Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:55:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndie Game Sales Figures and Postmortems
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Indie Game Sales Figures and Postmortems  (Read 171644 times)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2016, 06:34:17 PM »

SteamSpy is pretty awesome. Not precise data, but great for ballparking.

The cool thing about not being on Steam is that I can share my own data since there aren't any contractual restrictions, so I've done just that today here. Cogmind's gross revenue for year 1 comes to US$ 62k (2,119 players). Data and graphs on the blog.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2016, 03:21:03 AM »

Kyzrati, very well done. Congratulations.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2016, 04:55:47 AM »

Thanks, just took a couple years of working on the engine and similar (free) games, then a couple more years working on the pre-alpha... Very not worth it when you count out the hours, but it's more fulfilling than doing jobs for others Tongue

Would have been rather disappointing if it couldn't eventually sustain itself, though, because it'll be nice to keep doing this! (Assuming I'm right in assuming enough people will buy when the price is lower, so that I'm no longer in debt Big Laff)

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2016, 06:19:10 AM »

Kyzrati, just keep in mind the growth and development phase (of yourself) never counts to being worthy in the math early on. It continuously adds to your career though. Your success puts you in group that very few game developers ever join. Feel proud. Some games make millions, some are profitable, some break-even, but most fail financially (95%), and all of that is just 5% of the true total as most games do not get finished (95%), and then who knows how many games never even exist from people who wish they could make them but never start. Those numbers are just approximations I have read, but likely they tell a close to true story.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2016, 06:42:57 AM »

Yup, I've heard the same truths. This is why I'm already plenty happy with where things stand. It's not a bad start for someone playing to win here (not like a million dollars win, but a basic rent and food win Roll Eyes)

Too bad this thread doesn't really get much love anymore. Would be interesting to see how other TIGS games are doing these days, though I guess most are Steam-based and can't share the data. Anyway, that's why I dropped by to post mine--anyone else out there??? Smiley

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »

I didn't realize Steam makes you sign into an NDA on sales.

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2016, 07:39:33 AM »

Kyzrati, interesting to read Smiley Personally I'm not sure I even saw this topic before, this forum section is imo quiet enough to make a new topic for each new post-mortems! (As long as there's some value in the post-mortem, of course.)

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »

I didn't realize Steam makes you sign into an NDA on sales.
Yep, they do, which is why you never see devs giving specific numbers from there. At most what some do is give "composite" figures when they're selling across multiple storefronts, so technically they aren't giving out Steam-specific data (sort of a way around the NDA), but even then you still don't normally see actual money values.

Kyzrati, interesting to read Smiley Personally I'm not sure I even saw this topic before, this forum section is imo quiet enough to make a new topic for each new post-mortems! (As long as there's some value in the post-mortem, of course.)
Heh, good point Smiley. I also threw the full post up in my dev log thread, and there's more traffic over there, anyway. Don't want to spam it *everywhere* Tongue (but I always remember this sticky in the business section, which was especially interesting before the arrival of SteamSpy)

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »

Well I'll still post my own post-mortem here, despite what I said, because I don't feel it really deserve its own thread :D It probably won't be very interesting for people already seriously invested in game dev, but maybe for aspiring and beginners, if any come by here Smiley
http://3-50.net/post-mortem-red-skies/

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2016, 09:43:20 AM »

One thing to remember about SteamSpy and kickstarted games is that the number of kickstarter backers should be deducted from the SteamSpy figures if you want a more accurate sales number.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »

Well I'll still post my own post-mortem here, despite what I said, because I don't feel it really deserve its own thread :D It probably won't be very interesting for people already seriously invested in game dev, but maybe for aspiring and beginners, if any come by here Smiley
http://3-50.net/post-mortem-red-skies/
Mobile is brutal xD. Good read, though! Good luck on the road to that Big Project Smiley

One thing to remember about SteamSpy and kickstarted games is that the number of kickstarter backers should be deducted from the SteamSpy figures if you want a more accurate sales number.
Absolutely, that and the fact that some games distribute in extremely cheap bundles, which inflates their numbers and might not represent interest in the game itself (and often not much revenue, either).

Major_Minion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2016, 04:57:16 AM »

Amazing blog, Kyzrati! Made me want to try your game. What nice work, and so much interesting content! Smiley
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2016, 05:04:44 AM »

Thanks. Well, I did just drop the price a couple months ago after that post Wink. (But seriously, it's still just for diehard fans.) That brought a temporary surge of new players--revenue up to $68k.

spesknight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2016, 06:42:32 AM »

Thanks. Well, I did just drop the price a couple months ago after that post Wink. (But seriously, it's still just for diehard fans.) That brought a temporary surge of new players--revenue up to $68k.

$68k or $68? It is quite a difference...
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2016, 11:41:47 AM »

Are you saying that people on Kickstarter get the games for free? Grin  They also pay for the game so that number won't make much of a difference.  In fact, Steam gives out keys for free and if the developers send those keys to players then Steam doesn't take it's cut from that portion.

mctb32
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2016, 02:48:59 AM »

Book of Demons - hack & slash early access on Steam, Humble + direct sales - almost 7500 copies in 2 months.

Here is the full early access launch postmortem detailing our marketing efforts since start: https://thingtrunk.com/bod-early-access-launch-postmortem/ Have a nice read Smiley

Gameplay trailer:

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/449960/

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:56:14 AM by mctb32 » Logged
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2016, 07:02:09 AM »

The cool thing about not being on Steam is that I can share my own data since there aren't any contractual restrictions, so I've done just that today here. Cogmind's gross revenue for year 1 comes to US$ 62k (2,119 players). Data and graphs on the blog.

Well done!  That's kind of a feat considering you didn't list on Steam.  Was that a conscious choice or was there no interest from them?

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2016, 07:10:51 AM »

I'm sure there would be plenty of interest over there. Even GOG contacted me last year, something they don't seem to do too often for relatively obscure games... But in any case, if you've already built a fan base outside Steam, why release there first and give up so much of that revenue for nothing? I'll definitely put it there later, but it doesn't make much business sense to do it early on if it isn't necessary.

NightwareGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2016, 01:21:20 PM »

Didn't know about that, thank you :O
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »

Hi, I wrote a blog showing our sales stats so far here:
http://www.squeakywheel.ph/blog/2017/1/18/political-animals-sales-statistics

tl:dr version:

We needed to sell about 10000 units to break even, but sold less than 3000 so far.

91% of our sales came from Steam.

Chinese localization of your game might surprise you at how well it boosts your sales.

88% of our sales came from Windows, 11% Mac, 1% Linux

We have a huge discrepancy between people that have wishlisted the game and actually bought it. leading us to believe they're waiting for a much lower price.

Our relatively uninteresting sales graph!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic