Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:33:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesWhat's with the vitriol?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: What's with the vitriol?  (Read 12130 times)
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »

that was a bunch of words and im not sure what they mean when you put them together like that. please show yr work.
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »

Love and hate should co-exist.

Disagreement should be respectful and certainly doesn't have to equal hate. I can see plenty of room for disagreement on a forum such as this, but can't think of a situation in which condoning the existence of "hate" would be useful or a good idea.
When love and hate co-exist, they will understand each other, and thus creating a mutual respect. Just don't tell me the crap like i won't hate something i hate, or i never hate anything. It just doesn't make sense for human not to hate and just pure love.

As for "dislike", since passive-agressive snark count as hate, dislike should count as hate too. Just think it's somewhere 60% in the scale of 100%, 0% being love, and 100% being hate.

Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:14 PM »

Love and hate should co-exist.

Disagreement should be respectful and certainly doesn't have to equal hate. I can see plenty of room for disagreement on a forum such as this, but can't think of a situation in which condoning the existence of "hate" would be useful or a good idea.
Just don't tell me the crap like i won't hate something i hate, or i never hate anything

I said that?

As for "dislike", since passive-agressive snark count as hate, dislike should count as hate too. Just think it's somewhere 60% in the scale of 100%, 0% being love, and 100% being hate.

I'm not really following your reasoning here (I think I may just need my morning coffee). Where do you get passive aggressive snark = hate = dislike? Where did you make the leap from snark to hate, and why does dislike have to "count" as either? I don't even know what the weird percentages mean or what you're basing them on, really Smiley

Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 11:29:27 PM »

I said that?
No, you didn't, i just assume that people will tell me that.

I'm not really following your reasoning here (I think I may just need my morning coffee). Where do you get passive aggressive snark = hate = dislike? Where did you make the leap from snark to hate, and why does dislike have to "count" as either? I don't even know what the weird percentages mean or what you're basing them on, really Smiley
Well, that's weird. Maybe it's because i didn't say the OP said that.

Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41:59 PM »

I said that?
No, you didn't, i just assume that people will tell me that.

Well, that's weird. Maybe it's because i didn't say the OP said that.

D'oh, sorry, you're right and your whole post makes a lot more sense to me now. It seems the smell of coffee + rereading the original post has awoken my brain cells.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 02:16:22 AM »

Some of this kinda stuff creeps into Art as well fwiw.

Technical is clean as a whistle except for some less than kindly said "you don't know what the fuck you're talking about" responses, which are few and far between.

I don't read general often. The rape thread I posted in recently has been spamming me with some guy comes along, says its censorship or people are hypersensitive and then the same points are made in a circle until the idiot loses interest.

...I wish I could unfollow that thread, is that an option?

Either way the latter pattern seems to be the main source of the anger in Art sometimes as well, that and people get mad at Cellusious or Carrion and they get mad back.

I'm not sure how much of an blight I see it as because while the anger can be pretty hurtful, the community being the most insular thing this side of anywhere is a larger issue and both seem somewhat ingrained. Good to discuss I guess.

Thus ends my pre dinner rant. Apologies for not contributing more than words.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 03:00:49 AM »

if hate truly was a bad thing it would have been evolved out of our species long ago. hate exists for a reason. it has survival value. a man who can't hate is of no use to anyone, and should be crucified

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 03:04:10 AM »

if you do not have a healthy hate for nerds upon death you are not allowed to pass the 4th gate of heaven to enter eternal bliss
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 03:32:58 AM »

if hate truly was a bad thing it would have been evolved out of our species long ago.
That was a bit of an evpsych wank, Paul.
Bad and evolutionarily advantageous are completely separate things and the relationship between genetics and psychology is nebulous at best, pretty sure you know this.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 03:37:34 AM »

Plus, we've needed hate until about 6000 years ago (rough start of bronze age), which isn't enough time to evolve it out of our system.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 03:52:51 AM »

if hate truly was a bad thing it would have been evolved out of our species long ago.
That was a bit of an evpsych wank, Paul.
Bad and evolutionarily advantageous are completely separate things and the relationship between genetics and psychology is nebulous at best, pretty sure you know this.

i don't think you recognized it as being a joke (note the crucifixion reference)

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 04:13:03 AM »

I did not. Can never be too careful with that sort of thing but sorry for jumping on your ass either way.

Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 05:29:49 AM »

a man who can't hate is of no use to anyone, and should be crucified
ar yu talkin about jeesus and boodah paul?

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 05:56:07 AM »

its okay to say Jesus and Buddha you wont go to internet jail
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 06:04:13 AM »

who goes to internet jail?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 06:05:50 AM »

Eva does. But she has a man on the inside, someone who's name rhymes with Raul Peres (Dammit, I don't actually know how his last name is pronounced. Is it Eeries, or Ears?)

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Blambo
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »

Either way the latter pattern seems to be the main source of the anger in Art sometimes as well, that and people get mad at Cellusious or Carrion and they get mad back.

The best part comes along when they get mad at each other
Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »

The best part comes along when they get mad at each other
Like what? Battle of the two artist via their art? All i can see is that people defending both attacker and C & C iirc.  Can't say that's the best part though. Maybe you're talking about people who put up art optimistically despite the hassle that's happening.

Blambo
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »

No I get really sad every time they fight over nonsense. Sometimes it's not even about their content.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »

Some of this kinda stuff creeps into Art as well fwiw.

Technical is clean as a whistle except for some less than kindly said "you don't know what the fuck you're talking about" responses, which are few and far between.

I don't read general often. The rape thread I posted in recently has been spamming me with some guy comes along, says its censorship or people are hypersensitive and then the same points are made in a circle until the idiot loses interest.

...I wish I could unfollow that thread, is that an option?

I'm not sure how much of an blight I see it as because while the anger can be pretty hurtful, the community being the most insular thing this side of anywhere is a larger issue and both seem somewhat ingrained. Good to discuss I guess.

Thus ends my pre dinner rant. Apologies for not contributing more than words.

It's good to talk about this stuff!

John is doing his best to clean up Art. General/Games are tough forums to moderate by any measure, but Technical/Art have always been bastions of sanity and goodposting, so we definitely want to preserve that.

People shitposting in Technical/Art/Feedback/Devlogs is bad, and I generally remove any posts I see like that and issue warnings.

If you see a shitpost outside of General/Games, feel free to click report.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic