Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:14:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNubs' Adventure - I'm done! :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Nubs' Adventure - I'm done! :)  (Read 19860 times)
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

Long time, no see! Smiley

I've secretly been working away on this little game here, just haven't had anything really noteworthy to post.

Recently, I've been giving the iOS version the proper care it needs. So far, I've managed to make it run stable and with proper framerate on Apple devices dating back to the iPhone4s, which is as far as I will go. If it runs good there, it should run good on newer hardware. Also, IAP is implemented and integrated into the world. I really liked the old model I had with my last game Rico, where there is a free lite version and a full paid version. The thing I didn't like about it was that things like download numbers, ratings and comments were divided, which might also have cost me some sales in the long run. Nubs' Adventure will only be one version that's free. Further down in the game, you hit a literal paywall, that you can lower by purchasing a one-time IAP. I hope to get the best of both worlds with this: let players experience the game first, see what it's all about, enabling them to make an informed decision on whether it's a game they like or not... we'll see how that goes! Smiley

Another current battle area of mine is support for MFi controllers (which since iOS 7 is the standard for implementing controllers in games). So far, I haven't been too lucky. I'm using LibGDX and RoboVM to build for iOS, but it seems like while the controller support is theoretically implemented, it's not quite working for me. It could be my setup, which is a jailbroken iPad Mini 2, an app called "Controllers for all" and a PS3 controller... other games work well with this setup though... I'll hope to slay that beast soon, as playing with a controller immediately raises the fun level! Wink

In any case, is anybody interested in doing an iOS beta test? You'd just need an iOS device. I've just submitted a build to Apple and would like people to try it out and get some feedback! Smiley

edit: also, YAY, 100th post!  Beer!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:33:55 PM by maxl » Logged

Currently:

Released games: Nubs' Adventure | Rico
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »

Yeah!!!! It took a long time, but I can finally say: MFi controllers are working on iOS devices like iPad and iPhone!

Here's proof: https://vine.co/v/OlpavzHOi1I

An additional question for iOS gamers: do you require/need/want customizable button mappings? Or is there a semi-default mapping that most (all?) games do? Like button A for jump, button B for action, X and Y for minimap and pause?

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2015, 05:27:28 AM »

I can now say: Nubs' Adventure will be on iOS soon! I just submitted the build to Apple for review... I hope the review process will be pain-free  Beg

I'm now working on the Android-port to be able to release the two simultaneously.  Smiley

After that -> Desktop releases (Windows, Mac, Linux)  Beer!

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »

I... I'm done! Apple finally approved my latest build and Nubs' Adventure will be released on the 28th of May for iOS and Android. This is in two days!  Beer!

I'm torn between incredibly happy Grin and even more anxious Shocked as I hope there are no big bugs and people will enjoy it. (I'm also secretly hoping for an App Store feature, but I know I'm probably jinxing it... can't help it though Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right) Wish me luck! Smiley

PC release will follow...

Currently:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »

I... I'm done! Apple finally approved my latest build and Nubs' Adventure will be released on the 28th of May for iOS and Android. This is in two days!  Beer!

I'm torn between incredibly happy Grin and even more anxious Shocked as I hope there are no big bugs and people will enjoy it. (I'm also secretly hoping for an App Store feature, but I know I'm probably jinxing it... can't help it though Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right) Wish me luck! Smiley

What's the price going to be? Cant wait to check it out

Edit: saw the presskit. So you went with $4.99 from the get-go, rather than free with a game unlock?
Also, given that it's a metroidvania, do you get any upgrades to your boomerang or any other skills?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:30:45 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:18 AM »

I... I'm done! Apple finally approved my latest build and Nubs' Adventure will be released on the 28th of May for iOS and Android. This is in two days!  Beer!

Edit: saw the presskit. So you went with $4.99 from the get-go, rather than free with a game unlock?
Also, given that it's a metroidvania, do you get any upgrades to your boomerang or any other skills?
The game will be downloadable for free from the App Store and the Play Store. You can play a sizable chunk of the game for free and then decide if you want to spend money on it by unlocking the full game via a single In-App Purchase.  Hand Money Left

I thought long and hard about the price tag. I settled for 4.99$ as the initial price. Depending on what people say, I'll adjust it. I'm aware that this is a lot of money (relatively speaking) for a mobile game. But I think Nubs' Adventure is NOT the typical mobile game and I hope people will see past the price tag and appreciate the game.  Smiley

Currently:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:54 AM »

I thought long and hard about the price tag. I settled for 4.99$ as the initial price. Depending on what people say, I'll adjust it. I'm aware that this is a lot of money (relatively speaking) for a mobile game. But I think Nubs' Adventure is NOT the typical mobile game and I hope people will see past the price tag and appreciate the game.  Smiley
Really enjoyed Rico, so the game unlock will be an easy purchase

It's unfortunate that mobile has such a low pricing range.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »

Really enjoyed Rico, so the game unlock will be an easy purchase
Awesome! Smiley

It's unfortunate that mobile has such a low pricing range.
Yeah, it's pretty harsh in today's app stores. I tried to not give in to the temptation but sell the game at the price I think it is worth... that's why I wanted people to be able to play the game for free and THEN decide if it's worth their time/money. I'm hoping to fill a niche with Nubs' Adventure that people are willing to buy at a little bit higher price than the 0.99$ that's so prevalent in the app stores today... we'll see if it works out! Smiley

Currently:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2015, 03:34:29 AM »

Just started playing, one suggestion: could you add an option to move the controls around on the screen? I find the buttons way too spaced apart along the bottom of the screen; preferably I'd have B/A closer together on the right side and movement closer together on the left. It's more noticeable playing on iPad than on iPhone

For example, compare Swordigo's button placement to Nub's

Edit: also, when I try to purchase the game unlock, the game crashes
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:43:41 AM by Christian » Logged

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2015, 03:50:49 AM »

Hey!

I'm currently investigating the IAP issue. One person said it might be on Apple's side of things, but I'm not sure yet... Did you try unlocking from the main menu or in-game? I assume your internet connection is working?

As for the buttons: you can customize their width in the options menu reachable from the main menu! If the buttons are too big for your taste, you can shrink them Smiley

Currently:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2015, 04:13:44 AM »

Hey!

I'm currently investigating the IAP issue. One person said it might be on Apple's side of things, but I'm not sure yet... Did you try unlocking from the main menu or in-game? I assume your internet connection is working?

As for the buttons: you can customize their width in the options menu reachable from the main menu! If the buttons are too big for your taste, you can shrink them Smiley
It's not the size of the buttons, it's their spacing that I find uncomfortable. Idk, maybe it's just me. I'm playing on iPad

Like compare Sword of Xolan's layout to Nub's

Buttons are more compact, easier to reach IMO

As for the IAP, internet's working fine, and it happens when I try to purchase from the menu. Haven't tried in-game

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2015, 04:16:09 AM »

The "touchable" area of each button is actually far more than the round button itself! Try it out! Smiley

Currently:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2015, 09:58:28 AM »

Finally was able to purchase the unlock. I have to ask, Ive been playing for about an hour+, currently 9% in and just reached that literal paygate. How long would you say the game is?

Also any idea when the PC version will be available?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:09:34 AM by Christian » Logged

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2015, 10:28:14 AM »

Finally was able to purchase the unlock. I have to ask, Ive been playing for about an hour+, currently 9% in and just reached that literal paygate. How long would you say the game is?

Really glad the unlock worked now!  Beer! Lesson learned: it takes some time for IAPs to become available across the world. Who knew?  Roll Eyes

The completion percentage is based on how many gems you have collected. You've probably skipped a couple until the pay-gate already. You can get to around 25% completion without paying anything!  Smiley

How long the game takes to complete is VERY dependent on the playstyle. I could probably speedrun the game in 2-3 hours (I'm guessing), but a normal play will probably be around 5+ hours.

Currently:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »

Really glad the unlock worked now!  Beer! Lesson learned: it takes some time for IAPs to become available across the world. Who knew?  Roll Eyes

The completion percentage is based on how many gems you have collected. You've probably skipped a couple until the pay-gate already. You can get to around 25% completion without paying anything!  Smiley

How long the game takes to complete is VERY dependent on the playstyle. I could probably speedrun the game in 2-3 hours (I'm guessing), but a normal play will probably be around 5+ hours.
That's a nice amount of content!

And what about the PC release? I had posted about the game on another forum, and someone was curious about that

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »

...PC release...
Sorry, I totally forgot to write about that! My brain is probably burned out from the release stress  Yawn Tired Addicted

I can't yet give a date, but the PC version was developed equally to the mobile versions. From a development standpoint, the PC version is probably 99% finished, just a few minor things to fix. But I have had ZERO time to do anything distribution related. I've not done anything greenlight related for example. I've not even spend much time thinking about how I want to distribute it. So it's hard for me to give a release date just yet. I'm working on it, though! Smiley

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2015, 11:43:42 PM »

The awesome Mat Dwyer, who did the soundtrack for Nubs' Adventure (and every other bit you hear in the game), has released the soundtrack. Check it out if you like!  
Hand Point Right Hand Point Right Hand Point Right https://matdwyer.bandcamp.com/album/nubs-adventure-ost Hand Point Left Hand Point Left Hand Point Left

P.S. The IAP bug has been fixed on Monday, so giving me money Hand Money Left got easy! Wink

Currently:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic