Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:52:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGo! Go! Meatball - 2D Runner/Platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Go! Go! Meatball - 2D Runner/Platformer  (Read 7301 times)
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 02:40:34 AM »

Looks cute but I think your main character is just a little too derivative of Kirby from canvas curse.  He's basically an exact copy with a tan.
Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 02:41:11 AM »

Very happy graphics. I'll be interested to see how an endless runner /puzzle combo works.
antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:34 AM »

Log Entry 8

After a really productive November we had a less productive December, which was not that surprising because of the holiday season. January has been mostly polishing and making promotion stuff ready for launch. That includes App Store metadata, trailer videos and such. It has been a bit demotivating because doing this kind of stuff actually takes lots of time, there's tons of stuff to be done and our actual skills lie elsewhere. One day a week seems so little. Nevertheless there's progress. Hmm.. we also changed our version control from Mercurial to Git - it was a welcome change.

Because of work and personal stuff we can't launch in a few months so we've decided to make sure other platforms can be as ready as possible after iOS launch. Also we're undecided if we should try to push our initial target of 20 levels at launch to 30 levels. Updates with extra levels will be free anyway so basically it depends only on our available resources.

PS. Thanks for the all comments, it really means a lot!

aro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »

What was wrong with Mercurial that Git solved? Just curious since I have experience with both and they seem very similar.

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »

What was wrong with Mercurial that Git solved? Just curious since I have experience with both and they seem very similar.

They are very similar. I had a big crush on Mercurial for the longest time and resisted using Git. I took the leap and there are a few key reasons Git is better.

- Git seems to actually operate faster. There's seems to be lots of overhead with Mercurial and it's especially apparent when working on a large repository with relatively big commits and files. This applies to both the command line and third party tools (SourceTree, IDE plugins etc.) I'll blame Mercurial's python base for now. The real reasons are unknown to me.
- Third party Git tools and plugins just seem to work better than Mercurial counterparts. That's my gut feeling after working with both. This can always be corrected but it's a really important issue.
- Git hides some of the merging pain from the developer by doing things automatically. Mercurial makes you commit more often. I used to like that aspect of Mercurial, I've changed my mind after using Git.
- Both members of Team Go! Go! Meatball use Git daily at work so it's just less pain to use multiple source control tools.

Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »

Looks like a fun game. Not sure how I feel about those particle effects when landing and finishing a level. Seems too artificial, cheesy and a bit out of place.

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 11:28:42 PM »

I guess a small apologetic update is appropriate now since progress has been really slow during the first months of 2015. We're not happy not being able to launch in 2014 but life doesn't always go the way it's planned.

No single thing can explain things but I'll mention a couple: We've been planning business stuff, having compilcated work stuff, selling houses, building cottages, falling from heights, getting sick multiple times and stuff like that. Since we do this thing only one day a week these kinds of things always have a gigantic impact on our productivity and now there's been many things. But...

Things are looking better now and I can announce a cool thing in the near future. Stay tuned!

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 04:12:01 AM »

Hello again!

We are pleased to announce that we’re now officially developing the game full-time! Meet Parta Games, an independent game company with a passion for handcrafted games.

We are also excited to announce that Go! Go! Meatball will be released on 10th of August on iOS devices. So get your iPads and iPhones ready for some platformer running action!

Check out our homepage, Twitter and Facebook pages for more granular info and updates. We’ll also keep you posted here.

http://www.partagames.com
http://www.twitter.com/PartaGames
http://www.facebook.com/PartaGames

As a last treat here’s a teaser trailer for the game:

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 04:20:54 AM »

Birdie carries a fork believing it makes eating meatballs easier...

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 01:16:33 AM »

Hedgie stays still but won't hesitate to take a bite if you don't jump over!

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 01:55:56 AM »

Ok guys and gals, no official update this time, just wanted to announce that we uploaded the game to App Store review! The waiting game begins... We'll keep on polishing the game before official launch!

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 04:51:38 AM »

Log Entry 9

Hi meat-lovers!

We are now very close to launch. The game is waiting for App Store review, our internal test group is combing through the game and we're on full PR and polishing mode. We hope to get the game in your hands during August!

The last big thing we did was add World 3 and its 10 levels to the game at launch. We initially stripped it out but after careful consideration we decided the launch content simply wasn't enough to justify the launch price. The more the merrier!

The last couple of weeks we've mainly polished the game. Tons of bugs, weird sharp corners and performance issues have been weeded out for the most polished game we've probably ever done. The game is running a constant 60 FPS on iPad2 generation devices and that's important to us because it directly affects the gameplay feel in Go! Go! Meatball. We've also meticulously tested the gameplay to feel as good as it can be. I'm not saying it's perfect... but it's perfect. All joking aside, the gameplay of Go! Go! Meatballs has reached 100% perfection.

Thanks for following our progress through the last year of the game's development, we'll keep you posted about future stuff as well!

The game's official site is also now open. http://www.gogomeatball.com

Here's a bonus seagull.

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »

IT'S DONE!

I'm glad to announce that the game is now finished and will be launched tomorrow Friday 14th August 2015 on the App Store! We wish all of you will enjoy our debut game! Until the next update....

Launch trailer:

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »

Throw away your shaving equipment, prepare your frying pans and iOS devices, it's here! Go! Go! Meatball, Parta Games' debut game has launched on the App Store!

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/go!-go!-meatball/id999733752?ls=1&mt=8

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 10:32:26 PM »

Short and sweet: The Android launch date is 25th September. Carry on.

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 11:59:15 PM »

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, but that face on the first picture looks so very, very ripped straight from a picture of Kirby. I assume you're using it as an influnece? Smiley
antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2015, 12:09:41 AM »

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, but that face on the first picture looks so very, very ripped straight from a picture of Kirby. I assume you're using it as an influnece? Smiley

We keep hearing this a lot so I might as well address this here and now. Sorry if this sounds a bit defensive, we've learned an important lesson about inspiration in the past month after iOS release. Smiley

Yes, we were heavily inspired by Kirby, this thread has stated that fact many times but nothing has been ripped off. Every piece of art we have in the game is an original drawing. The game itself has also been influenced by various other games but is not a clone of anything as far as I know.

To be perfectly honest it was never our intention to make the character look too much like Kirby. If anything we didn't want the main character to be in a very big role at all since it's supposed to be a simple game. Meatball has no legs and hands, is a different color and in the game and other material looks different. I guess it's the eyes.

Currently it seems we've made an error of judgement in that it looks too much like Kirby in the main promotion image since everyone keeps reminding us of that. Don't worry, we're coming up with new promotion material to counter this.

EDIT: We've already rolled out some updated imagery as we speak.

TLRD: I'm sorry if anyone is offended by our use of the original promo image, it was never our intention to make the character look like Kirby.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:55:10 AM by antionio » Logged

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »

Why? Sad You guys don't need this crutch. All it does is undermine your actual skills. You guys have a really cute pixel art style going on, but I think you drawing so much "inspiration" from other franchises (not just Kirby apparently) is holding you back.

EDIT: We've already rolled out some updated imagery as we speak.

That's good! I hope you guys can keep this up so this game becomes your own game, rather than "that game that borrows a bit too much from Kirby and maybe traced some other stuff as well". I never commented here before because that's what held me back, but if that part is getting an overhaul, then this game becomes much more interesting to me.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »

Looks cute but I think your main character is just a little too derivative of Kirby from canvas curse.  He's basically an exact copy with a tan.
Yeah, I was thinking of Kirby's Ball/Burning form the whole time I was watching the GIFs for this
antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 02:21:43 AM »

The free edition now available on Google Play! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.partagames.meatball

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic