Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:20:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThe Duel
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Duel  (Read 4552 times)
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »

Here we go! An interactive fiction game in a Lovecraftian vein!

The Duel, v.01 - Z5 format (Most recent version!)
The Duel, v.00 - Z5 format (for historical purposes only)

Now, I used a Commonplace Book quote as the starting point, of course. However...if I reveal what it is, it'll spoil the surprise ending. Not that it's a really surprising surprise, I'm sure a lot of you will see it coming...and of course if you're going to offer comments and criticisms then you need to know...but still. The point is, I'm going to put the Commonplace Book quote here in a really tiny font so you can't see it unless you put in a little effort:

COMMONPLACE BOOK QUOTE HERE - 8 Hor. Sto.
Man makes appt. with old enemy. Dies—body keeps appt.

I'll leave it up to you to decide when to read that.

(Darnit, I know there's SOME way to do spoiler tags on this forum, but I can't figure out how. Can anyone tell me?)

Okay. So I have this little IF game. At the moment it's pretty short; I'm sure to be truly Lovecraftian it needs more detail...more puzzles would be good (one, arguably two locations are pointless). Still, it is playable and winnable! So I'd appreciate any further ideas or criticisms. Smiley

EDIT NOVEMBER 28th: Added v.01, the second version of the game. It takes into account some of the comments from the thread and just basically plays more smoothly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:16:34 PM by Chaoseed » Logged

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »

Just to let you know, I wanted to get the first version out here as soon as I can (actually I wanted to get it out a week ago, but, y'know...). So, some of the finishing details are not exactly implemented. Stuff like, there are shutters mentioned in a description, but you can't look at them. I just hadn't gone through and put in every little detail like that.

I'm not saying you shouldn't talk about those details--definitely point them out. I'm just saying, don't be too surprised that they're not there. Wink And yeah, the release is in debug mode, too. The final one won't be. Wink

Thanks for your comments!

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »

Haha, it's fine, criticism is welcome. Wink

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:57 PM »

Looks like it's off to a good start. I don't have much feedback to add to Atuun's, except that you might want to somehow convey even more urgency. Sitting back and trying to look and toy with things while the game alternates its two urging prompts makes the urgency lose some of its impact. Perhaps you can experiment with some negative feedback for waiting too long in a location. Maybe the protagonist could start act on his urges autonomously in ways the player doesn't want or expect, or else get increasingly more tense and angry if all the player does is sit and look at things.

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »

Check it out! The Duel v.01, new and improved! (Well, not much has changed, but I took the comments in this thread into account to make sure it ran more smoothly.)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic