Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 04:56:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMain Site Problems
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Main Site Problems  (Read 9285 times)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »

Over the past, say, two or three weeks, I've been noticing that the main site is down a hell of a lot. Especially during my daytime (it's 4:40 PM Nov 5th here, which seems to mean 8:40 PM Nov 4th there). It just refuses to load.

Now I'm sitting here, and I'm wondering, is this just a problem for me, or have others noticed it too? Is there a reason for it - maintanance or somesuch? And why is it happening now, and never previously?
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »

Nope, I've noticed it too.

tweet tweet @j_younger
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »

I've noticed it as well, but I don't really check the main site, but once a day.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »

Can't even access it most of the time.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »

Same here; worried am I.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »

Yes, the site doesn't work more often than it does work.

It's a little scary.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:32:30 PM »

Yeah, I've had it happen too.  I hope it's not pretentious indie hackers from PIGScene...
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 10:36:35 PM »

What them other folk said.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »

Guess it's obvious now, but so have I.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:56:44 PM »

Yeah, me too.  I'm going to ask Jeff about it.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »

Wait, this was happening to everybody? Wow. Well, there ya go. I'm really fond of the front page, so I always like to give it a look. I assume this is happening for non-forum members as well, which is terrible for us in the long run.

WELL WELL: Looks like the main site's working now. There haven't been ANY comments for a good 12 hours. You know, I'm wondering, as I do, how many unique visitors show up on the TIGS front page who don't view/lurk/post on the Forums? I mean, I used to (rather avidly in fact) about a year and a half ago. Out of interest, I suppose. I really like these statisticsy things.

Hmm, that's another suggestion right there! More incedental statistics in our "forum statistics" page!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:29:56 PM by Gainsworthy » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »

Yeah, me too.  I'm going to ask Jeff about it.
I love that you're just as semi-apathetic as the rest of us (it has been two weeks after all).  Grin

I assume this is happening for non-forum members as well, which is terrible for us in the long run.
This nasty little aspect didn't even register until you mentioned it; shit.   Sad
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 01:04:17 AM »

Same here, I don't even care aout the main site anymore.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 02:30:39 AM »

I thought it was my browser. But the news became less and less interesting (to me at least) so I didn't check it out as regularly anyway :T
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 02:36:21 AM »

It seems to depend much on the daytime. I also had the case that the main page was down, while the forums worked fine the same time. To me, the main page appears to work better during US nighttime and early morning.

Per aspera ad astra
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 02:38:18 AM »

Hrmm, you know, this lack of interest in the Front Page is kind of an issue, isn't it? I mean, the stuff there is a little different to the forum content, and it's nicely presented, AND if we don't care, what does everyone else think?

I think we're all kind of close to this place, but has the Front slipped into a regular indie gameblog without us noticing, rather than the informative and somewhat charming one which got us to stay here in the first place?

There is that TIGProvement thread, but most of the discussion focussed on the forums. But, if the above is the case, maybe we should all take a good look at what to do with the Front.
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 02:49:28 AM »

I'm more interested in the "making of" than playing games. So the forums are way more interesting to me. If there are more of this sort of people it will explain why here among the forum people we don't see so much interest in the main page. But I assume that a different group of people will be much more interested in the main page, they just don't voice themselves on this forum.

Per aspera ad astra
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 02:56:48 AM »

EXACTLY! I mean, I agree, the making process and design and such is fascinating, it's why I'm here. But, I like the frontpage too - gaming's great too.

Perhaps there should be the weekll/biweekly/whatever "art/design/music/etc" special written by like, ANYONE from the extended community. I think that's been suggested, though. And just meatier content, I suppose.

This could do with a thread! If people give a damn. This thread! Shall I recomission it once Frontpage Dramas are good and done with?
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »

I think we're all kind of close to this place, but has the Front slipped into a regular indie gameblog without us noticing, rather than the informative and somewhat charming one which got us to stay here in the first place?

Personally, I think it's still informative and somewhat charming. It's not the way the news got presented but much rather the news itself that got more and more boring. The articles that peaked my interest in so far that I actually CLICKED the link in the RSS feed instead of just going "meh" where the two articles about recommended ZZT Games and Ohrrpgce games. I can't exactly put my finger down on why these two interested me more than the rest of the blog entries.

Then again, I'm not really the group the blog aims at either, am I? I see the blog as some sort of filter of the indie scene/community, in particular this forum. Guys like me hang out in this forum daily and just see the stuff happening first hand. Most of the times when stuff lands on the blog, it's already old news for me.
It's really more for the guys who aren't in the forums daily or simply don't wanna keep track of EVERYTHING that happens here.

The hard part about improving the blog would be that we could only ask the guys for improvements that sit BEHIND the blog and make the news (speak us), not the ones that sit in front of it and read them.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »

EXACTLY! I mean, I agree, the making process and design and such is fascinating, it's why I'm here. But, I like the frontpage too - gaming's great too.

I always read the front page.  My bookmark goes to the front page and I hit the forums link from there.  Only recently have I had to make a second bookmark for the forum as a backup.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic