Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 06:16:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMain Site Problems
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Main Site Problems  (Read 9286 times)
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 12:44:39 PM »

Wow I just debating on whether to make this topic or not.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »

IMO frontpage and f0s have different audiences

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »

I love 'em both. After all the frontpage is what got me to look at the forums in the first place. I think that the frontpage is inexorably linked to the forums and should compliment the forums rather than be a separate entity. Sadly, as has been noted here, I have rarely been visiting the frontpage lately due to the downtime Sad

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »

I think to fix this divide that has occurred (and yeah, I'm a part of it too; I don't visit the front page nearly as much as I did before joining the forums) we need more developer oriented content on the front page.  We could even have a "hide developer content" button for those people that didn't want to be bothered by it.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »

Well, I'm more of a gamer than a designer, and I've still managed to eke out 1,500 posts in the forums. I've always thought of TIGS as more of a community effort, with elements for both gamers and creators. I think isolating or deleting either part would leave both groups worse off.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »

I personally think it needs more articles that are written from own accord, and not based on some news that were grabbed somewhere on the forums or the internet (not grabbed in the sense of copypasta, mind you). Like that two "The best whatever" articles. These kinda came out of the blue.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »

Well, I'm more of a gamer than a designer, and I've still managed to eke out 1,500 posts in the forums. I've always thought of TIGS as more of a community effort, with elements for both gamers and creators. I think isolating or deleting either part would leave both groups worse off.
I agree, and I think that's the current problem with the front page.  As can be seen in this thread, a lot of developers have started to become isolated in the forums.  A little dev content on the main page certainly wouldn't hurt.
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 07:23:55 PM »

Perhaps there should be the weekll/biweekly/whatever "art/design/music/etc" special written by like, ANYONE from the extended community. I think that's been suggested, though.
Can you give us links to discussions on this topic? (Community-contributed posts) I ask you, because I'm pretty clueless about what to enter into the search engine.

Just key words would even help Smiley
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »

I think that having a developer section would be a great addition to the main page and would also create a greater cohesion between the forums and the front page. I am all for it.  Beer!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »

IMO the frontpage needs nothing more than ...just being online once in a while.

godsavant
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 08:31:30 PM »

Oh. So it's site's fault, after all, not mine.  Embarrassed

A little dev content on the main page certainly wouldn't hurt.

Good point; the main page is slanted to a more mainstream perspective (fitting, considering that it is where most non-developers will get their indie news), which forum people might not care about as much as the actual development and community-produced projects.

Of course, if the front page is down all the time, some of us have no choice but to become isolated in the forums, I suppose. Angry Damn you, PIGScene!

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »

I actually started really posting in the forums because TIGSource has been down and I need my daily dose of TIG.  Roll Eyes

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »

Okay, Jeff tol' me he's looking into it!

Yeah, me too.  I'm going to ask Jeff about it.
I love that you're just as semi-apathetic as the rest of us (it has been two weeks after all).  Grin

Haha, well... since the site has been slow, it seems like there have been less trolls on the front page.  Also, Jeff and I have both been busy of late.

I'd love to get these problems sorted out once and for all, though.  Step by step...
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 02:52:41 PM »

Okay, Jeff tol' me he's looking into it!

Yeah, me too.  I'm going to ask Jeff about it.
I love that you're just as semi-apathetic as the rest of us (it has been two weeks after all).  Grin

Haha, well... since the site has been slow, it seems like there have been less trolls on the front page.  Also, Jeff and I have both been busy of late.

I'd love to get these problems sorted out once and for all, though.  Step by step...
Hm, looks to me like it's already been fixed.

Nice work, Jeff!

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »

Anonymous trolling on the front page is a gentleman's sport Gentleman

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »

Has the site been down like all day today for people?
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 04:22:30 PM »

That it has.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2008, 04:23:43 PM »

Yep.  Cry

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »

Works for me now.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

Ah, now it is working  Beer!

Still loads a bit slow though...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic