Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:12:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsApple and Worm: Patching Holes In Spacetime
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33
Print
Author Topic: Apple and Worm: Patching Holes In Spacetime  (Read 69212 times)
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: May 10, 2020, 12:26:58 AM »

I love it. Completely overboard without any purpose, than back to a sensible size, and suddenly it's useful.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 10, 2020, 01:39:37 AM »

A fruit version of slender man? Slender banana.

Day 4

A very exhausting day. Most of my day was taken by banalities of everyday life, like sweeping, doing the dishes, laundry, baby stuff. Then some time doing the more important work. Then what I had left I used it to make a level literally named "uninspiredlevel1". The number at the end is a good tell of how optimistic I am about these 2 months of level making.

sssSPPPLWWWRRKKK [pop]
Yeah, I can hear this gif and it sounds great!
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: May 10, 2020, 07:14:07 PM »

Day 5

SKIP DAY! SHAAAAAME SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAME  Tired

What a goddamn shitty day. I have been a dad for less than a month, but today was the worst day of my fatherhood by a mile. Just bad. Really, really bad. He yelled the entire day and we have no clue why. My head hurts. Nothing was done today. I'm going to watch a dumb movie and have some tea now that he's finally asleep. Let's hope he doesn't make this a habit.

Schrompf
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: May 10, 2020, 11:36:38 PM »

Day 5

SKIP DAY! SHAAAAAME SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAME  Tired

What a goddamn shitty day. I have been a dad for less than a month, but today was the worst day of my fatherhood by a mile. Just bad. Really, really bad. He yelled the entire day and we have no clue why. My head hurts. Nothing was done today. I'm going to watch a dumb movie and have some tea now that he's finally asleep. Let's hope he doesn't make this a habit.

Be nice to yourself. Your child won't, that's for sure. And will get worse before it gets better.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 11, 2020, 03:14:51 AM »

^^^
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: May 11, 2020, 07:07:03 PM »

Thanks for the support  Coffee

Day 6 was much better, but I am still working sleep deprived and only had 4 hours for myself. Half of that was used on my main work. I decided to use my time to clean up the code a little; there is a lot of debug code, like prints, test loops and test variables, just hanging around. Tweaked the previous level as well.

Oh well, not exactly a day to be proud of but an effort was made to do some work, and that is the main goal. Good code hygiene might not be the most prestigious of tasks but it's necessary. Now it compiles with zero warnings  Hand Joystick

To make sure the I won't lack interesting ideas to work on in the upcoming days, I will try to write down any level ideas I have, then I can just look it up whenever I have some time to work.

nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 11, 2020, 09:13:52 PM »

Okay... so... you'll probably hate me for this notion, but have you thought about maybe taking a while to take everything you've learned so far and basically rebuild a very basic prototype of the underlying game tech from scratch? And then perhaps if it goes well you could re-port it back into the game.

I haven't read the previous decade of posts, though - maybe you've already done that 14 times. I'm up to 3 so far, personally. Tired

Not to interrupt your progress on the levelthon, though. It just came to mind when you bring up the code being all spaghettily.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: May 11, 2020, 11:21:40 PM »

In my experience code will end up in spaghetti form anyway - building a perfect codebase would surely require a ton of extra work, careful planning and extensive testing along the way. I personally advocate plowing on and continuing to see great results - the engine already has so many possibilities for interesting levels, puzzles and mechanics! Coffee

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2020, 02:14:42 AM »

I'm with Ishi - fixing the existing code-base is probably a better course of action
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: May 12, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »

Okay... so... you'll probably hate me for this notion, but have you thought about maybe taking a while to take everything you've learned so far and basically rebuild a very basic prototype of the underlying game tech from scratch? And then perhaps if it goes well you could re-port it back into the game.

I haven't read the previous decade of posts, though - maybe you've already done that 14 times. I'm up to 3 so far, personally. Tired

Not to interrupt your progress on the levelthon, though. It just came to mind when you bring up the code being all spaghettily.

Nah I get what you're saying. But I already did that! The first iteration of the project was a much simpler implementation that made every one who played very confused. Then I tried restarting the project a couple more times with different approaches and finally settled on this one. It's wonky as hell but I really think this is the best I can do. I know what must be done to remove the wonkiness. Most of the wonkiness is due to order of update functions and I would have to replace every code running on Update or FixedUpdate with a set of my own functions and call them in order.

But I don't want to do those things because this project has other problems, design problems, that make it not worth that trouble. This has been a companion project while I was preoccupied studying; it's a neat idea but if this came out of a 2 day jam I would probably not work on it any further. Now I just want to push it out of my life!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: May 12, 2020, 09:52:07 PM »

Day 7

I call this level 'screwing with the player'. It shows how far you can jump, then pulls the rug from your under your feet because space is cuuuUuUUurved. With a bit of work this could be a nice early level. Like a nice little tutorial that goes "aha! Where is your God now?!"

For tomorrow I'm going to implement a new NPC which o thought of today and made me laugh out loud here. Brace yourselves. The butt portal is coming.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:00:12 PM by diegzumillo » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 13, 2020, 02:47:05 AM »

Streeeetchy boi
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: May 13, 2020, 05:12:36 AM »

I bet for a moment he thought "I'm skewed!"

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 13, 2020, 06:25:47 AM »

From his frame of reference, the rest of the universe is Who, Me?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 13, 2020, 11:21:10 AM »

What a nice bunch of updates to come back to after some time of reduced computer usage! Kiss Best of luck with these sixty days!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: May 13, 2020, 01:51:46 PM »

I bet for a moment he thought "I'm skewed!"

I wish I had thought of that! "I'm skewing the player" it was right there.

Day 8
THE BUTT PORTAL

It's a "wormhole", a 4-dimensional being, but we only see the two ends. Each part can be anywhere in the level, minding its own business, if the player gets swallowed by the mouth he comes out the butt. It chases you if you're smaller than it and runs away if you're larger. I thought that was a nice way to tie their funcionality to the game's main gimmick. (I seem to have a much easier time using the scale changing than orientation). This way you need to change your scale and you can also move both parts to where you want by pushing etc.

Obligatory "now you're thinking with BUTTS" joke.

I didn't just make this quick and dirty sprite though, I implemented a basic teleportation function too, but that's a boring gif to post. The next days I will play around with this thing, still following the rules of the level-thon. Try different behaviors and make quick levels to try it out.

Note for future self: as I was making this it occurred I could have the apple also eat things to absorb their powers, like Kirby. You eat a butt, you become the butt. Anything that goes in the mouth goes out the player. Something to think about. Maybe too complex to implement all possible effects though.

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: May 13, 2020, 01:58:09 PM »

OMG! That's hilarious. You know it's only complete with the munch sound for going in and the fart sound for coming out, right? :D

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: May 13, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »

OMG! That's hilarious. You know it's only complete with the munch sound for going in and the fart sound for coming out, right? :D

Obviously! It wouldn't be the highbrow humor we have come to expect from this without fart noises Gentleman

Schrompf
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: May 14, 2020, 12:52:42 AM »

This is hilarious. I just hope it plays out as well.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 14, 2020, 05:18:36 AM »

Marc ten Bosch: I got my paper on 4D toys accepted into Siggraph!

Diegzumilo: Oh yeah, well my game features the first 4D fart joke!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic