Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:51:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIRKALLA
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: IRKALLA  (Read 451619 times)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: June 08, 2016, 11:58:26 PM »

The previous page will fill you in on the current situation - he's working on recruiting and expanding his team, grueling work but fair fuckin play for doing it Skyd!

hearto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: June 09, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »

The previous page will fill you in on the current situation - he's working on recruiting and expanding his team, grueling work but fair fuckin play for doing it Skyd!

Oh thanks, I found the reply with the current situation, as you said I had to lurk one more page
Here is it for the people who don't want to read the drama on previous pages
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35320.msg1247509#msg1247509

MarteloNero
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: July 04, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »

Hey!! Are you still looking for a programmer? We of tower of samsara would like to propose an exchange!! We have extra programming force but lack art, and our artist liked your skills. So how about we see if we can settle something!?

Look for me on Facebook: danilo ganzella

my skype: danilo.kidguru

Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 11, 2016, 07:00:36 AM »

Hi dudes! Thanks a lot for the kind comments!

Is there an old prototype build for this game? I mean, we all love the art and description of this game, but how exactly is it meant to play?

@absolute8 there isn’t any prototype working properly now that can give you a real idea of what the gameplay mechanics are about. I hope I can show you guys this soon Smiley

he's working on recruiting and expanding his team, grueling work but fair fuckin play for doing it Skyd!

@hyperduck ahah, it was! but the amazing people I met during the process totally made it worth it.

We of tower of samsara would like to propose an exchange!!

@MarteloNero Hi! thanks a lot for the offer but even if I would like to help, Irkalla is consuming all my time right now (just as designer/artist Smiley. Anyway, I just saw the other day that @maruki ( she has been really kind to me helping me during the recruitment process, thanks again if you are reading this!xD) has joined your team, so congrats! she is an amazing artist, for sure she is going to do a great job helping you.

Now the update! Smiley

As some of you already know, recently and as a result of everything that has happened, I have decided to change my strategy and put aside the partner relationship and start to hire (just for a while I hope... for a bunch of reasons but mostly because it still feels lonely). This way if things go wrong, for whatever reason, I will still own a piece of code, and the game will not start from zero again Smiley

So, here are the news! @jujuadams has joined the team as programmer Smiley It took us a while to make things moving but he has been putting things together, making the main structure to start building the game and developing an amazing level editor!! Still in a very premature phase but yeah!!, it has slopeeess already on it, I love it <3

I really hope at last to be able to start making proper and constant updates with the code progress Smiley

And the last thing, three years has passed since I started this thread with just a couple of mockups Smiley and lots of things have happened since then…
I just wanted to give you a huge thank you! for, no matter what, still being interested in the project and keep supporting it <3

Here is what I have been working on lately in order to show you what I have in mind for the transition from the mainmenu to the first level. Hope you like it.

Thanks for still being there!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:22:27 AM by Skydsgaard » Logged

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 11, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »

The animations in this video have so much weight to them and at the same time feel so snappy, great work!

What I enjoyed the most though was the implied worldbuilding conveyed in these first screens. Darran Anderson (the author of "Imaginary Cities") recently published an essay on cyberpunk in which he pointed out that the future will be much older than our present and I think you absolutely nailed that aspect with the structures that make up the final screen. Really makes you curious about what culture built them and what might have happened in the past.

Wishing you all the best for further development!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: August 11, 2016, 12:39:21 PM »

as another guy behind an art-first programming-second game, i salute you for keeping this up. make this come out.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: August 11, 2016, 08:22:57 PM »

Hope you like it.

I like f'ing love it. Can't wait to see where it goes from here : )

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: August 12, 2016, 03:30:26 AM »

Skyd, dude, that's some sweet sweet smoke and dust animation going on there! Also, I'm so happy to see your updates! Keep up the awesome stuff :DDDD

ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: August 12, 2016, 04:57:42 AM »

Seeing this update makes me super happy man. It's so good to hear things are progressing <3

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
tanis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: August 14, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »

Finally an update! It's so good to see that things are working out nicely!

Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 15, 2016, 08:31:17 AM »

So much love <3 SmileySmileySmiley Thanks a lot for the comments guys, glad you like it.

the future will be much older than our present

@Breakdown Epiphanies You are totally right dude. I am trying to create some really old futuristic ambience. But I would also like to add that when I work on it, I try not to think like... “Planet Earth - year 3700”. In my mind is more like another dimensional plane or alternative reality. Maybe you have already seen a soda can somewhere in the game but it isn't from any brand of this universe xD

So, here are a couple of little details from the last video.

And a very very raw test idea for the UI inside the buildings. Once you select what you are looking for, it will unfold with more options ( to do next ).

more soon Smiley
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 03:02:08 AM by Skydsgaard » Logged

JShrum.Composer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: August 19, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »

Saw this game quite a while back and thought it looked fantastic.
Just came across it again, and I'm glad to see things are still coming along after a long delay.

Keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

I make music! Take a listen:
WebsiteSoundcloud
Howard Day
Level 1

Huge fan of spaceships and exposions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: August 19, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »

Looks amazing, dude. I love the smoke and swirl effects in the intro transition, and also the pixeled censor bar. Love your humor, man. I cannot wait to see more. I hope you found the help you needed? I really want to see this game succeed.

Main Art guy on Wings of St Nazaire, here's our Devlog, and my Personal Website. SPACESHIP!
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 20, 2016, 06:29:29 AM »

Glad to see you guys are back on development. Hope to see this progress!
Juju
Level 0

Grumpy Pug

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: September 02, 2016, 02:46:45 AM »

The animations in this video have so much weight to them and at the same time feel so snappy, great work!

Funny you should mention that, because the first topic for a little progress report from the Land of Code is

Why GameMaker's Animation System Isn't Designed For Artists

It should be pointed out that's probably not intended for dedicated artists. Still, it's not good enough for Irkalla.

It's undeniable that Irkalla has some very sexy art, and you're right, the animations have weight and detail in spades. You can feel the servos moving. The aesthetic and the way it's being expressed is what attracted me to this project in the first place. The programming mentality here is necessarily a supportive one - I need to build tools and features that lets Skydsgaard do his thing.

After building an MVP, it became very clear that the foremost priority was facilitating animations to bring each and every asset to life. I'm using GameMaker for its extraordinary production tempo - you can build games extremely fast. I'm a great believer in fail-early-fail-often and having the tools already in place to build half a game gets you closer to that high frequency iteration sweetspot. This comes at a price, however.

Whilst I built a working platformer with the requisite features in a couple of days, the default animation system simply wasn't supporting the fantastic work that Skydsgaard has been producing. Animations were linear, almost static, and lacked temporal variation and detail. We're using Photoshop to put together the artwork and it allows for individual frame timings. Bringing that design environment closer to the game, allowing for subtle tweaks at any point in development without interrupting the flow, is absolutely essential.

GameMaker games tend to skew towards timing locked into the framerate due to its architecture; the image_speed internal variable controls how long it takes for an animation to play by incrementing a counter every frame. Irkalla will run at 60FPS, naturally, but I'm wary of locking any timing to the framerate. It bit Hyper Light Drifter in the ass and it bit Nuclear Throne in the ass... as my mother told me, "Don't double up on other people's mistakes."

The animation system needed to accomplish three things:
  • Allow for easy adjustment using human-readable configuration in an external file
  • Be framerate independent
  • Allow for custom timings per frame, and be able to attach other meta data to each frame

The solution was, all together now, Javascript Object Notation and Per-Second Timing.

Yeah, it's a bit clumsy and requires more hand-inputting of numbers that I'd like, but GM supports JSON natively and it gives us the design space to implement absolutely anything per-frame in the future. Indeed, we've already used the metadata feature to attach the player's primary weapon to the character for pinpoint animation flexibility, even with swappable assets.

Here's a sample of the JSON (values liable to be changed at any time, by design!):

Code:
{
  "spr_mc_l_hit": {
    "gun y": {
      "1": 21,
      "2": 21,
      "3": 21,
      "4": 21
    },
    "gun x": {
      "1": 13,
      "2": 13,
      "3": 13,
      "4": 13
    },
    "delay": {
      "1": 0.2,
      "2": 0.2,
      "3": 0.1,
      "4": 0.1
    }
  }
}

With thanks to YAL for his JSON Minifier that allowed me to build and format these without too much dicking around. You'll notice that the delay times - technically they're dwell times for each frame - are decimals. These are in the same units (seconds) as Photoshop so transferring data from one to the other is as simple - and error-averse - as possible.

GameMaker very conveniently has the internal current_time read-only system variable that allows me to read a millisecond-accurate time. You can also store the start time of each frame and use a roll-over error value as well, but I've found the start time method to be faster to program and faster to debug. Actually achieving this system in GameMaker requires some messing around with the internal system for traversing JSON (for those who use GM, learn your data structures!) and is probably a bit too specific to be exciting for the UE4/Unity devs among you.

Trying to bring the game engine closer to the design tools that people use (external or internal) is always worth it. Spending time on good workflow early on yields massive benefits when things get tense close to deadlines!

Sister post on Reddit
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:26:54 AM by Juju » Logged

digitallava
Level 0

Making AUTOMATA.. weird scifi game

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 02, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »

I don't 100% understand everything in this post but goddammit if its not incredibly interesting and inspiring. I've just been importing sprites from photoshop (into gamemaker) and duplicating images to lengthen moments of the animation... amateur hour over here.

Gonna look more into this technique, thank you.

Also I've been lurking on IRKALLA for fucking ever. So glad it's back.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:11:44 AM by digitallava » Logged

ezolhof
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 13, 2016, 07:24:32 AM »

PM'ed you!
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: September 13, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »

What a beautifully written post!

For the past couple years I've been so fascinated with the Irkalla thread.  Partly because of the beautiful pixel art and animation, but mostly because the art alone has created so much hype and fanaticism with so little actual game progress.  The staying power of this thing on these forums is kind of miraculous.  Something about this project just gets people excited.

Anyways I'm so happy that Irkalla has found it's programmer and I can't wait for more dev posts.  Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, Juju.  Can I ask what your programming/game development background is?

Caravan: devlog | website
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 14, 2016, 07:06:37 AM »

The art style is just beautiful, I'm really glad to hear that development will continue now that you have found a new programmer, I will be waiting (im)patiently  Who, Me?

Juju
Level 0

Grumpy Pug

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: September 21, 2016, 05:58:49 AM »

Quote from: crusty
Can I ask what your programming/game development background is?

Sure. I've used GameMaker for... well over a decade, probably somewhere in the 13/14 year area. It was a hobby until a few years ago when I started reintegrating into gamedev after five years out in the wilderness being a stage manager/sound engineer. I've helped out on production for dozens of released games (mostly under NDA) doing optimisation, bug fixing, and QA; most recently, I've been working on Hyper Light Drifter on something rather exciting (which will be revealed in under a week I hope). I dev full time, mostly in GameMaker.

Byyy the way, I run a GameMaker-focused Slack group if people fancy chatting to highly experienced devs.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic