Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:29:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsApple and Worm: Patching Holes In Spacetime
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33
Print
Author Topic: Apple and Worm: Patching Holes In Spacetime  (Read 68617 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation! I really enjoyed the first video about link to the past so I'll sure gonna follow this. There are several game design series out there but I rarely like them. Usually they don't have much in the way of interesting insights but still manage to sound incredibly patronizing lol. So it's nice to see there's good content out there.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »

Took a little break from work. Obligatory, because simulation running etc. So I HAD to stop working and I HAD to do some pixel art. The universe does that sometimes.

I bet no one even remembers the whole hit-the-thinkers-in-the-head thing. Anyway, Albert Einstein also gets an apple to the head.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2017, 02:36:57 PM »

After being struck by an apple

Got a little lazy on the legs but it's... passable. Still got to do the flying away part.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 04, 2017, 02:59:05 AM »

Love it! But the legs seems to go from baggy to slim-fit?
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 04, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »

Yeah, the legs are really awful. I was super lazy there! The more I look at it the more I don't think is passable.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 04, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

It's not so much awful as it is a change of pants Cheesy
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: June 04, 2017, 07:00:08 PM »

Based on the pants' shape change and how his belly protrudes ... I'd say it looks he just got a "weggie" by an invisible alien! Grin  (Of course, the back of his pants was pulled and not his underwear)

Regarding the affine problem, both http://www.burningnorth.com/unity/flashback94/  and  https://github.com/dsoft20/psx_retroshader  recommend the same solution that was used "back in the days": subdivide the mesh as much as needed to retain the features that you want.  Seems like that is basically the approach here:

Also, if mesh subdivision seems is the approach in the asset that Prinsessa mentioned, then I wonder if it would make that much of a difference rather than creating one by yourself?

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »

That asset is no good; I tested. And I'm also fine with the affine problem (pun intended and stupid). I mean, it's not a problem any more.

I  haven't made a proper update here in a while so I guess I'll make this my official update! Not much to say this time though.

I still haven't got around to smoothing out the player controller and collider. But it's functional enough to ignore for now.

My current goal is improving the level editor. Laying down individual quads was never the intended way of doing things. I made a quick system to lay down large grids of quads and that works fine, but the problem is curves; it's a lot harder to curve sections than I anticipated, because the interior part of the curve will want to connect. There are many possible solutions and I'm looking into them one by one.

This is my priority for now because it's the only thing keeping me from playing around with more interesting test levels and even working on a new demo.

I also made that little Einstein getting a wedgie from an invisible alien, as io3 put it lol. I'll get back to that animation eventually.

I also played Zelda: Link's awakening. Aaaand I really don't like it. The dungeons are fine but nothing special and the rest of the game is not that fun either. I think I'll try now those two coupled games for the game boy advance. Can't remember the names now.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »

FOLLOWERS OF THE GREAT APPLE AND ITS SINGLE WORM-LIKE APOSTLE. I have an important message. Something terrible has happened. But it's good too! What? No, of course I didn't give up on this project. I'm too stubborn for that. No, what happened is I changed the implementation once again.

OK, I know how that sounds like. But, guys! guys... guys. This reimplementation is a game changer, youguys. I swear it makes sense! And this will be the last time I change the whole thing too. You see, my previous iteration was extremely complex, it had many thousands of poorly written lines of code. It was a nightmare to fix the bugs and coming back to the project after a while away was not motivating. But now a light shone on me from the sky (an apple hitting me on the head might have been involved) and I had the best idea ever. I'll explain it in a second, first let me gloat on just how wonderful it is without giving any relevant information. It has all the features I want/need, it looks better than all previous iterations with smooth curves all over the place, real time updates of curves (the levels can totally move now!), it's infinitely easier to design levels with the new method, the algorithm is ridiculously simple with only dozens of lines of code per script.

OK, here's what it looks right now:

The grid may make it seem like it has a limited resolution but it doesn't, that's just the lazy grid I made.

To reach this state in my previous iteration it took several weeks and the code was already a jumbled mess. This was done in the past 3 days.

All right, so the heart of the new system is simply a Bezier surface. It's like a Bezier curve but 2D. A few control points define the surface and a simple function takes a pair of coordinates on the unit square (u,v) and gives you its world coordinates. That sprite has 9 vertices and they are all properly aligned with the local space.

Also in this gif is my own simple sprite solution, slightly modified from the previous incarnation of the game (just simpler and better like everything else!). It just scrolls the UVs. The parameter 'frame' can be animated like anything else in unity.

And as proud and excited as I am I can't help but feel a little dumb for not thinking this earlier. It really is the most obvious solution. Why break the entire game space into tiny quads instead of using a parametric surface?

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2017, 11:14:10 PM »

And this will be the last time I change the whole thing too.
For the record. Wink

This looks (and sounds) very good. Grin
Do loops pose any problem in your new implementation?

Edit: By the way, that bezier surface looks so smooth, it could be the surface of a 3D object.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:42:29 PM by Zorg » Logged
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2017, 07:43:47 AM »

Loops work fine! and scale matters too.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »

I had a full sunday off. The first in a looong time. Made some progress. I started the bridge system between patches of space.

On normal game mode these patches wouldn't be far from each other but glued together. This is just to show what is going on.

Each patch can have any number of control points but I still needed a way to stitch them together seamlessly. The system I'm trying to implement defines edges as the space  between control points and you can connect any edge, or more than one edge, to edge(s) of neighboring patch. All the transformation operations that need to be applied to points going from one patch to another (like rotation, scaling etc) are done on paper only, which means they are 100% likely wrong and I will find out in what ways they are wrong once I implement them. Things are looking good so far though! Hopefully next weekend I'll have time again.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »

> On normal game mode these patches wouldn't be far from each other but glued together.

It could actually be used to create a cool teleport effect though!
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »

It does have a nice effect. Wasn't planned but might be used :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »

Yass! Adventures in hyperspaaaaace!

(try this page to see it in wide-screen. Requires zooming out a bit if you have anything less than 2560 pixels wide screen)
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »

What the hell is that? It had me and 2 colleagues staring at this video for several minutes!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »

One of my "artworks" related to space-time I guess. I never shared it in this topic before?

I kind of expected you would get it though, given the game you're making Wink

Here's the basic idea:

- Take a video, preferably slow-motion
- load a number of frames equal to width into memory, creating an X,Y,T cube
- scan through the T,Y plane from one side to the other
- export frames to video
- now the horizontal width your video represents time from left right, and the passage of time represents a spatial dimension.

As a result of this, movement = compression. Just like relativity Wink. If the camera moves, the landscape gets compressed. If things move through the landscape, they get compressed.

This video was taken from a moving bus, which sometimes moves faster, and sometimes slower. And at one point it turns around a corner but the pivot of the turn is outside of the bus, leading to space-time folding in on itself Tongue
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »

Not only I didn't get it but we were three physics grad students staring at it lol. Really cool stuff! I don't know if you posted it before but if you did it went under my radar.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2017, 02:59:40 AM »

Thanks! Smiley

I've been playing with this stuff for years, for example here is a live-installation I built where more light = bigger delay, which I combined with a bright spotlight for a kind of "black hole"-style time dilation (except it's a bright white spot):

Can you spot the Schwarzschild radius? Tongue

I probably should get back to playing with these things... the code broke for a while (because piping to FFMPEG broke on my laptop, of all things), but it's working again (turns out I had to turn the audio capture off, which is weird because I was only exporting still frames anyway). In the meantime I got a few sweet hardware upgrades: a new camera with 1080p120 capture, a tool or two to do motion interpolation on top of that (which, despite introducing some artifacts, makes for much smoother images), and most importantly: a new laptop with 64GiB oF RAM. Which is important if your source file is a full HD video at 240+ FPS
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2017, 06:41:34 AM »

Awesome!

You know, there's a local dev group organizing an event in a few days and we were looking for some kind of art installation or interactive thing to put at the center. I don't supposed you're near Iowa City, Iowa?   Blink u Blink

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic