Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:12:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIRKALLA
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: IRKALLA  (Read 445035 times)
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2014, 06:31:45 AM »

Awesome looking project! (I'm envious)  Beer!

I'd like to chime in on the whole "panty crisis". It also rubs me the wrong way, but I think it's not the panties themselves, but rather the way she takes off the trousers. I'm thinking that maybe having her wear overalls she walks out of before going into the mech could maybe make it less sexual and more practical. Then again, maybe not...

Don't take me wrong, I like the art, I just think it clashes with the tone of the rest of the game.

danjohncox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2014, 06:33:09 AM »

First. AWESOME animations and setting. Love nearly everything you`re doing there. Which is what made the undress animation that much more saddening. If you just wanna toss panties in that`s obviously up to you. I think it takes away from the character and starts to devolve her into just "eye candy" and fan service. But again, that's your choice, I just happen to agree that it's a weak choice.

If anyone wants to argue about the "logic" of getting in there with only underwear then I present this.

Thats only a colour swap too. Anyone could change those colours to stand out better against the background. That's simple and obviously within the ability of these guys. And Iron Man can wear a tuxedo inside his Ironman suit. Watch the beginning of Ironman 2. If you want fanservice just own up to it, it's fine, but don't try and just "logic" that away as something else.

Or hell, have a male character and do the same thing with tiny briefs to even it out.

Regardless of that ONE element, the rest is awesome and I can't wait to see more! Keep it up!!
danjohncox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2014, 06:36:24 AM »

Also. Who care what people are going to think. Do right by the character and world. My argument would be this only exists for sexiness. If that's the reason then maybe it's disingenuous to your character and world which is a worse mistake than what's popular or whatever the hell kotaku, me or anyone will think.
Jove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2014, 06:40:36 AM »

Facepalm You made it look like she has a pot belly. If you're into that, that's cool and all but not everyone is...
Rayiner
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2014, 06:43:40 AM »

Wow, this is awesome!
Moneyhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2014, 06:53:36 AM »

so the panties went away...? and now there is midrift. I think at this point you should just give her a jumpsuit rather than a bare midrift.

stickadtroja
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »

just want to chime in and say astonishing art, but the panties part brings it down. it feels lazy. everyone can use eye candy to attract attention, but your amazing pixel and animation abilities could easily stand on its on merits. she looks way cooler with the baggy pants anyway.
PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »

I also think the panties thing isn't that appropriate, it just seems a bit objectifying. The midrift is also somewhat the same, but better than the panties.

Facepalm You made it look like she has a pot belly. If you're into that, that's cool and all but not everyone is...

^ I think this is the kind of mindset that is worth keeping in mind when designing characters. In this case the default assumption when presented with a female character is that their appearance is designed to please them. Suppose this character did have a pot belly, is the only purpose of a female character's appearance to please sexual preferences? To conform to societal expectations of beauty?
tuaarita
Level 0

I can type here?

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »

nonsensical complains and "arguments"

wow
Spennerino
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »

I also enjoy the fanservice, but shorts instead of wearing 2 pairs of pants would be a nice compromise

Twitter: @Spennerino TIG: Mimix

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:13 PM »

Low resolution underwear visible for half a second?! My Word!
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »

Respectability is not measured in pixelated underwear length.

Great concept for the menu, and great art!

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2014, 01:56:38 PM »

Pantygate 2014

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »

Damn you panty haters  Wizard

RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »

Top notch pixel art absolutely gorgeous animation. But this bothered me about risk of rain also. The resolution of the sprites are so low, you almost have to squint to see the action on screen. I hope your game zooms in a little more.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
Jove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2014, 01:27:51 AM »

Suppose this character did have a pot belly, is the only purpose of a female character's appearance to please sexual preferences?

Ermm Yes! You can call me shallow if it makes you feel better.

To conform to societal expectations of beauty?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I bet you get upset when any women undresses...

Ripley's Panties

Conker534
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »

Also, I hope you will stand for your [artistic] vision and won't lean under the slightest wind of nonsensical complains and "arguments" about "how unrealistic your videogame is", haha.

PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2014, 03:18:20 AM »

Suppose this character did have a pot belly, is the only purpose of a female character's appearance to please sexual preferences?

Ermm Yes! You can call me shallow if it makes you feel better.

To conform to societal expectations of beauty?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I bet you get upset when any women undresses...

Ripley's Panties

I apologise, but I feel we are talking at cross-purposes, here. I do not believe you are shallow. I just think you err on the side of seeing women as sexual objects instead of people, given you just said "Yes" to the question "Is the only purpose of a female character's appearance to please sexual preferences?" without any caveats at all.

I would agree that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, although I'm not quite sure what relevance that has to this discussion. Neither do I see the need for a personal attack based on your hypothesis concerning my feelings about women in states of undress? I am assuming you just lashed out at me because I used your message as an example, for which I am sorry, I did not mean to 'target' you personally.

Also, I hope you will stand for your [artistic] vision and won't lean under the slightest wind of nonsensical complains and "arguments" about "how unrealistic your videogame is", haha.

I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone has critiqued the realism of the game. Overall people (including me!) seem really excited about this game and find its artwork beautiful! The only thing is that some of us find the overall piece is detracted from by (what appears to be) the main character removing their trousers before the game has even started.

It seems that the only reason for this graphical design decision is either:
A) Some plot-related thing that we don't know about yet, in which case all of us complaining will have to eat our own words, or
B) Perhaps a technical/art based reason, such as giving the character sprite enough contrast for jumping into the suit, grey trousers jumping into a grey suit would be hard to see (although I'd like to think alternative solutions exist), or
C) The female character is having its gender exploited to take advantage of what may be predominantly a male, heterosexual audience.

At the end of the day, this is a few pixels for a few hundred milliseconds on the menu-screen, and I appreciate that this may seem an overreaction. It's just that little things like this add up to the way people perceive women, and the way we relate to female characters.

There is nothing wrong with sexuality being expressed in games, but the way in which it is done can say very different things. I think as a medium we need to be wary of what messages we're sending out on these topics.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2014, 06:20:03 AM »

This looks lovely, OP!

Regarding the pants off scene... the pants under the pants variant looks odd because pants aren't normally cut (curved) like that, which is why someone thought the belly looked peculiar I guess. Also, pants under pants is also a bit surprising. Matryoshka!

But the original animation is problematic as well because she doesn't look quite casual. When the pants fall off it's almost like drapery falling off to reveal a statue. Ripley looks distracted when she undresses so the scene seems more natural. Another, much, much larger problem with your character is that she's not wearing Ripley's panties. Instead you choose some kind of heretic black thong. I guess Ripley won't be smiling down on you from her cryotube as she drifts across the starry sky.
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2014, 09:44:51 AM »

Arne knows panties. QFT
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic