Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:47:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHalfway
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 15336 times)
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 04:45:58 AM »

We just finished work on a new tileset, which is quite different to the rest we've shown so far:

Oh and for those interested in the soundtrack, have a listen to a preview we posted on our blog: Soundtrack Preview

Cheers,
Stefan
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 05:21:32 AM »

Is that off your ship or a holodeck training area  Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 05:54:02 AM »

Is that off your ship or a holodeck training area  Smiley

That'd be some pretty impressive holo deck Wink No, this is actually part of a sort of "prequel" to the actual game's story.
mes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 09:19:15 PM »

looking good bach Grin

how are you guys planning to keep the tactical gameplay interesting over the course of the game? i think the old jsrpgs did this especially well with their wealth of classes and abilities.
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »

looking good bach Grin

how are you guys planning to keep the tactical gameplay interesting over the course of the game? i think the old jsrpgs did this especially well with their wealth of classes and abilities.

Thanks man Smiley

Each character is unique in his abilities (though some will overlap), but there are no fixed classes as such. So as the game progresses you'll find new characters on the ship, and those characters in turn will unlock more abilities as they level up. There are also weapons, items & enemies to keep the tactical elements interesting over the course of the game!
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »

I spent a few hours last night and today implementing dynamic shadows in Halfway. Surprised at how nice the results are:

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »

Wow this looks amazing and not only that, it looks fun to play. Smiley

How'd you pull off the dynamic shadows?!

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »

We just finished work on a new tileset, which is quite different to the rest we've shown so far:

I did not realize this game had a devlog on these forums. Nice!

And wow, is that a Bad Blood tileset?

But ok, if there is no strategic sandbox gameplay like X-Com, the most important question becomes: Will there be multiplayer?

(Sidenote: It's been years since I've stopped caring about storylines in games, and I've even begun to skip cut-scenes. I feel like I don't have time for stories and in that case I'd rather read a book. I just want to get to the gameplay, but perhaps that's just me.)

BigDaveisCheap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »

I just featured Halfway in my new series DevLogged! Check it out if you'd like.

Really looking forward to Halfway, very excited.

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »

I just featured Halfway in my new series DevLogged! Check it out if you'd like.

Really looking forward to Halfway, very excited.

Hey,

I somehow missed this Sad Thanks so much for covering us there, it's really appreciated! Feel free to get in touch any time.

Bach
AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »

2D X-COM? sign me in! Look rad, love the player "menus" to take actions. Pretty intuitive.

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2013, 05:03:45 AM »

Hey everyone,

Some new material to look at! We published another gameplay video with our chatter yesterday, we've made lots of progress and changes since the last time. Reason enough to push the progress up to 60% (!!) So if you feel like seeing 13-minutes of raw gameplay footage with our bantering on top, this is for you Smiley

And here's a recent ingame screenshot:

(click to see full size)

Lots more coming soon Smiley
Stefan
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2013, 05:23:24 AM »

Hey, what happened to those neat radial menus?

Did you miss the praise you got for "very well done UI", "gorgeous UI" and "great GUI"?

This UI might be... less confusing, I guess... but the old UI fit into the game. This new UI feels like it emphasizes its different pixel size more which makes it look like it doesn't belong. Its overall less friendly looking and less aesthetically pleasing.

But more worryingly, I think it makes the gameplay look more boring, taking the focus away from the action and into many menus with lots of text reading of numbers and percentages. Before, I believe you had a big pie chart that you could see at a glance if it was a good move or not, and symbols for the moves, and all of these were positioned smack in the middle of it all. Now, a lot of things seem to happen in the corner of the screen, away from the interesting stuff and it feels like I'm looking up a table in an Excel spreadsheet every time I make a move.

Sorry, but this thing needs to be put down before it can make any more damage, imo.  Ninja Hand Knife Right
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:58:02 AM by eobet » Logged

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »

Looks good, though sometimes LOS seems odd. Like things that seem like they should block weapon fire don't seem to.

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »

Hey, what happened to those neat radial menus?

Did you miss the praise you got for "very well done UI", "gorgeous UI" and "great GUI"?

This UI might be... less confusing, I guess... but the old UI fit into the game. This new UI feels like it emphasizes its different pixel size more which makes it look like it doesn't belong. Its overall less friendly looking and less aesthetically pleasing.

But more worryingly, I think it makes the gameplay look more boring, taking the focus away from the action and into many menus with lots of text reading of numbers and percentages. Before, I believe you had a big pie chart that you could see at a glance if it was a good move or not, and symbols for the moves, and all of these were positioned smack in the middle of it all. Now, a lot of things seem to happen in the corner of the screen, away from the interesting stuff and it feels like I'm looking up a table in an Excel spreadsheet every time I make a move.

Sorry, but this thing needs to be put down before it can make any more damage, imo.  Ninja Hand Knife Right

Hehe, put the knife away Wink

Well, to be honest, we're not exactly happy with the UI either. But the radial menu had to go for a lot of reasons. While it was a nice visual effect and we really really liked it, it was also completely impossible to extend and adapt to the needs of the game. It was also not intuitive to use at all because it requires you to have view on the character to do anything at all. We spent WAY too much time trying to make our game's design decisions work with the radial menu, but had to give up and reconsider because it was quite frankly a fruitless effort. We can't have the UI influence our design decisions purely because it looked cool. Trust me it wasn't an easy call  Cry

So, we are a small team and we have limited resources - what are we to do? We do what we can to create something that will work with our game and not hinder our design decisions. The current UI is just that, it allows us complete freedom to do what we want while loosing the "coolness" factor. But having to choose between the two I'd always choose flexibility and function over form.

Finally, the game isn't finished. The UI isn't finished. Give us the benefit of the doubt that we will make it work and do what's best for the game!

Also, thanks for caring Smiley
Bach

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »

I just read about this game in a dutch magazine!, funny to see it on TIG afterwards

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »

I just read about this game in a dutch magazine!, funny to see it on TIG afterwards

Oh?! What magazine? Would you mind getting us a scan of the article? Smiley

Thanks!
Bach
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »

We've been lucky to get to work with Thomas on the intro/outro for Halfway. Here's a preview of the intro:

(click for full size)
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »

We've been lucky to get to work with Thomas on the intro/outro for Halfway. Here's a preview of the intro:

(click for full size)

Addicted....Oh the pixels....Oh the glorious pixels. That looks amazing.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »

Oh, following, yes. This is so fine looking.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic