Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411807 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 29, 2024, 01:50:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnsi Kingdom
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ansi Kingdom  (Read 900 times)
JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »

Ansi Kingdom is a side project of mine that I started a few weeks ago because my main project is going to take much longer to complete than I originally anticipated. So I thought it would be nice to make something a little more minimalist.

The project is an experiment in making a game creation tool within a browser using Javascript/HTML canvas and emulating the old school ANSI style of graphics. I'm not a purist however so custom palette's are definably on the cards as the old EGA Palette is a little horrid.

I'll be creating a custom scripting language for the editor so that dialog and interaction options can be scripted.

I've been working on a scripting language for my main project and I'll be bringing over many of the ideas learnt from that - I'll probably do a technical blog post on this topic.

Anyhow the project is inspired by the old ANSI games such as ZZT and Castle Adventure, but also some of the old Sierra Adventure games Kings Quest, Space Quest etc...

Being browser based it would be cool to host it such that people can make and script their own adventures, again much in the spirit of ZZT.

As this is a side project, I can probably devote around 4-6 hours per week on it. I will try to write a devlog once per week.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:24:14 PM by JoshuaSmyth » Logged

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:23:22 AM »

Just drew another test background

I realised that drawing traditional objects would be difficult so I'm entertaining the idea of putting the red question marks on the screen which will act as story triggers.

Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:41:50 AM »

I could totally be playing this if u were using that black window for text and it kinda describes the area your in and if there's immenent danger around etc.

I'm guessing the ? is the player.

"A humongous spider web blocks the entrance to the cave. There's a beetle stuck in the centre of it. It's too dark inside to see what's behind the web. You've got a bad feeling and you'd rather stay clear of this area"

Or something like that :D
JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »

Thanks! Nice description. I forgot to add the player to the second image. The player is the smiley face.

When the player walks over the question mark some description text will display with some options on what to do next.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic