Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:23:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDormant Cells
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dormant Cells  (Read 5161 times)
4baka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »

Hey guys.  Been lurking here for a few days now, love all the comments you guys have posted for other titles.

Having said that I guess its time I put up or shut up.

Dormant Cells is a text bases strategy MMO 4 of us have been developing for about a year.  I did all the HTML templates and in game images, designed the game mechanics, and play style. 

Currently I'm doing marketing for it while we test it live on the server.

The game was heavily influenced by the movie Munic(tm).  I didn't want to put out a game themed around terrorism that involved civilian casualties. So instead removed all reference to them by making a game that pits terrorist cell against anti-terror cells.

The idea is this:  You have received an initial bunch of funding by various political supporters of your cause with the intent that you are to build up your forces and destroy those of your enemies. In short your mission is to make it imposable for them to further their goals.

You can do this in a number of ways:
  • Tatcial assault-(direct attack)
  • Surgical Strike-(stealth attack on specific unit types)
  • Sabotage-(sneak attack on opponant resource, destroy property and inventories)
  • Propaganda-(targets enemy morale-currently non functional (doesn't do anything in game yet)
The game focuses heavily on gathering the required intel on your target before attacking and planning on exactly what to attack to cause the most damage to your opponant.

Not sure what the rules are regarding links and url's from your site guys so if it is ok to post direct links please let me know and I'll put the facebook and myspace links here as well as the game server, and game forums here.

screens:

There are a more images available on facebook, and myspace but will wait till you guys respond before posting any of those links on your forums.

Game server link:
http://beta.dormantcells.com

Forums Link:
http://forums.dormantcells.com

Looking forward to hearing back.  This is the first title I've EVER worked on so am very interested in how I've performed thus far.  I'm pretty proud for getting this far even with no formal schooling. =)

Thanx in advance guys,
4baka AKA James

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:45:09 PM by 4baka » Logged

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:38:32 PM »

Screenshots dont seem to work :I
4baka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:46:52 PM »

ya I posted here b4 upping them to my server, my apologies.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:04:27 PM »

I made an account, but I havent got to play much yet. I like the layout and the images are really cool! Looks fun!

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:11:16 AM »

Hey, I'm sorry.  It is a compulsion:
4baka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 06:04:51 AM »

hahahahaha I love this site.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 08:55:16 AM »

Hey there!
I've just signe dup and I'm waiting for my "approval" email.

Once I can play, I'll tell you what I think. BTW, I have two little things I'd like to say. First, on the website, give us a way to return to the homepage, perhaps by clicking the banner. When I clicked signed up, I had no other way than the back button to return to the home page. You have to make sure your users can always access the front page at all time. Same thing for the forums. I can easily access the home page for the forums but not for the website. You gotta add a link back home.

Speaking of which, your website may need a little padding. You should tell us a bit more about the game, how it works, what the players can do, how it's played... All I know right now is that I joined a website that can make me fight virtual terrorists. I dunno how, I dunno why, I dunno if I can play off-line too or not, what are the reuqirments etc... Just try to seel your project more on your website. Put up some news, artwork, screenshots, etc... Give us reasons for wanting to join your community.

Well, talk to ya later!
Guert

4baka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 07:37:40 AM »

Awesome suggestions.

And the majority of my time this week will be spent making them happen.  Currently there isn't much story to the game, and its playable but not all of the functions are operating as yet.

Response has been very positive thus far.  Keep those suggestions coming. =)

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:20:36 AM »

I've started playing. The concept seems interesting but I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I know I can recruit people but I have to go somewhere else to see how much I got.

The game tells me I don,t have enough basic intel to attack others and when I go into the intel option, it tells me I need a data center. I have no idea where to create this data center.   

I believe you should have a very clear tutorial for new players. Create a page on your website that you can view at all time. You already have the game guide but I'm thinking of something more user friendly with images that explains quickly how to get started for brand new players. It could be displayed on the confirmaton of your account or the first time you log in or when you create your first cell.

Anyway, I'll play a bit more and I'll tell you what I think later! 
Take care!

4baka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »

there is, and there is a link to it from the in game menu.

Following the tutorial will show you how to create a cell, build resources, staff them, recruit units, and buy equipment and equip it on guys.

You missed prolly 2 or 3 links in bright red which say game guide, game rules, create cell etc.

Game guide can be accessed from the game menu.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 03:16:30 PM »

True, and I am well aware of this. The problem is, it's not clear enough. When you start a new game, you look everywhere and you're overflowed by information. Although very clear for someone who's used to the game, new comers who just want to play will pass over this information because it lacks punch. You really have to take your new player by the hand. The news section cathc your eyes alot more because they have a very different color. The bright blue catches all the attention while your dark red links on top are lost in the rest of the color scheme of the page.

I'd simply add a sticky news saying: "New to Dormant cell? Read this!". The guide in itself is ok. I'd just add links to the next topic in the posts. Like "Step 2: I've created a cell, what next?" link to the post of the same title. I'd also add an index link that bring you back to the guide section. I know you alreayd have this option in the forum controls, but as I said, you really ahve to guide your players slowly and clearly when they first get in the game.

The introduction to the rules and behaviors of the game is the most important thing of all. When learning a new topic, people will want to incurgitate as much information as possible evn though they can't. It's natural. That's why you have to make eveyrthing easy to swallow at first. You'll prepare their stomach slowly by giving them easy to chew bites. You have to make it quick because your player will be very hungry, still, make it short and sweet. Then, when your done, they'll be able to truly savour all the different flavours of your game.

If you don't catch them as soon as they land in your game, they'll skip the crucial step, try to gobble things up and vomit everything, never to come back. Some with stronger stomach might remain and then tell people "it's hard at first but then it's okay" but you'll loose alot more players than you'll atract.   

Anyway, I'll post some new comments once I get to play a bit more.
Later!

4baka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 08:25:17 AM »

kk do you think a flash video tutorial would be the best solution?  Something the user simply watches and then duplicates for themselves?

Perhaps one for each major action in the game? 

I admit I didn't spend all that much time on the guide.  My main priority was getting the images done and in on time for launch.  The guide was to be done as the originally intended functions were added.  Also one of the beta testers has said they will be drafting a comprehensive guide as well, which I thought was pretty cool of them.

As for the forums, which admin would I approach if I was going to put a TIG thread on the game forums, to maybe show our support for this community.  The forum would link back to the home page here and maybe drive some more numbers this way as there are many very cool indie titles that need exposure here.

I really respect all the suggestions you guys provide.  I expect great things from this title of mine.  I have 5 more in the works for after this as well.  And to make this happen we are fortunate to have as much support as we do.

Thanx again guys, James AKA 4baka   

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »

Tue flash tutorial would be especialy sweet. Just make sure that the player can select a topic, or have a rewind button of some sort, so he can watch whatever he wants when he wants. Of course, some tutorials don't have a topic or rewind features and they work well too. Just keep in mind that you ahve to make it short, precise and simple.

The best way to create a good guide is by asking your testers. They're the ones discovering your world so they know best if it's clear or not. If your players are going to help you out, it'll be even better than if you'd just write it up yourself.

You can send a message to Derek, Alec or BMcC if you want to approach the admin of the boards. They're pretty much the biggest cheese here.

Talk to you later!
Guert 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 08:40:16 AM by Guert » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic