptime + dt;
   brightness = (math.sin(2 * math.pi * self.uptime) * 0.5) + 0.5;
   self.lightComponent:setBrightness(brightness);
end

I also used it to fade out the light on the explosion:

Here is a 60fps mp4 of these effects: http://caseybanner.ca/dropbox/caracal_fade2.mp4

My next step will be to integrate my events system with lua so that I can do even more stuff in my scripts!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »

The lighting effects here are wonderful, definitely provide a nice tense vibe. Following this

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 06:57:02 AM »

I've been working on my character art:

I'm trying to make the player feel smaller in comparison to the current environment. I don't think I really have the feeling yet of the player being alone in an abandoned spaceship.

Messing around with some enemies:

I haven't decided if I want to have enemies which hurt you when they touch you, or only when they "attack" ala Risk of rain.

Here is a 60fps mp4 of the new art and enemy animation (placeholder): http://caseybanner.ca/dropbox/caracal_enemy.mp4

Using a smaller character has revealed some problems with my collision detection system for the player, and I think I'll move to a sensor based approach instead of my current approach which is a single bounding box for the whole character.

I actually have been playing Risk of Rain lately and I really like the feel the larger environments give. I think I need to strike a balance between more open areas, perhaps with more ambient light, vs the closed off areas. Dead Space 3 did this well so maybe I'll have to go play that again.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »

I absolutely love new character style. Feels more horror-ish now. And more solid, I guess. Keep it up! Smiley

kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »

More art changes! I decided I would go to 3x scale from 2x. I want to reveal less of the level to the player. I added a bunch of silhouette elements to the test level I have to make it feel more like a ship, and I think its working.

I added the first enemy!

Shots of the level:

FraktalZero
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »

Hey I see you added more colors and new character art. Looking good!
kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »

Oh hey, I saw your message last night but forgot to respond! That definitely helped me get a better handle on my character lighting Smiley. Thanks man!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic