Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:15:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthereal - On Hiatus
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Ethereal - On Hiatus  (Read 47651 times)
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 01:51:15 AM »

Devlog Update #17 - 11/16/13

I've been working hard on a big update for that game that makes keybinding options functional and adds a save/load system. Both of those are more work than it sounds like, so its not going to be an enormous update, but it just as much work as a big update. I love the composer's latest song so much that I want to share it with you guys! One of the worlds you play through the memory of searching for your lost dog. The world looks like rainy city streets and its a very sad memory. This is the music for that world: Lost Cause.

As for art, we really have had a good amount of art that we could show, but its art that's not complete. We're doing a lot of art at once, so at random points we'll have a ton of art to show. For now though, I don't have much art to show. However, recently I was working on ideas for filtering sprites. I don't want a very pixel-ated appearence, and there doesn't seem to be a good way to do 2D AA in game maker. So I decided to use an hq2x filter, then scale the images back down in game. It'll work as a form of AA in itself and the edges will be cleaner in general. Here's an example:

The top part scales the character's sprite 2x using Linear Scaling. It's blurry and pixel-ated. The bottom part scaled the character's sprite using an hq2x filter. It has clean lines and looks a lot nicer, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:24:44 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »

Devlog Update #18 - 11/24/13

Nothing spectacular to announce. Been working on some more intensive parts of the game's programming for the next update. This update comes with keybinding and a few optimizations and fixes.

Version 0.0.3.0: Patch Notes
01. Added functionality to the keybinding system.
02. Added keybinding options for every current game control.
03. Added error message for keybinding options when trying to set a key that's already assigned.
04. Fixed a few issues with how help text is displayed.
05. Cleaned up and optimized various code.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »

Devlog Update #19 - 12/02/13

Version 0.0.3.3: Patch Notes
01. Added a configuration file that holds the game's settings.
02. The game now checks if a config file exists and if it doesn't, it creates one with default settings.
03. The game now saves all changes made in the Settings Menu to the configuration file.
04. Implemented saving by pressing F11 that saves all variables important to game progress.
05. Implemented loading by pressing F12 that loads game progress and takes you to the world room.
06. Edited how the config files are saved for better readability.
07. Removed the Brightness and Contrast options from the game.
08. Added world doors and a world door room currently with only one door.
09. Made rooms non-persistent, but specific objects save their state even on exit.
10. The player now starts in the world room.
11. Known Issue: The lack of loading screens can make things feel abrupt and causes the weather system to look odd at first.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I've been on vacation, but I'm back!

We are also looking for a new artist currently. If you're interested, refer to the collaboration thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37698.msg977116#msg977116
Artist found!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:25:20 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »

Devlog Update #20 - 12/29/13

So, we've been working with a new artist lately who is fantastic. I've been working heavily on the design document, managing everything, planning and I'm halfway through a big patch for the game.

New Enemies!
There are four new enemies for the game: Restraint, Pain, Fear and Anger. Each of them are hell hounds that come through dark 'hell voids' to take the player's soul to hell.

Title Screen Concept Art

We also have a new awesome song, but I'll leave that for the next update.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:15:11 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »

Devlog Update #21 - 01/02/14

Big update to the game today along with a new song to show you guys from the composer!
This is the song that plays in the world room, which is filled with clouds. The song is supposed to feel airy.

Version 0.0.4.0: Patch Notes
01. Increased sizes of rooms and views to match the game's new native resolution: 1920x1080.
02. V-Sync should now function properly.
03. Made the V-Sync option unavailable unless the game is in fullscreen.
04. A little code optimization, fixing a few issues with stuttering.
05. Fixed issue with rain that caused it to make the entire game appear like it was stuttering.
06. Made other small adjustments to rain and how it appears.
07. Added a loading screen that ends accurately. Now rain will be already hitting the ground when the room is loaded.
08. Removed fullscreen anti-aliasing from the game. (It changed nothing and was unnecessary)
09. Increased programming versatility by re-organizing much of the code into seperate scripts and objects.
10. Removed Saving and Loading with an autosave system. The game will instead auto-save every time anything important happens.
11. Changed confirmations in settings menus to something more sensible.
12. More code optimization that should increase true fps (which is already over 1000)
13. In windowed mode the window will now always be in the center of the screen.
14. Added a title screen with a temporary concept background, but fully working menu.
15. Fixed an issue where confirmations would be skipped the first time, every time.
16. Fixed an issue where the "Apply" button in Video Settings changed V-sync instead of applying anything.
17. Fixed a misplaced block by removing it.
18. Fixed an issue where one of the fonts was not anti-aliased properly.
19. Fixed an issue where entering a gate would take you back to the room you're already in.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:25:57 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

Devlog Update #20 - 12/29/13

So, we've been working with a new artist lately who is fantastic. I've been working heavily on the design document, managing everything, planning and I'm halfway through a big patch for the game.

New Enemies!
There are four new enemies for the game: Restraint, Pain, Fear and Anger. Each of them are hell hounds that come through dark 'hell voids' to take the player's soul to hell.

Title Screen Concept Art

We also have a new awesome song, but I'll leave that for the next update.

The art is looking awesome! Smiley
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »

Thanks!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 07:15:34 PM »

Devlog Update #22 - 01/19/14

Been working on a big update, which I've finished today! It's my biggest update so far, but the major change is slopes. Now rather than having boring flat edges to everything, anything and everything can be as bumpy as the artist wants to make it! Took a lot of coding, tweaking and fixing but it'll be well worth it. I think 2D art looks a lot better when things have texture to it rather than being nearly flat. I also added mouse controls! Now players can use the mouse to navigate menus. That's a huge milestone because it means I'm completely done with the games controls! Mouse, keyboard and gamepad all work perfectly!

Version 0.0.4.5: Patch Notes
01. Redesigned player movement system to allow for slopes.
02. Redesigned player collision to allow for ease of level design and allow for slopes.
03. Added a mouse cursor only visible while in a menu.
04. Added the ability to navigate menus using the mouse cursor.
05. Added function to the mouse wheel for changing settings.
06. The player can no longer move during the loading screen.
07. Changed code of Squeamish Spirits to accomodate slopes.
08. Added the possibility for Squeamish Spirits on the bottom of platforms.
09. Reworked player/squeamish spirit collision code to work with slopes.
10. Made it possible for the player to hit the bottom of platforms above him without causing issues.
11. Fixed an issue where disabled (grayed out) options would still be selectable with the mouse.
12. Fixed an issue where the game would freeze during a while loop.
13. Fixed an issue where the player would teleport when colliding with a platform edge.
14. Fixed an issue where the player would sometimes bounce infinitely when landing on slopes.
15. Fixed an issue where the mouse cursor would be lost after changing resolutions.
16. Fixed an issue where the game would crash in sections of the title screen options.
17. Fixed an issue where the resolution first displayed in the video settings wouldn't match the current resolution used.
18. Fixed an issue where settings weren't being saved when using the mouse or gamepad to exit the menu.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »

Devlog Update #23 - 01/29/14

Hey guys! So, the artist is now about done with other projects and able to focus entirely on Ethereal. This means that we're switching our focus entirely to making a teaser trailer, some concept art and some promo art. So the artist will be working on a lot of the things needed to make the teaser. Hopefully by mid-march we'll have enough to start a kickstarter. Around the same time, I'll be submitting the game to greenlight in the hopes of getting on Steam. In other news, my game company's name is no longer Toasty Muffins. It's now: Despawn. It's more professional, more video game related and just sounds a lot cooler. Someone pointed out its close to Respawn Entertainment's name, but I seriously doubt this will cause any confusion. So the new website is also www.despawn.net. Thanks for reading guys!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 09:14:33 PM »

This brings up an interesting question though: What would be dangerous to a ghost?  Undecided Maybe a cross or something... If this game will have a bit of humor in it, you could use the Luigi method and have suction pipes Grin

What about a ghostbuster!!?! It would be an awesome reference Smiley. But if you want a more depressive atmosphere... Cry

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that one of the levels in the game is going to be a haunted house and I decided that I would be adding in ghost busters! I'm trying to make them as unsilly as possible while still being ghost busters. They're basically just humans, except, they can detect you near them and try to capture you.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 08:17:02 AM »

First, I want to say this game looks awesome (especially the story)! I'm an avid fan of games that tend to focus more on hardships or seriousness (not that it is in my nature).

That leads me to a statement you made earlier about the overall feel and atmosphere for this game:

I generally do like a little comedy in everything I do, but with this game I'm trying to back off on the silliness. I feel it'll take away from the seriousness of the story. The whole thing is pretty depressing so players will be a little taken aback if there's too much silly. My idea for dangers is that its not actually death or harm coming to the ghost. In the game, ghosts in general are a little confused and unsure of whats going on around them. So, I figure if you contact something dangerous, an animation will play of the player simply looking freaked out and poofing away, then reappearing at the checkpoint. That way itll simply look like the character got freaked out and ran. There are, however, a few actual dangers. One being "Seething Spirits". They're basically ghosts that are very angry and have debris swirling around them. If you get near, they swipe at you and you run. The animation will probably be the same, though the way I have it set up, I could easily add different reactions for each type of danger.

I want to say that this atmosphere of "seriousness", and "depression" is being represented fairly well in the music! Though the Pause Music and Main Theme pieces seem more akin to a tune you'd hear in a Tim Burton film, I believe that "Purgatory", and "Lost Cause" are contemplative, and simply wonderful!

I can't wait to hear more!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »

Thanks! Glad to hear you like it! :D After I made that post a long time ago I contemplated things and decided that I wanted the game to be very serious, but its also a very depressing game. I wanted just a couple very small things that would lighten the burden so to say. The pause music is the perfect example of that. You're playing this depressing game and you pause the game. It makes things not feel so heavy. However, since its only in the pause music it doesn't really take away from the game's feel. As for the Main theme music, I really like the finished product as I was hoping for something with a lot of organ and that musical sound of bones (don't know the instrument's name). It's the music that also plays in world 1 which is a cemetery. I'll be posting a new song tomorrow, so stay tuned! Thanks for the feedback!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »

Devlog Update #24 - 02/01/14

New song for you guys: Eternal Flames
This is the song used in the beginning of the game when you (as a ghost) are floating over your own dead body. It's supposed to sound dark and a little sad. I think it turned out perfect. The song might be used in a few other spots too, but its mostly for that starting room. Not much other news, except I'll have a new build tomorrow that I'll be sending out to you testers.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »

Devlog Update #25 - 02/02/14

As promised, I have a new build done today! It's mostly bug fixes, so I won't bore you guys with the patch notes, but if you're one of the game's testers, check your email! This new build is very testable. Bigger news: The artist has finished the game's title screen! This is without the title and options there, just the background:

Click for full resolution:

We also plan on adding animated and randomized falling leaves blowing in the wind.

You may have noticed the first post is completely different. I revamped it much for the better. I also now have a twitter account for the company, so if you're into that sort of thing: www.twitter.com/despawngames
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:12:52 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »

Devlog Update #26 - 02/03/14

For the first time ever... we are finally able to show you some animations! We have two player animations and one of the "Seething Spirit" enemy. Hope you guys like em!

Player Idle

Player Moving

Seething Spirit Idle

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »

Devlog Update #27 - 02/04/14

No art, music or patch notes to show off today, but we're working hard on making the resources needed for a teaser trailer right now. Some people may be wondering if we'll make a demo for the game. Well... I'm not sure. It's not really the kind of game that works well with a demo since its so story-centric. We may put a demo out, but it'll be much later in development, when we have much more of the level design done. If you really want to play the game, you can still become a tester, of course ([email protected]). Otherwise, you can always support us by following us on twitter!

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2014, 12:18:50 AM »

Is the trailer going to have any gameplay footage? Looking forward to seeing how it plays.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2014, 12:30:13 AM »

As for art, we really have had a good amount of art that we could show, but its art that's not complete. [snip]

I for one would love to see your WIP graphics :-)

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »

Is the trailer going to have any gameplay footage? Looking forward to seeing how it plays.

The first trailer will be a teaser trailer, but will contain a quick montage of a few gameplay elements. The longer trailer we make much later down the line will have much more gameplay. However, around the time the teaser comes out I'll be trying to show you guys more screenshots and gameplay gifs (of which I have none so far).

As for art, we really have had a good amount of art that we could show, but its art that's not complete. [snip]

I for one would love to see your WIP graphics :-)
Thanks! Well, I said that back with my previous artist. My new artist works insanely fast so any art I show you will be finished simply because there is no "WIP" art. Tomorrow, I'll be posting an update with a new sprite animation. I don't want to post new art too often, because when he starts work on level backgrounds (which will take him 2 weeks each most likely) I'll have nothing to show for those two weeks. So I'd rather save some stuff for those rainy days.

Thanks for posting guys! I feel like this thread needs more discussion. Tongue

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic