Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411473 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:23:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel Art How Does It Work
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Art How Does It Work  (Read 9641 times)
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »

I'm not quite sure what hue shifting is? I googled and it seems to be changing your color as well as white value? I made the lighter colors yellower and the darker ones blue/purpler, resulting in this (new on the right, old on the left)

I also recolored it for seasons trees turn fuchsia in the spring right

I'll have to check out Pyxel, it looks great.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »

I think the tree looks much better now, good work.

Yes, that is pretty much correct about hue shifting. Basically when you change the value, you also change the hue of the color. When you have time, read Cure's Pixel Art Tutorial.

The rocks could use some love, right now they look like noise. If you look at image of cliff faces on the internet, you see that(for the most part) they have very well defined planes and crevices. Maybe add an extra color or two while you're at it... Wink

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »

Loved the TF2 stuff, especially the GUI.
Personally not as keen on the floating islands. The long narrow sections of terrain are a bit overused, methinks. They're even in the water. It's obvious you went for them, and they worked well in themselves - but not my thing.
Look forward to more though!
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »

@Joshua - that tutorial was actually one of the things I ran across when I looked hue shifting up, I just wasn't quite sure if I had understood/implemented it properly, but I'll definitely have to give it a more thorough reading soon.

The rocks/dirt looked like noise because, well, they kind of were - this whole tileset was kinda thrown together because I wanted to play with Tiled and i was unjustifiably proud of that tree. You're definitely right though, and I did a pretty quick edit last night (about thirty seconds before I passed out, which is why I didn't post it then). It could probably use at least one more very dark shade. I've been trying to keep the color count at 8, but I could probably take one out of the water or since it's not really a hard limit, push it to 9 or 10.

EDIT: Noticed that that used the old palette. Update

@Louisdeb - Thank you! It was really fun to look at what TF2 did and try to figure out how it would translate to pixels. I still like the floating island aesthetic(? mechanic?), but it's definitely become something of a cliche at this point.

Speaking of TF2, I made these a little while ago but don't think I posted them:

Tiny things:

Idles

Runs

Mockup

EDIT: That saved weird. Kinda like it with the static though. Might make one with scanlines or something. New:

You can't just kill people man. What a jerk.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:01:22 PM by sakuyo » Logged
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »

Idles

Runs

Laughed when I saw the run for that fez type head.  Cheesy
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 03:59:41 AM »

Love those b&w little sprites! How about making gameboy-styled game?

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »

The little tiny animations are stupidly fun to do and they're really fast, I definitely see more of them in my future. I've actually been planning on making this/something like this that's small in scope (and maybe small in pixels) to actually y'know finish a game.

Jumps

More mockups

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 03:27:07 AM »

Sacrificing the spelling for size  Coffee
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »

The spelling's been bugging me actually, but I can't really figure out how to fix it.

Are either of these better?

EDIT: I forgot this

Stab, stab, stab

*Very* rough walk animation.

Tiny book that I forgot to post last week.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:26:53 PM by sakuyo » Logged
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

The book has a Brazil's flag on it  Corny Laugh

I like the "cafe" version more than the others, if i can say.

If I may ask, what is the little "}" rotated in the b&w menus bottom?

wut
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 11:25:54 AM »

If I may ask, what is the little "}" rotated in the b&w menus bottom?

Think it's a scroll down signifier
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »

Yeah, it was supposed to be scroll down arrow but I'm not sure it's readable and/or necessary. It could just scroll when you go down to the next item and w/o makes the screen a lot less cluttered. I like the 'cafe' too, but then again the '...' would work for other long words as well, so I guess I'll see if I use anything else that would be cut off.

W/o the scroll arrows:

Tentative quest interface mockup:

Pyros:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:05:51 PM by sakuyo » Logged
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »

thatbennyguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »

I would totally play the shit out of that mini-gameboy BnW-styled game. Especially if it played like you're hinting it might, with quest-givers, buyable items, metroid-style mapping, and NPCs with attitude. I'd help program it if I knew what I was doing, but I guess I better finish my own game first. Really cool, though!
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »

Thanks! The plan is to make it w/ all the things in the mockups, but then again I've never made a whole game, so we'll see. I actually came to games as a coder first and decided to teach myself art so that my games wouldn't just be various colors of rectangles, so I'll probably be doing the programming.

Mini-game for the tiny game otherwise known as 'wait how does javascript work again?'

Leftmost is screencapped.

Which of the minimaps is most readable?

Recolor and touchup on the sentry:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:12:09 PM by sakuyo » Logged
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »

I think the right hand one is the most visible - though I find black and white maps tough (can't explain it myself, always have).

Nice work on the sentries
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 06:15:31 PM »

Maybe it's hard because there's no real hierarchy? Most maps show importance with color and line weight mostly, both things that I can't really do. Not sure how to fix it but I guess it would mostly be a helpful reminder more than a super-important game mechanic, so it might not matter so much. Thanks, they were really fun, although now that I look at them closer there's a bunch of things I need to go and fix.

Day 26 - Prioritized sleep over posting last night:

Day 27

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 12:46:32 AM »

To me having the black as where you're meant to walk is just non sensical because it appears filled in e.g. a wall.

Love the dagger and the font that goes with it. Think the bow might need some more texture? But it's so thin it might be tough. Not sure how it'd be done with the single black - maybe a grip where you hold it? Just something to make it less.. simple.
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »

Made it a bit thicker and added highlights/texture. Dunno if I like the texture on the grip specifically - the dithered texture doesn't quite match I think, but I think the highlights definitely make it match the dagger better, it was pretty plain before.

sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:41:13 PM by sakuyo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic