Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 09:32:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLetters from Earth
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Letters from Earth  (Read 21489 times)
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:13:20 AM »

Letters from Earth

Here is a devlog for some game. I don't know what it's about but it features or will feature myriad gameplay styles, including--

• jumping
  • ecosystem management
  • stealth
  • farming
  • SHMUP
  • dating sim
  • super mario bros. 2
  • digital pet
  • run n' gun
  • cooking simulation
  • pikmin

In this game you play as a human on the earth 33 000 000 years in the future. Most of the game centers around you assisting and facilitating the relationship between two super-computers-- one of which is a vain and temperamental machine which orbits the earth and is indifferent to all life. The other is a machine which was left explicit instructions by its creator to maintain conditions for life on earth as long as possible.

With this game I am also currently pioneering the use of a main character wearing different hats...

...something which has never been done before. I try to update weeklyish.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:24:27 PM by kyleo » Logged

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »

Sometimes you wear hats. This is a hat that looks like a rock. Not sure what hiding from. Probably big scary monsters to add in soon.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:04:41 PM by aldo » Logged

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »

I don't know what this is about.. but it looks interesting! The art style gives off a friendly tone =)

EDIT:

Oh and some criticism about the jump. I think the player should fall much faster, rather than glide down. Other than that, everything looks just fine!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:23:37 PM by Code_Assassin » Logged
gokimen
Level 0

Owyeah

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »

Can you tell us more about the game? some background story perhaps? or a playable version?

Check out the Ulingameworks team! Gentleman
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:17:45 AM »

interesting art style man, add monsters,gore and destruction pls! Beer!
Morgondag
Level 1

http://morgondag.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »

This is so cute, love it!  Kiss

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:14:39 AM »

I think the player should fall much faster, rather than glide down.

Duly noted. Will make gravity more oppressive.

some background story perhaps?

No story fully materialized as yet. Setting is Earth. You play as human. Might be what could possibly be considered... maybe metroidvania... though, with current momentum in my brain... maybe more of a sidescrolling Shenmue.

There is one button to use current hat ability. Some hats have no ability. There is also context sensitive button. You can use to talk to people and other things. Sometimes there are context specific things in certain places that you can only do when wearing certain hats.

Here is a new hat for when not hiding under rocks. It is a stump. You can shoot a leaf, and it will come back to you sometimes.

This stump hat has special ability. When you stand on other stump and use context specific button with hat equipped, you can change the seasons. This is an original idea and probably has not been seen in other games.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 03:34:24 AM »

Spent most of weekend with level design. Personally maybe most difficult part. Leaves seem too colorful compared to rest of gray world. Also kind of... "busy". Trying to find balance between not too plain and not too "busy". Working on it.

Also added a new hat-- but does not do anything yet.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »

Was sick for a while. Working on some sort of worm/bird/monster for stealth section. It eats you when it sees you...
but you can't see it's eyes...
this creates epistemological problems that I don't want to discuss.

ZeppelinCaptain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 03:18:50 AM »

Spent most of weekend with level design. Personally maybe most difficult part. Leaves seem too colorful compared to rest of gray world. Also kind of... "busy". Trying to find balance between not too plain and not too "busy". Working on it.

Also added a new hat-- but does not do anything yet.

Re: trying to balance busy with plain, this article from the artist behind Braid is excellent if you haven't read it. He talks a lot about making it clear what things are available for interaction, and what is just there for show. I know that you're not going for the same style, but it's still a good read.

I love the worm thing. And your links to show that all ideas are completely original. Will follow this.

Edit: whoops, forgot the link: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132147/the_art_of_braid_creating_a_.php?print=1
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:50:28 AM by ZeppelinCaptain » Logged

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 03:21:47 AM »

This game looks incredibly cute and I'm loving the mechanics. What are you making it in? Gomez

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 04:16:06 AM »

As it was mentioned already - the game looks really cute and I also like the color pick. Hat mechanics are very ineresting as well, I like it. I'm wondering where this is going - keep it up Smiley

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:47 AM »

Lovely looking game, aldo. Looks very polished!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 05:53:32 AM »

Was sick for a while. Working on some sort of worm/bird/monster for stealth section. It eats you when it sees you...
but you can't see it's eyes...
this creates epistemological problems that I don't want to discuss.
Oh wow, love the enemy design.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »

I'm loving the art in general here!   Your inventive hats are interesting, too.  Makes me wonder what other hats you'll come up with.
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »

Looks intresting! Feels like something I havn't seen before. Especially the monsters are nice.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 05:10:09 AM »

Humans don't walk upright. This is a fact. Because this fact, it is difficult to pick things up. Problem is solved with this hat--

This hat uses the context button. You can pick things when wearing this hat, and then throw them, but when not wearing this hat there is no way to interact with them. Also included is spinning forward thrust. Doubles as both an offensive attack and also used to till ground for farming mechanic. Earth is barren, so turnips and cabbage grow well. Going to probably add small enemies next week.

Also worked on large moving platforms--

The one in the pic and gif is actually quite small. I plan on making some large, level sized platforms. These large moving platforms are part of the stealth level where you hide under your rock hat to avoid being seen by very large predatory worm-bird-monster-things.

Re: trying to balance busy with plain, this article from the artist behind Braid is excellent if you haven't read it. He talks a lot about making it clear what things are available for interaction, and what is just there for show. I know that you're not going for the same style, but it's still a good read.

Thank you for that, yes that was interesting... though I must say the main message I gleamed from that article is to keep trying over and over until it looks right.

This game looks incredibly cute and I'm loving the mechanics. What are you making it in? Gomez

Crayons and Color Pencils.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:17:18 AM by aldo » Logged

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 08:19:51 AM »

the art is great. i like your humor.
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »

Graphics look sexy. World looks good in motion. Hat mechanics are cool.

Also, I see your game has jumping in it - I've never seen a game that's done that before.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 06:37:12 PM »

Hat based game mechanics are always a win. Really nice art/palette. Following.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic