Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411906 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58476 Members - Latest Member: animtim

June 09, 2024, 02:17:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsXCVB: The Desura Release. Arcade Rage Minigame
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: XCVB: The Desura Release. Arcade Rage Minigame  (Read 795 times)
makehimanoffer
Level 0

I make good games, I swear

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:53:32 AM »

Hey guys,
Just said I'd do a development log. Submitted my game for publishing on desura recently, got word back that they'd put it on. But at the moment I'm currently updating it for a better look and feel.
It's a free rage minigame with like 25 levels, which saves and has a level select screen.
In one way it sort of acts like a demo to it's successor Super XCVB which will be about 2.99 or so on Desura when released and be bigger, better, more consistent in design and prettier.

So, from the original jam version of XCVB (Newgrounds Game Jam 9) I have updated the following:
  • Removed The Obnoxious Animated Backgrounds which could cause seizures in those with photosensitive epilepsy
  • Added a means of saving. (after every level it will save. So if you close the game you can continue from where you left off, or start a new game.
  • I have also added in a link to my website, and possibly in a future update will have a link to buy super XCVB
  • I have updated the UI somewhat, but still need help with that, because it still sucks
  • Pause Screen added, will add a button to return to menu on it.

Then of course there's some visual improvements left to be done, maybe some buffer states, to be like: "If you like the mechanic of this, but want more, prettier, and better designed. Check out Super XCVB"

Also need to put in those credit blocks you see at the start of games. for xcvb studios, atomsmasha and maybe sneak in one for my friend who helped alot.

Anyways. I'm currently at about 70% because, other than visual and feature improvements, I can't justify adding more levels, for this free version. I do wish to put my best foot forward on Desura and get a bit of a following for Super XCVB. Which I can't wait to get out. (currently only at about 10-20% in terms of getting all the features, saves, window sizes and easy level creation done. And the base mechanics too. But hey, don't know when I should start marketing it.

Anyways, that's my devlog for XCVB the Desura Release. At 80% I'll hopefully be able to include a trailer.

cheers,
makehimanoffer
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:35:49 PM by makehimanoffer » Logged

Not everything you call a game is a game. We need new definitions. We need interactive experiences. Short Interactions. And Games. Otherwise I'll accidentally end up playing a 'not game' and bitch about it on the internet.
makehimanoffer
Level 0

I make good games, I swear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

Hey guys,
IT'S DONE!
It's up on Desura Now!!
Check it out here:
http://www.desura.com/games/xcvb

Anyways, I actually had quite a few issues as it turned out.
Saving apparently doesn't work through Desura for some reason though it works normally (think this might be a weird Adobe Air Issue). I had a problem where one level would not work.

Overall I got a nice number of downloads, some nice placement on Desura for the game and gained a little small following for Super XCVB.

Anyways overall it was great to have it looking the way it does.

It came out looking alot nicer than the Newgrounds Version. And I think was a good idea for what massive improvements can come in Super XCVB when it's not just my art, with improved collisions, juice and a commercially acceptable product (this isn't really, but it's definitely a good enough free game).

Just by changing the background, adding some gradual colour changes, cutting out the middle of the tiles and improving the camera. A huge difference was made.

The way I thought of it was: I was essentially making a game jam game into a free to play title.

I believe I succeeded in that with some of the additions I made. That being said I would have like to improve some of the UI stuff, but all that will come in time.

Next step is from Free To Play Title to commercial Game.

And so, Development went well since alot of it was making it an Adobe Air project, changing the art, adding a pause menu, adding a level select menu and adding some saving.

Pretty fun to do.
Cheers for reading,
David Ryan

PS. I get that the game looks easy, but you really have to try it to get how difficult and rewarding it is.

And so that concludes my dev logs for XCVB Desura Release. Next Up Super XCVB Dev Log #2

Not everything you call a game is a game. We need new definitions. We need interactive experiences. Short Interactions. And Games. Otherwise I'll accidentally end up playing a 'not game' and bitch about it on the internet.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic