Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:56:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHalfway
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 15337 times)
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 08:31:10 AM »

Wow  Who, Me?

Great GUI and I like how the level design and art means you don't really need a grid (though it might be useful to show stuff later) Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 07:35:03 AM »

Wow  Who, Me?

Great GUI and I like how the level design and art means you don't really need a grid (though it might be useful to show stuff later) Smiley

Thank you! (And thank you for blogging about it too!)

You're exactly right, the grid might be useful for certain statistical purposes. Not sure yet if and how we'd let the player make use of it!

Cheers,
Bach
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 07:40:02 AM »

This reminds me a bit of the interior levels of Red Alert 1 (

).

That (along with XCOM) was exactly the first thing I thought of too. I really like the look of this! The video's very crisp, and I particularly (although it is a tiny thing) like the animation where the options appear around your selected character.

farmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 09:23:05 AM »

Wow looking really fantastic, can't wait to play it. What are you using to develop this?

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »

You're exactly right, the grid might be useful for certain statistical purposes. Not sure yet if and how we'd let the player make use of it!
Perhaps only for stuff like pressing a key with the cursor over a unit, friendly or enemy, will show its movement/attack ranges etc Smiley
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:32:32 PM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 05:03:10 AM »

Perhaps only for stuff like pressing a key with the cursor over a unit, friendly or enemy, will show its movement/attack ranges etc Smiley

Good idea. We're definitely trying to keep the UI uncluttered by default. But optional stuff as such could work well and be a great addition.

Wow looking really fantastic, can't wait to play it. What are you using to develop this?

Cheers, we're using libgdx for this. We've also built our own in-house editor (which we will release with the game).
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 01:34:18 AM »

We put another video up on youtube. This time it's a timelapse showing how we build our levels. The editor & additional tools will be released with the game (or shortly thereafter) to allow anyone to build levels & campaigns:

Also I finally fixed some of the poly-line drawing, which now has nice little connections (before it was just overlapping quads -> ugly). Man, I tell you, this stuff was giving me a headache Sad

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:35:56 AM by bach » Logged
somin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 02:34:37 AM »

This looks really awesome Smiley looking forward to playing (and building levels) myself!

@sominklein      WIP Story Exploration Game      WIP Weltenformer      Done CLIMB
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »

What kind of enemy types are you planning on adding/how much enemy variety can we expect?
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »

Gorgeous project, especially the UI.
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »

This looks really awesome Smiley looking forward to playing (and building levels) myself!

Thank you Smiley

What kind of enemy types are you planning on adding/how much enemy variety can we expect?

There will be a handful of different enemy types for certain. Each enemy type will have some variations within (visible in the screenshots, they wear different clothes, etc.)

But really, the way we work is that we have a rough dead-line of when we want things finished and we'll keep producing content until we run out of time. Of course we have a "minimum" of what has to be there for release. We approached this game very iteratively.

Gorgeous project, especially the UI.

Cheers!

ShrackAttack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »

Sent you a pm Bach.  And I like I said earlier, this game is gorgeous.  You guys have done an awesome job.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »

Wow, this looks really good! The art direction is great, and as stated above, very cool UI.

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »

Shocked This game is crazy amazing looking. The artwork is gorgeous, and I love the cramped and organic feel of the level design.

I found this during a time where im prototyping some turn based strategy ideas of my own, and I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to do the movement range highlighting. Any tips from how you implemented it?

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 01:23:23 AM »

Sent you a pm Bach.  And I like I said earlier, this game is gorgeous.  You guys have done an awesome job.

Cheers, email reply sent Smiley

Wow, this looks really good! The art direction is great, and as stated above, very cool UI.

Thank you!

Shocked This game is crazy amazing looking. The artwork is gorgeous, and I love the cramped and organic feel of the level design.

I found this during a time where im prototyping some turn based strategy ideas of my own, and I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to do the movement range highlighting. Any tips from how you implemented it?

I don't think there really is a good trick to this, except brute force Smiley Ultimately you need to make sure that your character can actually walk there. I just define a "max-range" I know the character can walk (from his agility) and make sure all those tiles are actually valid walking targets.

The drawing is a bit trickier. I use an auto-tile algorithm to display the range. Have a look at this: http://www.saltgames.com/2010/a-bitwise-method-for-applying-tilemaps/

Once you have all tiles to be drawn you just apply an auto-tiling algo such as the above to it, to get a nicely drawn area. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:15:05 AM by bach » Logged
somin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 03:05:52 AM »

cool, thanks for the bitwise tilemap link. One of those things I didn't realize I might need in the future Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:45:48 AM by somin » Logged

@sominklein      WIP Story Exploration Game      WIP Weltenformer      Done CLIMB
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »

You guys got a article written over the game over at Rock Paper Shotgun, so you know. Cheers o the game, it looks great!

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

Just having some fun with one of the defence turrets in Halfway Smiley

CryingGhost
Level 0

gomennasai

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »

This video is REALLY cool.

Anyway this game looks awesome I can't wait to see more  Grin