Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:41:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWill Wright at TED: Spore Talk
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Will Wright at TED: Spore Talk  (Read 3198 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2007, 04:39:45 AM »

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/146

Spore keeps looking better and better.  Really, watching the videos I feel like a kid at the science museum!  It's almost overwhelming, because you could have so much fun playing around with every aspect of this game (although by far the creature designer is the most interesting to me).  Kiss

His use of the word "toy" instead of "game" is interesting.  It's just semantics, but I wonder if the terminology he chose to use has anything to do with the crowd he's addressing.  Or maybe he's trying to separate himself from CliffyB?  Or maybe he and CliffyB are best friends.  What do I know? Huh?
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:26:26 AM »

Maxis used to call all the old spinoff Sim titles "toys", didn't they? It could simply be tradition now, or a long-standing marketing or philosophical thing.
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:39:29 AM »

I'd assume it's the old "systems with winstates are games, systems without winstates are toys," but that'd be putting words in Wright's mouth.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:40:18 AM »

I think there's a fundamental difference between a toy and a game. A game is a set of rules that you have to beat, or a system that you have to master. A toy is much more abstract, it's an interesting thing that allows you to enjoy yourself the way you like. Many of the games we play are like that - if you look at the freeform worlds of GTA or Super Mario 64 (Or even Super Mario 3 for that matter), you have these worlds that allow the player to do a variety of different things within the system. Most of these have goals, which make them games of course, and that's what we're all about, but there's a significant aspect of the toy about many of the games we play, many of what I consider to be the better games. (edit: or yeah, more concisely what Chris Franklin just said)

As for Spore, It's looking as interesting and fun as ever, and just as toy-like as before. I am struggling to see the actual goals in there that define the game, aside from those which the player sets to himself or herself. That's fine, of course, and we can all see that even without any goals whatsoever, the potential for having fun in the Spore universe is very great indeed.

Personally I'm up for the building designer more than the creature designer, although hopefully the creature designer will have more limits placed on it with respect to the creature you are editing. Seems like you can totally redesign a creature at every stage of evolution at the moment which doesn't seem right to me.

I hope it goes well and I'm looking forward to it, not really so much as a game but as WR describes it - a toy.

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:55:49 AM »

That's incredible!

I like how they use generated content for a lot of stuff :-)

~bs~
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »

Awesome stuff!

Make sure you check out some of the other speeches on that site.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 08:46:17 AM »

So what is the deal with his arm?  Is he slowly becoming a robot?

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:09:35 AM »

He probably wishes he was a robot.

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:14:13 AM »

I will be buying this.

About the toys vs. game thing... I didn't read really much into it. He's at TED, and called it a toy, I'm assuming, because he was explaining how playing with toys in his past helped him learn better and is now creating a new toy for a new generation of children. If he was doing a presentation at some game conference or whatever he'd probably call it a game. In this video, he even said once "the gameplay", so yeah. I wouldn't read too much into it.

It's also a shame that he had such a short presentation time, he had to talk pretty fast- almost as fast as the ArseCast host  :D.

At any rate, it looks amazing and really in-depth. The wait is going to be sooo worth it.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 09:32:40 AM »

that game is going to have such a huge impact on everything.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 03:54:03 PM »

Personally I'm up for the building designer more than the creature designer, although hopefully the creature designer will have more limits placed on it with respect to the creature you are editing. Seems like you can totally redesign a creature at every stage of evolution at the moment which doesn't seem right to me.
WHY DO YOU SPEAK MY THOUGHTS WITH SUCH PRECISION!?!?

As for the other discussion at hand:
Quote from: I Have No Words & I Must Design
According to Will Wright, his Sim City is not a game at all, but a toy. Wright offers a ball as an illuminating comparison: It offers many interesting behaviors, which you may explore. You can bounce it, twirl it, throw it, dribble it. And, if you wish, you may use it in a game: soccer, or basketball, or whatever. But the game is not intrinsic in the toy; it is a set of player-defined objectives overlaid on the toy.

Just so Sim City. Like many computer games, it creates a world which the player may manipulate, but unlike a real game, it provides no objective. Oh, you may choose one: to see if you can build a city without slums, perhaps. But Sim City itself has no victory conditions, no goals; it is a software toy.

A toy is interactive. But a game has goals.
From this thing.

Fish: Yes, yes it is.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 08:55:30 PM »

There are lots of limitations at various stages of the character designer, but they disable them during the demos to display the full range of editing options without having to spend an hour actually evolving the creature each time Wink

cup full of magic charisma
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 08:52:01 PM »

It seems as though they've pretty much scrapped the whole "water-based-creatures" concept at this point.

Though they've still got a fair amount of time left.
And if The Sims is any indication, there might be expansion packs for this.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic