Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:19:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsApple and Worm: Patching Holes In Spacetime
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33
Print
Author Topic: Apple and Worm: Patching Holes In Spacetime  (Read 69269 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: May 14, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »

Day 9 sort of skipped.

I was hoping I could still squeeze a little something out of today but it's 3 AM and I'm just finishing working on other stuff.

I had the Editor opened with some unfinished level while running my analysis code on another screen but couldn't really do anything substantial. My analysis code eats up processing power AND requires constant... interventions? I know there is a word for it.

Anyway, tomorrow will be better!  Coffee

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: May 15, 2020, 08:11:25 PM »

Day 10

I made a level to play with the buttportal's rotation functionality. If the mouth and butt are rotated 90 degrees, the player also rotates when teleporting. This creates interesting puzzle possibilities. Before it was only a matter of finding the right path in a (really actually 3D) maze. Now the buttportal offers ways to traverse the level and to manipulate the interconnections of the level. I like it! I'll just list some ideas from the top of my head so I can try them later.

Mouth/butt wonders around a curved section, goes through a loop or something. Timing when to teleport would leave you with a different orientation.
Moving other objects into the teleport as a solution, instead of yourself.
More than one teleport at the same time to have a puzzle where you have to teleport the other teleport?

Bonus question: what would happen if the mouth ate its own butt?
  • It wouldn't. The boring but safest solution.
  • The butt would disappear into a singularity and break the level
  • Everything would be butt. Even apple becomes butt. John Malkovitch style.
  • It would collapse the universe into itself
  • Something random like everything gets an ascii image filter
  • Something else? accepting suggestions.

I love how simultaneously complex and stupid this sounds.

The implementation still needs movement to the parts (besides the cases mentioned above), still needs to account for scale, and animation. Not sprite animation; the teleportation is instantaneous right now, and I need it to be like "chomp", apple disappears, camera goes to butt, fart, apple reappears. Then the actual animations need to be done as well.

I will save bandwidth for more interesting gifs though. Cheers  Coffee

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: May 15, 2020, 09:24:24 PM »

Bonus question: what would happen if the mouth ate its own butt?

The mouth glitches out and turns into a butt then farts out another mouth?

nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 15, 2020, 09:59:19 PM »

Some sort of sixth-dimensional explosion that can teleport you to different areas of the level/clear paths by antiporting a section of the level into nullspace? Of course in such a case you'd need some way to make it restart in the event the player caused a butt-eating at the wrong location.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 16, 2020, 06:35:23 AM »

what the heck is going on here

nova++
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 16, 2020, 08:35:49 AM »

what the heck is going on here

art

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 16, 2020, 11:48:00 AM »

My analysis code eats up processing power AND requires constant... interventions? I know there is a word for it.
Are you talking about your game or your kid now?
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: May 16, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »

My analysis code eats up processing power AND requires constant... interventions? I know there is a word for it.
Are you talking about your game or your kid now?

Neither! The other thing. Work. I mean, I call it work but no one pays me to do it. It's leftover research from my thesis. I'm unemployed so any more papers I can push hopefully brings me closer to being less unemployed.

I managed to sneak "butt eating" legitimately in my devlog!

Also "art".

nova++
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 16, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »

Oh and, as for the transition, I think a classic cartoon "circle cutout" transition would be perfect. Chomp, circle to black, circle to butt, fart.

This thread is making me write strange sentences.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: May 16, 2020, 07:52:10 PM »

lol

Day 11

Made the walk animation. This is so little work it makes me kind of sad but I'm doing what I can. Honestly I'm stretching myself extremely thin these days. I started working on this at midnight and am already tired. But I like the result. Got rid of the feet and made it a bouncy ball.

Sure, let's add "balls" to the roster of words associated with this devlog too, why the hell not.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:18:59 PM by diegzumillo » Logged

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: May 17, 2020, 04:52:47 PM »

Day 12

Animated the butt now. It's still very early, so I might work some more before closing in for the day.

Is this butt too oily?

I think I'm overdoing the brown shade there.

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: May 17, 2020, 10:59:10 PM »

It definitely looks very glossy (contrary to the head). Curious to see how this self-eating plays out.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 18, 2020, 01:40:46 AM »

This thread is making me write strange sentences.
Is this butt too oily?

diegzumillo must have thought "challenge accepted"
nova++
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 18, 2020, 01:56:37 AM »

I have to imagine the butt having a brief delay before jettisoning the player. Like, kind of hovering in the air briefly, rumbling.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: May 19, 2020, 08:55:29 PM »

Day 13 was "cheat" day. Sleep deprived and with a million things to do, there was absolutely no way I could squeeze in some apple work.

Day 14

Finished the munching animation and started to bring it into unity. Also started coding the interaction. It's these simple things that Unity fails to keep it simple. I want an animation to stop and go back to the previous state. How to do that? set up an event animation, which calls a function that changes a parameter of animator to transition back to the previous one. It's not the first time I do this but it always baffles me.

Anyway, here's a quick preview of what it will look when it's done:

Here the log stands for the butt and it's rotated.

I still need to some quick way to make the apple disappear into the mouth. I will choose the cheapest and easiest way to do that, short of just making it disappear and reappear.

Another thought I had: If I ever go forth with the Kirby/wario idea of apple getting powers from eating enemies, I could also have some beans walking around. If apple has butt powers, whenever the mouth eats the beans you get a little propulsion system going on.

I like thinking about this but I am 99.9% certain I will not want to implement that at all. Maybe for apple and worm 2, if Valve decides to drop a truckload of money on my doorstep to make it happen.

nova++
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 19, 2020, 10:21:04 PM »

Oh noooo, he gets chewed up

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 19, 2020, 10:22:35 PM »

I can hear this gif
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 19, 2020, 11:16:09 PM »

Mock Anger  Angry

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2020, 11:45:25 PM »

Mock Anger  Angry
Uncanny!!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: May 20, 2020, 05:55:29 PM »

Day 15

Done some more animating, implemented it ingame, and the code progressed some more. Not bad.

Missing: adjusting the exit position, disabling the object being transported for a few seconds (apple already goes invisible in this gif as I was testing a strategy). The log and box appear at the butt before the farting animation even starts right now. The butt actually needs to stop completely too.

The farting animation is a little disappointing... I did my best but any suggestions are welcome. There's a little rumbling, followed by a little jump and... um... ejection.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic