Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:02:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingBrainstorming thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Brainstorming thread  (Read 1885 times)
[Friends] Ro$$
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »

I have seen a lot of threads about the technical side of writing, but very few concerning people's actual work. This thread is intended to be a place where users can dump their ideas, along with what they are aiming for and be given critique, help and ideas with where to go next.
For example: I have X idea, where do I go from here
Get writing boys.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »

what about the girls

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
[Friends] Ro$$
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »

They're honorary in this thread;)

Okay I guess I'll start it off. This is what I have been working on

A young boy lives in a house with his mother.
The boy wakes up one night to a loud thump and bright lights outside his room (think alien abduction). He looks outside his window but he can't distinguish anything, except for a lot of banding, so he returns to bed.
Waking up the next morning, the boy looks out of his window to see a bunch of really buff men, glistening shirtless or in overalls, digging a big hole in the backyard. This may go on for a few days or may not, not sure) He eventually goes out to confront them, and catches the tail end of them all jumping down the hole they have dug. The boy goes over to look into the hole, but trip and fall in, landing at the bottom of a really deep pit unconscious.(maybe some other/better reason you are in the hole?)

During your journey through this underground world, you run into an old man, digging to China. This man scribbles down a picture of you in his notebook, thinking you are some sort of cave creature. (Save point) The boy meets a band as well, who had fallen down a similar hole and seem confused. Throughout the game you will get cutscenes of the band making their way through the caves, occasionally jamming out a tune or two, becoming boss music!

IDEAS:
Villains must be able to dance
Villain could be rich money dude (has a limo) (is a real pain in the assets)
have a non selfish reason for what the character is trying to accomplish (endearing). Should be able to identify, and be sympathetic towards the character.
doggy jumps down hole, you jump after him, doggy meets up with band at some point?
Want to gradually make it a lot darker in contrast
You start out with a couple little fetch quests around the town by your mother, which introduce you to characters you will see later, including posters for the band.

And what I am trying to think of:
I would like to have the story gradually becomes very dark. (think most movies by miyazaki, or the mother series) How can I progress this story towards that.
The buffmen work for some villain or something?
Cannot think of a bigger conflict, and ending.
mihai
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »

I've subscribed to a storytelling free internet course (already ongoing here https://iversity.org/courses/the-future-of-storytelling) and one of the homeworks was to create a fictional character presence online. Although I never written anything before I'm trying my best here :

https://www.facebook.com/TimeDrifterBernard

Embarrassed

Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »

Hey, this is a great idea. I'm surprised it hasn't got more attention. I guess writers are insecure and don't want to risk having their ideas stolen.

I guess for games a good place to start is genre: What genre is your game? That way you can tailor what happens towards the gameplay. For example, you mentioned the mother giving you chores to do. Would they be presented to the player as quests?

The way to make conflict is to make the stakes really high, but the easiest trap with this is to create a boring villain who is evil for no reason. Games can kind of get away with it because the majority of gameplay is slaying cannon-fodder, but it still needs to feel like it has a purpose.

For example: Legend of Zelda. The monsters aren't necessarily evil and aren't terrorising Link personally (until he gets too close) but he feels compelled to protect his home from the monsters that shouldn't be there. On his quest he defeats the bigger, more powerful bosses who are working for Ganon. Ganon will do anything to get what HE wants. ULTIMATE POWER. Link could do the same, but he puts others above himself and chooses not to do. Hence, he's a good guy.

A great way to create a decent villain is to make them selfish, greedy and capable of doing things that regular people wouldn't be capable of doing. Maybe in your story the main character was using the land to share home-made lemonade with the neighbours, but now the villain is using the land to find alien technology that will make him rich and famous.

I don't know, I'm just spitballing here.
some.one
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:37:54 AM »

How about the pointless game?
People should today be surprised by the game idea. And it's hard to find a new concept never done before.
People must enjoy the game.
The writer has to understand people, to write a good concept people will love.
I'm not a professional, but if somebody has absolutely no idea, i can help/give.

We should all make games together.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic