Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:12:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthereal - On Hiatus
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Ethereal - On Hiatus  (Read 48020 times)
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »

So, I've decided that I'm going to start showing gameplay gifs. They'll be mostly placeholder art at first, but currently I haven't given you guys much proof that I've done any real programming (I've done a lot, don't worry). So look forward to a new gameplay gif atleast once or twice a week from now on!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »

Devlog Update #39 - 03/12/14

Drumroll please... our first official gameplay gif:

What is happening here:
1. Nearly all of that is programmer art except the player and the 'void'.
2. The black and red glitch is a "Hell Void". If the player touches one, he is sucked in and 'dies'.
3. The thing sitting on the void is a 'hellhound' named "Pain". He sits in one spot and tracks you if you're close and nothing is blocking his view. If you use an ability within his view, he grabs you with his vision and pulls you into the void.
4. The red flash and screen shake happen because the player tried to use an ability within the hellhound's view.
5. The art for Pain is actually just the concept art for him with a green arrow drawn on to show where he is looking.
6. The closer a player is to a void, the more it shakes violently, eager to send him back to hell. There will also be plenty of voids around levels without hellhounds on them, so the player will have to avoid those sometimes.
7. Lastly, in the final game, there will be an animation for the player where he is looking terrified and trying to pull himself away, sorta like being dragged away by someone. This animation will be used for being grabbed by hellhounds and being sucked into voids.

You know, making a gif was surprisingly easy. I remember it being way more complicated.

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »

Really cool stuff, nice gamplay mechanics and some nice and straight forward FX to bring it to life, good work, also love the dieing gif up above.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »

Really cool stuff, nice gamplay mechanics and some nice and straight forward FX to bring it to life, good work, also love the dieing gif up above.

Thank you very much! :D
Holy crap, I'm #26 on IndieDB. I didn't realize people liked gameplay gifs that much. O_O

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »

Devlog Update #40 - 03/14/14

Here is a WORK IN PROGRESS of the cabin that the player lies dead in at the beginning of the game:

The finished version will have the player's dead body in the middle and the cabin will be on fire.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »

Hey guys, not really big enough for its own update, but the artist just randomly made me a game icon. So here it is:

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »

Devlog Update #41 - 03/16/14

Another new gameplay gif for you guys!

What's happening here?:
1. This is another gif of hellhounds, but this time it's the hellhound Restraint! This guy will stalk you when you're not looking, but play shy when you are looking. If they get to close, they'll grab you and drag you back to hell.
2. Obviously, it's still completely programmer art except the voids and main character.
3. The things the player is bouncing on are the Squeamish Spirits. When you touch them, they panic and throw their 'arms' in the air, sending you flying away.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2014, 01:17:14 AM »

Hey guys, quick update about translation. So far, I have 6 translators for the game which means the game will definitely be in atleast Chinese, Russian, French, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch and of course English. Like I've said before, I want the game to be in as many languages as possible. It's only about a page or two of text for the game total. If you're interested in translating, send me an email ([email protected]). Even if the language you could help with is listed above, I could still use your help!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 06:19:26 PM »

Make sure to follow me on twitter, guys: @despawngames
Sometimes I post stuff there that I don't post here or anywhere else.

ARRD-ART
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »

Looks great! Has a sort of Journey vibe to it. Loving it!
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »

Looks great! Has a sort of Journey vibe to it. Loving it!
Thank you!

Sorry I don't have anything to show/tell you guys today, but if you have any questions about the game (or me) you can always ask! I love answering questions. Discussion helps me improve and refine my ideas.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »

Actually, I do have news! Game Maker announced they're adding in PS4, PS Vita and PS3 export modules. This means, there's a 95% chance I'll be releasing Ethereal on these platforms as well!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »

Devlog Update #42 - 03/21/14

Our third gameplay gif!

I realized I've never actually shown the game's main mechanic, Flipping. So this gameplay gif shows off Flipping. It also shows off two other things: 1. My hover text. It'll mostly be used for story purposes and during tutorials, but you can see it fading in and out under the platform in the demo. 2. The smooth camera. The camera follows behind the player slower than the player actually falls. I did this on purpose to give the feeling of weight to the character. Not real weight obviously since he's a ghost, but it gives the player a better feeling of falling than if the camera followed him perfectly.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »

We're trying to decide which of these we want to use:

NORMAL TITLE ART

PIXEL TILE ART

Which do you guys like better? The pixel art one might look better when animated.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2014, 03:34:54 AM »

I like the normal one better a lot more. Can't you animate that one?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2014, 11:54:01 AM »

I like the normal one better a lot more. Can't you animate that one?

So far about 15 people have responded and 14 of them have said they like the Normal Art version better. I asked the artist if he could animate that one and he said yes! So we're going with that one.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2014, 01:34:15 AM »

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm hoping once we secure funding I'll have a lot more to show you guys. Tomorrow I'll make an update with some creepy/cool art. I'll have a lot more on Saturday though.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »

Devlog Update #43 - 03/28/14

Hey, a little late, but here's the creepy/cool art I was talking about!

His normal animation has no eye on it, but once he can see the player his eye opens and darts to look in that direction. If you can't tell, this is Pain, the hellhound I showed off in Gameplay GIF #1.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:50:12 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »

Really nice! love the pulsating feel.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »

Really nice! love the pulsating feel.

Thank you!

Devlog Update #44 - 03/29/14

I have something insanely exciting happening right now for Ethereal but I'd rather not talk about it before things are official. I'll make an announcement as soon as I can but keep your ears open! Meanwhile, here's a gif of the game's first area in movement! You can see the parallax background in action. The only thing missing is that the cabin needs to be on fire.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic