Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:36:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralEuropean History (Education and Culture Are Important!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: European History (Education and Culture Are Important!)  (Read 8155 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »

Well notice all those wars being fought had new legislation followed to prevent those things from happening. These were world changing events. The solution existed it's just the people were divided if they want this solution or not.
In the case of rape the solution exist as well, but do you really want it? Are you ready for change?
We have solutions to prevent slavery, but even then they don't always work.
What solution could we possibly have for random acts of violence that can happen at almost any place in the country?
One solution could be to arm all women with hand guns, but I am sure you won't like that solution as you are probably anti guns or something. That will also test your theory if females are really less violent.
Another solution is just let the government spy against everyone, but recent events show that the public does not like that as well.
So what solution do you suggest? Don't tell me education because that really won't work. Unless you somehow force neuron connections in chidlrens' minds to make them less violent with some kind of a drug.

Edit: Actually, Google Glass can play a part in preventation. If someone sees a woman with Google Glass that streams her video into a server it might prevent the rape.
So it's not the govrnment spying on everyone but citizens spying on each other.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:43:51 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged

Master of all trades.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »

Yeah that would work, you haven't read 1984 and don't know about the problem of peer pressure ...

However who said women are less violent? if they are equal they are equally violent.

BTW solving sexism might not be possible but keeping it in check as low as possible is totally in the realm of possibility ... it's call education and culture building ... which has demonstrate success when we got from mostly illiterate to 90% + of the population able to read and do basic math opération.

@allen
Learn2read&2click (hint: there is a louis CK (male commedian) video hidden in this thread + a link with other male which are able to make both gender laugh with rape jokes)

@sacred cow
Like it's totally comparable... NOT, in movie rape is shown as a disposable quick plot device to caracterise the villain agency with throw away (quasi always) female bystander (generally collectible of the bad guys). It's also use to caracterize a whole subgroup.

Car accident is actually treat with much more respect, with showing the aftermatch, the reeducation and is a plot device mostly use to show overcoming obstacle and characterize the strength of some character (whether by surmounting grief or handicap or plain motivation). It also does not characterize a whole subgroup.

We can have this discussion about minorities too The sacred cow is mostly likely fairness

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

Education? Culture building? Again, for some people that seems like the magic medicine for everything.
Why not just give special drugs to kids to make them less violent? Or use genetic engineering?
Somehow making people think and believe something with the very non effective and resource consuming education is better than just give them drugs?
Education can only give people options, it can't make them "choose the right option".
You are against peer pressure but what is culture building if not peer pressure?

I believe in more practical solution. Some people are genuinely nice but some people don't kill you just because they will be thrown to jail if they would.

Practical solutions are better than magical one medicine that cures everything called culture and education.

Master of all trades.
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »

Education? Culture building? Again, for some people that seems like the magic medicine for everything.
Why not just give special drugs to kids to make them less violent? Or use genetic engineering?
Somehow making people think and believe something with the very non effective and resource consuming education is better than just give them drugs?
Education can only give people options, it can't make them "choose the right option".
You are against peer pressure but what is culture building if not peer pressure?

I believe in more practical solution. Some people are genuinely nice but some people don't kill you just because they will be thrown to jail if they would.

Practical solutions are better than magical one medicine that cures everything called culture and education.
be smart BAD. be cool and sick instead *kickflips out of thread*
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »

You completely miss the point.

Edit: Just as I thought, you don't really want to prevent rape. You want to give people the option to rape but you want them to choose not to.
Have freedom but make everyone so nice to each other to not make use of this freedom to do bad things.
I think discussion is over, preventing rape is not really important for you. Magically making everyone nice by assuming everyone will choose to be educated to become smart(if that's even possible) and assuming smart people don't rape.

You just want your impossible liberal eutopia.
You are so horrified by people taking videos of everyone on the street with Google glass that you are willing to ban it more than you are willing to make use of it to prevent rape and crime.

I think the discussion can be closed now.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:55:30 AM by PompiPompi » Logged

Master of all trades.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »

words can never be used for something other than their literal meaning
Of course not, but there is always a place and moment for that. Are they both here?
you might be a pissy pussy idiot bitch but i can joke anywhere, anytime, dirtbag. *peels off in my Marion Cobretti themed pedal go kart*
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »

words can never be used for something other than their literal meaning
Of course not, but there is always a place and moment for that. Are they both here?
you might be a pissy pussy idiot bitch but i can joke anywhere, anytime, dirtbag. *peels off in my Marion Cobretti themed pedal go kart*
Yeah but you are the exception tothe rule man.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 09:57:13 AM »

heres a new rule: WHEREAS it is recognised that FUck You
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »

You completely miss the point.

Edit: Just as I thought, you don't really want to prevent rape. You want to give people the option to rape but you want them to choose not to.
Have freedom but make everyone so nice to each other to not make use of this freedom to do bad things.
I think discussion is over, preventing rape is not really important for you. Magically making everyone nice by assuming everyone will choose to be educated to become smart(if that's even possible) and assuming smart people don't rape.

You just want your impossible liberal eutopia.
You are so horrified by people taking videos of everyone on the street with Google glass that you are willing to ban it more than you are willing to make use of it to prevent rape and crime.

I think the discussion can be closed now.

wowowowowowowowowow, whoah shit man, you are so full into your imposition shit you cant see the bigger picture.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »

Man, Pompi, stop projecting onto people. It's douchey.

@allen
Learn2read&2click (hint: there is a louis CK (male commedian) video hidden in this thread + a link with other male which are able to make both gender laugh with rape jokes)

I'm not sure if this was actually meant for me, but if so, it should be clear that feminists don't seem to condone Louis C.K. rape jokes nor find them funny (google an article some time). Not all women are active feminists, and managing to make women in the audience laugh isn't necessarily a green-light for a rape joke.

Car accident is actually treat with much more respect, with showing the aftermatch, the reeducation and is a plot device mostly use to show overcoming obstacle and characterize the strength of some character (whether by surmounting grief or handicap or plain motivation). It also does not characterize a whole subgroup.

No, not always. Sometimes it's just there, and you don't necessarily know the director's intention. You underestimate the number of car accidents shown in movies.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »

Alevice, what is the bigger picture? Enlighten me...

If your solution is education and culture then I am afraid it's not a practical solution.
The solutions I suggested are way more practical and effective. One solution is also going to come very soon (aka Google Glass).
Also I don't see the problem of citizens wearing glasses and reporting of crimes of other citizens to the law enforcement. I actually welcome it.

Master of all trades.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 10:11:38 AM »

Because culture & education have never influenced anyone anywhere ever  Roll Eyes
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »

They are very chaotic forces, you can't really force the entire world to believe in just one thing and one way. It's not effective.
Making laws and making practical solution can actually prevent rape, not relying on something that even if there were remotely enough resources to pull off would still not be effective at preventing rape.

Edit: Are you saying all we need is education and law enforcement is pointless?

Master of all trades.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »

no i didnt say that and tbh i cant tell if you seriously think these are good ideas or if youre being sarcastic & trying to build some ridiculous feminist strawman to argue against.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »

Well what I think is a good idea is Citizens using Google Glasses to take videos of each other on the street and report crimes, even "small ones"(There should be a report crime app).
the others are probably not, maybe the Government Spying on everyone is a good solution as a last resort.
Edit: Solving the world problems with education and culture is laughable. Technology and laws can solve problems.

Master of all trades.
MrBones
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »

Well what I think is a good idea is Citizens using Google Glasses to take videos of each other on the street and report crimes, even "small ones"(There should be a report crime app).
the others are probably not, maybe the Government Spying on everyone is a good solution as a last resort.
Edit: Solving the world problems with education and culture is laughable. Technology and laws can solve problems.

This is by far the most nonsensical post in the whole thread.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »

The civilized world could not exist as it is today without guns and cars, but education(for the masses) wasn't really a big part of what the world is today.
(And high school and university is not education in this context, this kind of education only provide you a profession).

Master of all trades.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »

They are very chaotic forces, you can't really force the entire world to believe in just one thing and one way. It's not effective.

Without addressing your other points, these two seem to be in conflict. Educating people effectively is impossible, but everyone having and using Google Glass is perfectly reasonable? It's an interesting thought experiment, but at the very least it creates a gap between those affluent enough to afford it and those who aren't. Or maybe you're proposing that the government (all governments) front the bill and hand out Glass to every citizen?

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »

Well it will become cheaper eventually, how many people you know who don't have any kind of smart phone?

Master of all trades.
Conker534
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »

I don't have a smart phone
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic