Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:39:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs1849: a city builder sim set in the gold rush
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: 1849: a city builder sim set in the gold rush  (Read 19570 times)
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

The art is awesome. i wish the characters were proportionate Smiley when I see your guys standing next to a door that goes up to their chest the beautiful illusion is broken Sad but its not a big deal. Game is looking cool.

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »

This is not really related to the game, but... I just was playing around with texture compression, and got this along the way.

I just love compression artifacts from PVRTC at high quantization levels (bottom right in the image). Looks almost like a woodcut meets glitch art. Smiley

(Click for full version)

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »

Fruit orchard in three different growth states.

You can also build distilleries to turn fruit into brandy, and keep your miners happy!  Toast Left

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »

Haven't posted anything in a long time, because I embarked on an epic journey of overhauling our entire UI, and almost didn't make it back alive. Smiley

But, to make up for it, here's a pretty comprehensive snapshot of where we are with the game right now:

(Click on image for full-sized version)

Most of the major game systems are in place, as are many of the art assets. But there's so much still left to do. As they say, the game is about 80% done, all that's left is the other 80%. 

Coffee

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »

We've been working mainly on scenarios for the story mode. Two down, many more to go.  Coffee

Trading with neighboring settlements is emerging as an important part of gameplay, so we're looking more into that. Here's an example of a trading map, first visual pass:

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »

Biomes!

The game changes depending on where in California you're playing. Approximate altitude and precipitation determine not just appearance, but also resources available - so mountains will be relatively rich in resources, while low, dry areas will support pastures and farming, but you'll probably have to buy building materials from elsewhere.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 12:58:56 AM »

These buildings look frickin' great! Good job. Really looking forward to playing it.

The terrain and ground textures are unfinished, right?

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 01:47:26 AM »

1849 is an anagram of 1984 Epileptic
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 05:40:33 AM »

All this building goodness and mainly the mine camp reminds me of age of empire 2 :D
doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:46 AM »

Haha, thanks! And yes, the ground is still unfinished - that's one of the next things on the list.

Funny you should mention AoE 2, it was one of our favorite games! Both it, and Caesar 3, definitely inspired the feel of this game... (even though this one is not an RTS Smiley )

verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »

Love the buildings. An animated gif of the game would be great.

It's all good.
doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 08:17:08 AM »

Yes, a gif is way overdue! I need to figure out how to capture one at 60fps though - I wonder if licecap could do it...

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »

Here's a view of a busy city street, with disaster looming on the horizon:

(1.2MB gif, oof! - click through for the full screen version)

One of these days I'll find something better than licecap for these big animations. Smiley  Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:47:26 PM by doihaveto » Logged

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »

x-post from screenshot saturday thread: just some UI work on the building store:

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »

Another iteration on workplace info UI.

Displaying informative details in an unobtrusive way is hard. Smiley

verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 12:45:30 AM »

The right side gui is perfect. But I have a problem with the grass. It's too green. Not enouge western.

It's all good.
doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »

Second pass at a map for trading with neighboring cities. This one no longer looks like an old photo. But now there's a danger of information overload - we'll need to revisit this again later.

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

The right side gui is perfect. But I have a problem with the grass. It's too green. Not enouge western.

Yup, we have a range of biomes, from almost stereotypical dusty western beiges, to this kind of rich green grass. We're trying to stay true to the California gold rush setting, though. A lot of it took place in the Sierra Nevada foothills, which are dense forested areas - that's why the green grass and evergreen trees are one of the options...

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »

Last night we had the first public showing of 1849, at the Good Game Club in San Francisco. It was an event put together by local indies - about 20 different teams showing their games in an art gallery. It was pretty awesome. Smiley

Anyway, here's our table, right before the opening. The game is actually running on a tablet, with HDMI out hooked up to a TV.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »

Haven't checked this thread for a while now but the game's really staring to shape into a sophisticated city management game. Wow!
The only constructive comment I'd say would be that the lack of shadows gives the game a bit of a static feeling. It feels somehow "flat" when it's animated, still.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic