Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:00:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDruids of Gemini - RPG/Adventure Game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Druids of Gemini - RPG/Adventure Game  (Read 22204 times)
Pastywhite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »

This is really awesome. I'm also loving the top-down/1st person mash-up. It's a really great way to mix two genres together. The artwork looks fantastic and the tools you've created to help you make layouts quickly seem very effective. I'm definitely hopeful about the future of this project.

Check out our MMORPG project at https://www.patreon.com/ghostmantis
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »

Liane's art is killer. Really nice tech too.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
zachstronaut
Level 0

Legend of Equip > Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »

Your pixel art is beautiful!

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »

I've been working on the data editor for combat which is part of the map editor.

There's a lot of data fields involved when creating a combat system for an RPG. I've sort of settled with a kind of component system. Where items/skills/spells are made up of up of components which alter the gameplay in some way.

For example a component might add a buff, or force a move, alter damage received etc.. I have 9 such components so far.

It's pretty time consuming coming up with all this data form edit stuff, so I'll probably be spending the next couple weeks on just creating data entry forms.

The good thing about it however is that once it's done, it's super easy to tweak and since it's a component system it should be easy to build new items/weapons from individual components.

Here's an example status effect as shown by the editor, showing the Magic Mirror status effect, which is made up of two components.

Full Size

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »

gorgeous stuff! your artist is fantastic and i love all of your influences for this. plus the 3d dungeoning could be just enough to make it "not just another pretty RPG".

very interested to see the character art!

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »

I'm still working on the data side of things RPG's require quite a lot of data considering the number of items / class / races /spells / buffs / restrictions / skills / levelups etc..

It's something that didn't really occur to me until I started coding it.

Id be interested to see how they manage all the data for a large game like Fallout.

I've been thinking about looking into doing some contract .net coding for a few months get prop my bank balance up again, we'll see how that goes.

Lianne has been drawing some nice looking dead trees. It would be nice to get a new screenshot together.

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »

So it's been ages since I last posted here.

I've moved into an office which Lianne and I now work from. It costs a bit more, but at least I now have some semblance of work/home life separation.

I took a break over Christmas but before that I got a bunch of work done. There's now a (completely unbalanced!) combat engine /w Art placeholders stolen from Phantasy Star. Complete with all the things you'd expect of a JRPG combat system like Status Effects, Poisons, Spells, Items etc... It'll be cool once we get some final assets. But I don't want to show it while I'm ripping assets from other games.

This week I've been giving a little love to the first person dungeon segments so people will stop telling me it reminds them of wolfenstein3D. I'll post some of those screens in a future update.

At the end of last year Lianne and I discussed moving away from a tile based approach, in order to convince me she did a mockup in gamemaker and posted the results to twitter. The tweet ended up getting over 150 retweets and over 300 favorites!

Here is the image

And here is a vine if you wanna see it in motion
https://vine.co/v/hxUgjbOlh3B

I have some ideas how to transition the engine over to a non-tile based engine, but I think it will enable us to create a much better looking game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:48:45 AM by JoshuaSmyth » Logged

Pastywhite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

Still lookin' great. Updates are awesome. Woot!

Check out our MMORPG project at https://www.patreon.com/ghostmantis
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 11:29:24 PM »

Free yourself from the tiles! Also I didn't see the 3D parts you mention, but I hope they are as pretty as the top views you show here! (and now following this)

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »

I'm spending this month working on the first person sections of the game.

I'm a super noob at shaders (and 3d modeling) but I'm learning me enough to put together some of the dungeons before someone who is better than me can do a pretty pass.

Currently you can import models and place them around the dungeons, I've also got slopes and pits so hopefully I'll be able to create some more interesting areas to explore than if each level was just flat land.

I also had a quick go at water caustics 1999 eat your heart out!

(Note: Textures stolen from various places - Final textures will probably be more flat to match the overworld, but its just placeholder at the moment.)

Erichermit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 10:30:53 PM »

Your art is gorgeous, and you have adeptly used the resources your pixel artist has given you in designing a good map (which can be flubbed up just as badly as the creation of the graphics themselves!)

The screenshot alone is enough to make me interested in your game. Smiley

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2014, 02:45:52 AM »

Incredible art!

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »

I had a quick go at adding some doors to the first person dungeon.

I wasn't sure how I was going to add support for 3d animations. Given that I didn't need anything too complex, (opening and closing doors and chests or flipping switches are as complicated as it's gonna get) I didn't want to add full animation skinning support or anything. So what I came up with is as follows:

A hinged mesh is made up of a base mesh with a transform matrix and up to two submeshes.
Each submesh is attached to the parent via a "hinge" which can be set to translate or rotate.

This means I can have a couple of different door types. Swinging doors (rotate) and vertical or sliding doors (translate)

It works reasonably well considering how simple it is and works with the current art pipeline, I just need to add a section in the editor to construct the doors from single meshes.

PS If you are implementing doors in your own game it's handy to have at least 4 states. Open, Closed, Opening and Closing.

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »

I've mentioned before that I'm looking into moving the overworld parts of the game away from tiles and to pre-drawn backgrounds. One thing that I have to solve for this is occlusion. I.E what is drawn infront of what and what needs to be re-drawn.

I decided to write a little test involving creating a depth map and then writing a pixel shader that compares objects with the depth map to determine what pixel to draw.

Here's the result

It might seem a bit strange to do it this way, but it has a couple of implications.

1) Backgrounds can have no limit to what they can show, as it will be rendered down to one texture.

2) Only need to sort dynamic objects, makes it easier to interleave with the static geometry. (For example particles that go behind some trees, but in front of others)

3) The biggest upside is that this technique will work in multiple perspectives. Console style RPG view, Adventure Game Perspective, Isometric, Side on and more. So if it works well, I could use it in a different style of game and we can play around with it a bit in Druids.

Downsides:
1) Use up more space, at least 2x2048x2048 textures (1 for the background, 1 for the depth map) But memory usage will be ok as it will just load the textures required for each area. I guess this will add a small amount to map load time (100-200ms at a guess?)

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »

Playing around with adding fog to the first person shader and the idea of adding an Ice Cave area.

Texture stolen from the internet. Work in progress. Programmer Art.

matriax
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 03:03:42 AM »

The screenshots seems a mix of: Sword and sorcery & Hyper Light Drifter , that looks so cool, animated gif of the last scene?
Savick
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 07:36:24 AM »

Just a head's up. Most of your images on the first page of the thread aren't showing up for me.
JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »

Just a head's up. Most of your images on the first page of the thread aren't showing up for me.

Cheers, I'm afraid they may be lost forever, made an oops with the webhost.

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 11:52:47 PM »

Spent the day doing an iPad build.

I've been playing around with the idea of doing border outlines on the 3d models.
I'm using the ol' expand in the direction of the normals and then flip them so they're backfaced trick.

The iOS port was interesting. It has been about six months since the last iPad build I thought I'd do it again from scratch. (I'm using monogame for the curious)

At first it was running at around ~20 frames per second, after disabling the dynamic lighting it's back up at ~60 with some dips in places. I'm doing this more as a proof of concept than an actual stable port as I need to focus on finishing the game and not worrying too much about the other platforms yet, except for making sure it's at least within reason to expect an iPad port down the line.

JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »

Been working on re-writing the overworld to use the new non-tiled system.

I've been doing this in a prototype project separate from the main build and I'll probably start merging the projects soon as I think I've pretty much proven to myself that the new non-tiled way of doing things is going to work.

I spent last week rewriting all the environmental effects. (Rain etc) as they would work in the new system.

The new system also has some benefits when it comes to particle effects, it's a lot simpler to have particle systems sorted by depth into the scene.

See animated gif.

Lianne has been working on a pretty sweet map of the Faerie kingdom. We'll probably post a video of a vertical pan on to youtube when it's done.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic