Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:28:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCurse of the Bastards
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Curse of the Bastards  (Read 12195 times)
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »

Also, just added some characters I developed to a sheet! Tell me what you think =D

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »

Oh Lemon, I'm so grateful for artists like you make Tigsource a wonderful place <3

Those characters are great, the detail really tells a story for each of them.
toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 03:42:02 AM »

These are fantastic! Do I see some Soul Reaver/Legacy Of Kain influence in there?
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »

Oh Lemon, I'm so grateful for artists like you make Tigsource a wonderful place <3

Those characters are great, the detail really tells a story for each of them.

Now you're just being too kind! Thanks alot! =D I do actually have a story for each of them :p Still trying to get the time to writte'em down! But I'll post it here aswell as on Tumblr. I'm glad the art is in the right track~

These are fantastic! Do I see some Soul Reaver/Legacy Of Kain influence in there?

Thanks Matt! And yeah! Bartholomeus is totally a breed between Alucard and Raziel! I'm throwing in references of games I loved to play as a child, so you might expect a little Soul Reaver, Silent Hill, Castlevania, Ghosts and Goblins references :p

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 08:25:12 AM »

for artists like you make 
Oh my, that grammar.
Yeah my weakness is hand drawn game art haha
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »

I'm finishing a few tiles right now! Trying to match some colors and contrasts and getting slopes and everything to blend well enough! :D It's turning out pretty awesome! I should start working on Level-design Micro (Macro being the map of the Castle, wich is already done, Micro being the Room-setup). Have an image of Adrian running fierecely (wich is my Avatar, so it's not anything new)

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 08:26:35 PM »

Just posted some Lore in Tumblr! (http://curse-of-the-bastards.tumblr.com/post/62128146594/lore1)

Posting it here too, tell me what you guys think D:

Since the dawn of creation, with the seed of a nightmare, the first demon was born, bringing chaos into the new land of creation. The first of them all was Cain, the master of vampires. Cain ravaged the world during his legacy. As he was finally defeated, he swore he would return after 4.000 years, professing that in his next coming the world would not stand his power.

The second one was Lilith, the queen of Nightmares. Though she was born before Cain, she only turned to a demon after her mind was shattered to darkness, enslaving her soul into a world that she would never be free. She came to destroy all men, and turn them into demons that would serve her without question. The first female hunter of the Brandmont family showed, defeating Lilith and imprisoning her in the mind of an ancient stone giant that would sleep for over 10.000 years.

Vlad was the third of the great vampires. He was the only one that really brandished a sword, armor and control over the power of shadows and flames. Alone,  Vlad tore down armies of Templars and fought heroes and legends, until he was destroyed by his only son, an ally of an old Brandmont. His ashes were then scattered and his blood was thrown into the shadow lake.

The forth one was Bathory, the countess of blood. In life, she ripped and tore and tortured her servents for their blood. Conceited and vile as no one had ever seen, this witch of blood was capable of using it to forge weapons, armors, creatures, and even controlling lesser minds. In the second Era, she was challenged by four hunters of the Brandmont family and was defeated by the only one of them that lived: Drasmos, who used dark arts of fire control to burn the witch. Drasmos was the only Brandmont to ever use magic, since then.

The fifth and last one was Nosferatu, the horrid. His presence was not discovered until only 5 people of a village of thousands were left. Nosferatu, unlike the other great vampires, hadn’t taken refugee in a castle, or even cared about luxury and wealth. He lived under the ground, as a violent beast, crawling out at night to kidnap and slay his victims. Nosferatu couldn’t be found, and took over 3 generations of the Brandmont clan for him to be finally defeated. Hidden in shadows no men could enter, he would have the perfect ground for any combat. He was imprisoned in a block of melted silver and thrown 800 meters bellow in the shadow lake.

During the Eclipse in the forth era, the cycle of 4.000 years of Cain’s death was completed. The black moon brought the omen, as the shadow lake dried, bringing to the air a dense, dark mist around what is now a deep dark abyss. A horrifying scream was heard in the depths of the crater: Nosferatu was free, hungrier than ever. A laugh was heard in the middle of the mist, where Bathory was reborn. The ancient of stone was found destroyed, as Lilith was free again. Vlad was brought back from his eternal slumber and armed himself again against humanity as finally in the tallest tower of the castle in the middle of the mist, Cain observed as the light in this world comes to its end.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »

retweet repost share like favorite
jlauener
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 01:17:30 AM »

You got some gorgeous art going there, really like how it looks! Will we be able to try some alpha build of this anytime soon? Smiley

Currently working on Whack-A-Dungeon (IndieDB / twitter)
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 05:25:10 AM »

I wouldn't describe it as "Soon" but I'm working on it every little time I get. This is a Solo project, meaning I'm doing EVERYTHING in the game. Art, programming, balancing, gamedesign, leveldesign, etc xD The only stuff I'm not doing is music and sfx because I have a dude just for this. I don't know when I'll have an "Alpha". I'm aiming to release the demo version of the game in about 6 months.~

:D

CryingGhost
Level 0

gomennasai

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »

This looks very interesting and cool! I'm looking forward to seeing more Smiley
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »

Just updated a new devlog in Tumblr! :D I'll transcribe it here, because you guys can actually comment.

Hey everyone! This is the first actual devlog (hence #1), so let’s begin. I’m very excited about the project. It’s awesome to make something solo because I get to choose wether a character is going to wear underwear on his face or not. Good freedom! Or…. so I’ve been told. Still, in this last week I have sketched most of the characters and written their stories. I’ll post each of them here moderatly. The game will revolve around Bartholomeus and Pitch. In the Character Selection you get to pick one of them. Bartholomeus is a ranged caster, Pitch is a melee berzerk. They both have their perks and flaws. I already know how the game is going to progress and how the game is going to end (both history, gameplay, cinematics, etc) but I’m not spoiling that, of course.

The deal of the game is: You have a big castle to explore. You can do whatever you want, but if you venture too much where you’re not supposed to yet, you’ll likely get killed, and that means Game Over Screen, Load Game, so yeah, you’ll have to visit the save rooms often. There will be no “Level” or “Inventory”. I’m working with the good’old Megaman X sort of balance: Upgrades! You Upgrade yourself part by part, and yeah, you get to choose what part you want to upgrade… well, sometimes you don’t. But your character will visually evolve acording to the upgrades you make.

The level design is split in what I call, Macro and Micro Level Designs. The Macro is your progression along the castle. The places you have to go to and where you’re suppose to go through to get there. The Micro, then, is the room level design, challenge or puzzle.

In fact, yesterday I got my Level design sheets in the mail!

There will be bosses. Lotza bosses. But you want to worry about 5. The game’s whole mot is about killing those 5 legendary Bosses. They are: Nosferatu, Bathory, Vlad, Lilith and Cain. If you read the last lore post, you will understand some more of the story of the universe in Curse of the Bastards. There may be secret rooms, shh…

Here’s a sneak Peek of Lilith’s portrait:

And that’s it for now!

What am I currently doing: Room Level Design, Drawing Tiles, Making some more animations for the main characters.

What has been done since the last devlog: I made a lot of concepts, Game Sprites for some of the main characters (some of them are not even on this image), 5 (out of 10) Portraits of Main characters, Tiles for 3 different Areas, Map with described Areas (size, entrances/exits, save rooms, Teleport rooms and Bosses), programmed Basic movement mechanics.

What will I do next: More Portraits, Finish building at least 5 rooms and playtest to find a few basic parameters (Such as difficulty of physical obstacles, disregarding creature interventions). Make more tiles and preferably decorative props and room-backgrounds (wich should take some time.)

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »

More lore! This time I threw in a portrait! :3

The Brandmont Clan is a long traditional lineage of monster hunters. Since the very first Era, when Cain almost vanquished humanity, the big group of warriors that stood against him were led by Arios Brandmont, a common army officer who decided to lead whoever wanted to battle against the forces of Evil. Through his life, Arios grew paranoid with the return of evil creatures, wich led him to teach his kids the ways of monster slaying. This tradition was then passed on until present days.

Adrian Brandmont -

"I always wanted to be a bard. Playing music in the woods is so relaxing, so awesome! But… yeah, it’s not going to happen. About 10 years ago a giant rock fell from a flying castle and squashed my father like a potato while he was harvesting the crops. Yeah, he was a simple farmer… a black sheep to the Brandmont clan, in the words of my grandfather. The thing is… my uncle was in the castle destroying every monster he would find… so he fell responsible for the death of my father, and chose to redeem himself  by training me as his successor.

Uncle Judiah couldn’t have children since he was bitten in the crotch by a Succubus, so this was good for my mom, who had someone to count on and for my uncle, who would finally pass on the clan’s legacy. It was not good for me though… I always wanted to be a bard… Why do I have to carry on this stupid name?! Anyway… For 10 years he trained me without rest… and early this year a giant castle appeared from out of nowhere, floating where once there was a lake.

Uncle Judiah said it was the biggest castle he’d ever seen. Even the maybe the biggest castle of all times! And worse! He told me with a straight face: “Go give them hell”. Like… what?! I can’t do that!!! How would I … I don’t even!… so… anyway… he was extremelly disappointed at me. He equipped his old gear and the family flail and headed to the castle alone.

A day later I came to realize… I can’t allow him to get hurt… I know it’s scary and maybe the monsters there will wear my intestines as a scarf… but I have to save my uncle!

I am a Brandmont after all!”

Side note:
Please notice: you will not play as Adrian. :p

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 07:23:02 AM »

I need a little constructive criticism guys! D: What do you guys think I should change/remove from the game ? Is it lookin-feeling alright so far ?

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:08 AM »

Without actual game play its hard to really comment. Your art style looks great. I like the idea of a metroid upgrade system. All I can say is keep at it man, I know its hard when you put a lot of effort in but still haven't got anything actually playable. 
Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »

I like the art style of the sheet very much, it seems to be "manga meets mid-age books". I hope we can see the game in action soon.

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

There were a new little devlog last thursday! (I forgot to post it here), also, this weekend was very productive! :D Did alot of animations, tweaks and small setups (such as making support for gamepad) I'll detail it better in this week's devlog!

http://curse-of-the-bastards.tumblr.com/post/62998361029/devlog-2-the-little-things

Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »

Really nice artstyle, can't wait to see some gameplay. Just a small suggestion, could you make the tumble more mobile friendly if you plan on linking to that for news? The upper menu kind of gets in the way blocking one third of the screen if I zoom on the text.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »

Great artwork! cant wait to see this in action!

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

I had some minor trouble getting time to work on the game this week! The production process hasn't delayed still. (really, I worked a little, I just couldn't export anything I did in gif format to show off.) So I'll be doing that this week.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic