Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:12:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIRKALLA
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: IRKALLA  (Read 452576 times)
Raveaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2015, 04:27:21 AM »

The art looks rad. But two things came to my mind:

1. The "feet" of the mechs are so small. You can't really recognise what is going on there.

2. Do the mechs breathe during the idle animation? That would not make sense. Or do the mechs just mimic the breathing motions of the pilots?
Verrazano
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 06, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »

This is one of those threads that every time I see it on the front page I have to click it. I love the art and I just can't wait to see it progress. Keep working hard on making this rockin' game. btw NEW YEAR NEW ARMOR! :D You guys two are awesome.
AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 08, 2015, 07:34:34 AM »

NEW YEAR, NEW ARMOR!

Am I late?  Who, Me?

Axez, Grant Ed.
Sjonsson
Level 0

Multi-hatter. Level design get's the love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: January 08, 2015, 08:20:07 AM »

It's been a while since I dropped in here but as far as I remember you're going strong still, nice job!

Any chance we can get our hands on a demo or something? I'd be happy to playtest and give you some feedback or just play it for fun.

Unity-chan is that ex that you'll never get over but on the same time will always regret.
ramenators
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 08, 2015, 04:41:29 PM »

NEW YEAR NEW ARMOR!!

Love the game so far guys! Looking forward to it!
Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 10, 2015, 04:20:05 AM »

Hi dudes!

The spots for the participants are now closed Smiley

They are:

@Mattie
@klamp
@Slader16
@Epoc
@Fawz
@feiss
@Runefrog
@crusty
@acatalept
@Trev
@Franklins Ghost
@Collarblind
@Spitznagl
@shpen
@InFlames
@agersant
@noct
@theseekr
@Netsu
@Skippi
@Cloudiest Nights
@FK in the Coffee
@RecidivistSW
@BenDLH
@Jin_K
@Mestre
@Quarry
@nmonte
@Janeator
@godDLL
@Spennerino
@knifeySpoonie
@exclamationmarker
@Shakhal
@jjhaggar
@Aurel300
@AxezDNyde
@ramenators

I will edit this post with the winners in a few minutes, good luck every one <3 Thanks for participating

And ours apologies to the people that we have disturbed with the generated spam ^__^U. We, for sure, will do it differently the next time. Maybe by asking for a RT on Twiter or a Like on our facebook page it would also spread the word more than this did Smiley

EDIT - The winners !!

We will send you a PM right now Smiley

The art looks rad. But two things came to my mind:

1. The "feet" of the mechs are so small. You can't really recognise what is going on there.

2. Do the mechs breathe during the idle animation? That would not make sense. Or do the mechs just mimic the breathing motions of the pilots?

3.-Also, demons doesn't exist

Glad you like the game dude, but don't take it so seriously Smiley People don't just get taller by eating mushrooms

Any chance we can get our hands on a demo or something?

Not yet Smiley

Thanks again for the support guys, see you soon
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:30:51 AM by Skydsgaard » Logged

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: January 10, 2015, 06:43:46 AM »

Ha even your little gif for the winners is awesome. congrats to them.. What a great comp gives me some things to think about for when we get some merch Smiley

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 10, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »

Yay!! :D

*edit*

Oh, wait. I just realized how you were using the gif to select the 3 winners. I thought each name in the .gif won.  Facepalm
oops lol, congrats to the winners!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:53:14 PM by Slader16 » Logged

ramenators
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »

I would totally pay for one of those shirts anyways XD
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2015, 02:29:02 PM »

I would totally pay for one of those shirts anyways XD
Same here  Grin

PartyPooper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 11, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »

why are you idiots excited by this collection of grayscale gifs
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 11, 2015, 03:19:52 PM »

I think the real question here is, why are you not?
Giggle

Hardcore2dacore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 11, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »

Damn thats beautiful. Great work look forward to more Smiley
AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2015, 01:53:20 AM »

Glad you like the game dude, but don't take it so seriously Smiley People don't just get taller by eating mushrooms
Woops! There goes my childish imagination!

I would be less excited if they were rainbow-colored.

And to conclude...
..., even if eating mushrooms does not make me tall, it might make you see rainbow-colored grayscale gifs!

Axez, Grant Ed.
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2015, 04:45:04 AM »

your graphics explaining the parallax issue [...] what did you use to generate them?

Matplotlib in an ipython notebook. Old habits from my uni/science days.

Do you have fixed layers of parallax? I mean, each 'prop' o 'thing' must be on one predefined layer that always has the same depth?
Yes. Kingdom has a fixed set of layers in the scene graph that we put objects in. They have ratios of 1, 3/4, 1/2, 1/3, 1/7, and 0. They are respectively named "Game", "BackgroundNear", "BackgroundFar", "BackdropNear", "BackdropFar", and "Sky".

Happy new year to you too! I feel it's gonna be an exciting one.

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
Janeator
Level 0

Slugcat mecha cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »

@Skydsgaard

So, as I and many others already asked before... when will we be able to purchase merch? Game release at least? Smiley

Looking at Irkalla and Rain World
ramenators
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 16, 2015, 10:54:38 PM »

@Skydsgaard

So, as I and many others already asked before... when will we be able to purchase merch? Game release at least? Smiley

I would also like to know, I would very quickly pay $20 for a shirt like this. I don't have enough awesome gaming shirts like this, nor will I ever.
Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 18, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »

@Hardcore2dacore Thanks!!

@KnifeySpoonie
@Ramenators
@Slader16
@Janeator

First of all dudes, a huge thanks to all of you, we are really flatered by your interest and support.

I already got a few PM about the merch and the response is the same. We would looove to be able to do it, but until we become a large evil coorporation, and have a merch departament, selling t-shirts is not profitable for us Smiley

The main thing is when we order such a small number of custom t-shirts from a printing store, the unit cost is so ridiculously high that it doesn't make any sense to think about selling it. And this is, without taking into consideration the time to prepare the package, to go to the post office etc...and we prefer to put that time into the game development itself ( it's going slow enough already ^___^U)

Buuut, we are going to be giving away t-shirst in the future for sure, to do more promotion stuff and at the conventions when we start to show our prototype to the world...

So, stay tuned Wink
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:23:53 PM by Skydsgaard » Logged

Skippi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 19, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »

@Hardcore2dacore Thanks!!

@KnifeySpoonie
@Ramenators
@Slader16
@Janeator

First of all dudes, a huge thanks to all of you, we are really flatered by your interest and support.

I already got a few PM about the merch and the response is the same. We would looove to be able to do it, but until we become a large evil coorporation, and have a merch departament, selling t-shirts is not profitable for us Smiley

The main thing is when we order such a small number of custom t-shirts from a printing store, the unit cost is so ridiculously high that it doesn't make any sense to think about selling it. And this is, without taking into consideration the time to prepare the package, to go to the post office etc...and we prefer to put that time into the game development itself ( it's going slow enough already ^___^U)

Buuut, we are going to be giving away t-shirst in the future for sure, to do more promotion stuff and at the conventions when we start to show our prototype to the world...

So, stay tuned Wink

Respect!!!
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 19, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »

And now, a little bit of tech update. This couple of weeks I've been working on some 'tools' (You might already know, we are basically using Python for most of our processes).

After the prefetch method explained in my previous post we needed a way to cut big images, into smaller tiles so they can be prefetched. That is not a difficult task (although it has boring details, like storing a file format, loading, etc..), but a couple of details must be taken into account.

Lets take as an example this image marked with pink squares of what would be 128 x 128 pixels (the images are actually scaled down), and I've marked with green what would be the size of our viewport:

We use 512 x 512 textures. (Not using bigger ones to have a smaller granularity to load / unload textures).

1. Maintain the locality on the texture / atlas.
The naive approach would be to cut the image at the same sizes of the texture size, in this case a 512x512, we would end up with something like this:

This would be wasting texture space for nothing.

Another way woul be to cut in small tiles, for example of 128x128, and then put one after each other like this:
From my point of view, this is a drawback: if the image is very big (for example a background of 4000x500 pixels), we know that the tiles for each row are in different textures for sure: a minimum of 4 textures would be necessary at any viewport position (and that could be worse).

So we decided that the way to put the tiles, is by first cutting the image into rectangles of viewport size (rounding up to a multiple of the tile size), and then cut those squares in the actual tiles and "pushing" them on to the textures, ending with something like this:

This way we put the tiles closer.

2. Offset the image coordinates

And last, but not least we must offset a little bit inside the uv coordinates for each of our tiles.

For example, for a tile containing the cat:

We don't want to put the coordinate exactly in the limit between one tile and the other (the red dot). Because when we use the "nearest" sample we could get the neighbor pixel. We neither want it to be in the center of the first pixel (yellow dot), because we would get artifacts when using a real resolution of 2x, 3x of the base resolution (a real pixel would fall in the limit between pixels). So we set a small percentage of the pixel (green dot, we are using a 5%, so we could start to get artifacts at 20x of the base resolution)

So, the basic unit of the Prefetch 2D for images are rectangles of the viewport size.

I must point also, that we feed several images in the same run of the tool to not leave empty tiles in any texture.

For now we will stay with this very basic approach, but there are some improvements / optimizations thaw would be cool to implement to save texture space:
- remove the completely transparent tiles: if the image has a tile that is completely transparent that quad could be removed.
- try to detect big squares of the same color and make the four u,v coordinates point to one single pixel in the texture.

However, at this stage this is good enough and we will move to other stuff. Only coming back to this if we really find that we are eating too much texture memory.

I'm gonna hava a Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic