Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:55:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsApple and Worm: Patching Holes In Spacetime
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33
Print
Author Topic: Apple and Worm: Patching Holes In Spacetime  (Read 69271 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2015, 11:40:55 PM »

It's back!  I think the grid looks good -- makes me think of those space-time grids that show the pull of gravity around a planet.

Great! That's exactly what I was trying to achieve :D

Have you considered trying some kind of unobtrusive background particles that always fell downwards?
I haven't tried that. I haven't thought about moving particles at all, might be worth taking a look at it. Cheers  Coffee

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2015, 08:53:07 PM »

Similiar to crusty's idea, when I was watching the First Impressions YouTube video I thought maybe you could indicate the gravity curving areas with cartooy gusts of wind carrying leaves around the curves. Like in this clip:

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »

Yeah, I do like the idea of moving particles. Wind doesn't seem to sell the curved space very well though, as it can turn around corners naturally.

The thing about contextual visual cues (rain, curved vegetation etc) is that it's only good for a particular context, and the game will have different worlds with different looks. Lot more work.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »

I made a Steam Greenlight concept page for the project. Hopefully it will give me some insight on what people outside the game developers environment think about it.

edit: Forgot the link: Apple and Worm concept page

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2015, 02:10:28 AM »

Code and level design are evolving. Art, however, is dragging itself as slow as possible. But I made this now:

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2015, 02:26:05 AM »

The basic ideas you have there open ways for crazy level design. That's great!
I'll be keeping an eye on this :D
Keep it up.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »

Fleshing out world 2

Feels empty, just like world 1. I think both need an extra layer between where the player is and the background.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »

Closer look on the cockroaches:

I really like them, there will be more of them certainly. Jazz band, playing cards, reading books etc.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »

I really like those roach dudes, but what is casting the light on the wall? Why not have a chandelier or something there?

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2015, 04:41:05 PM »

I really like those roach dudes, but what is casting the light on the wall? Why not have a chandelier or something there?

Oh, that. It was a last minute experiment. I just popped a light source there to see if it would actually look good. I like it, but it needs a proper sprite with a chandelier or whatever.

Glad you like it Smiley I'm not sure who this devlog is for. I kinda like writing stuff here but I'm not sure it's useful to anyone else. For anyone reading this: let me know if you'd like to see/read about some specific aspect of this development. I could break down some of the ideas behind the code etc.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2015, 01:23:43 AM »

After so long dormant I come here and spam the hell out of my devlog  Embarrassed

But anyway! I thought this looked cool:

It's like a platformer in polar coordinates  Durr...?

I'm exploring moving platforms. In particular, spherical moving platforms. As they move through a curved region is exactly the same as if it were spinning. The player has to keep walking so he doesn't fall off. I won't put spikes on it to make him jump too because this level is supposed to be early in the game. That's also why it's a circular shape and the player only climbs, I think it might be educational to make an early level where the player is forced to climb against a curved region before he faces a level where this is necessary and he doesn't see it as an option.

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »

I love the apple and the animations, the world seems charming and the music creates a great mood. I couldn't get too far into the game, I got stuck at some point, so maybe making it easier at first, while you are learning the game, would be good. I feel into a hole and all of a sudden I got 'warped' to where I started, kinds of breaks the "rotating world" illusion I had about the game. I know it's an early version and surely all this will be addressed, looking forward to it! Grin

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »

Any similarities are mere coincidences.

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »

Any similarities are mere coincidences.

haha I played cave story but I only know that sprite is from CS because I googled the image. Bon vivan roaches seem to be a common stereotype, I never noticed that until I actually made some. Joe's apartment, Men in Black (those aliens are totally roaches!) and I'm sure there's more.

@guille
Thanks for the feedback on the demo, and I agree with you. Difficulty curve and lack of visual reference for the curved regions are the main problems with it. That demo is pretty outdated though, I'm considering revisiting it in the future, at least to get rid of the most offensive bits to me lol. But that might be not worth the time and energy.

I feel into a hole and all of a sudden I got 'warped' to where I started, kinds of breaks the "rotating world" illusion I had about the game.
I'm not sure what to say about that. I was never trying to sell the world was rotating at all, the character is!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2015, 10:29:53 AM »

This is how the interdimensional beings will come. This thing will pop up from thin air, creating a shock wave (if I figure out how to do that) and then land smoothly like that. That's the idea, at least, but I'm not sure I like how it looks. It's hard to get the shiny surfaces to look shiny on a shape with so few faces. I might try different shapes, maybe something more complex, even though I like the minimalistic pyramid.

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »

That looks sweet D:
Is it a 3d object in a 2d environment, a sprite or did you draw it with some really fancy code?

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »

That looks sweet D:
Is it a 3d object in a 2d environment, a sprite or did you draw it with some really fancy code?

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »

Ever since I started working on the 'aliens' and their spaceship I noticed I need a better solution to organize the "cutscenes" in my game. I never thought a project like this would have the need for a feature like a cutscene creator, but it kinda does. By "cutscene" I mean anything that is automated. From dialogues to a camera pan showing showing the level to a complex interaction between several characters.

So I made an extremely simple and rudimentary system that is flexible enough to handle any automated scene my game might need. That's what I hope anyway. And it was pretty quick  to make too.

The most impressive cutscene ever

So I made a script called 'cutscenemaker' and put it on an empty gameobject in my scene. This script contains an array of classes called 'action', and each action contains 4 variables: a gameobject instance, a string representing a function to be called, a parameter and a timer.

When the script starts he basically goes through every entry in this array executing a broadcast with the variables in this action on the gameobject of the action.

It's very rudimentary. I have to crudely set up the scene inside the inspector window and I have to define functions in every character I intend to automate that are compatible with this system. But hey, it works.

keenPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »

I just played the first world and thought it was super cute! Really well done. The whole gravity theme with Newton and the apple are amazing! There's so much potential. I would be happy to play the second world (with the bugs)!

siskavard
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »

I love the green guy & the cockroaches!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic