Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:40:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHalfway
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 15380 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »

Yep. That'll do nicely!

How many are working on it? Seems like an awful lot covered in such a small amount of time!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
AlphaPlus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »

lol, necropost much.

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »

Well the game was on Screenshot Saturday this week so at least its still being worked on! I'm excited for it Smiley

TinyKeep is now on Steam!
@phi6
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »

lol, necropost much.

Ah yeah, I hadn't noticed! Like @phi6 said, I arrived here via Screenshot Saturday, read the first page and posted. I'm sure they're just nous sprint or something ;-)

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 02:59:19 AM »

Hey!

Yea we are most definitely still working on this Smiley Sorry we've been a bit quiet, but we needed to just hide away in our caves and get to it.

Yep. That'll do nicely!

How many are working on it? Seems like an awful lot covered in such a small amount of time!
We're 2 guys working on it full-time (one coder, one artist), plus another artist doing characters for us and a composer/sound guy for the rest. Smiley

Bach
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 03:49:12 AM »

can I ask how do you handle things in your engine? Sorry, it's a tad generic of a question, I'll be more specific.

is the engine 3d or 2d? It looks very much 2d, but then those dynamics lights would make you think otherwise... the props on the map casting very 3d-ish looking shadows and all.

I'm leaning towards thinking it's an hybrid approach, or maybe a very clever trick. It would be very nice of you to shed some light (pun totally intended) on your approach. If that's at all possible ofc!

Thanks and sorry for the messed up and poorly worded question (only slept a few hours tonight  Yawn)

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 03:54:00 AM »

Yea we are most definitely still working on this Smiley Sorry we've been a bit quiet, but we needed to just hide away in our caves and get to it.

[snip]

We're 2 guys working on it full-time (one coder, one artist), plus another artist doing characters for us and a composer/sound guy for the rest. Smiley

That's pretty cool, just checked out your latest blog post; I must say that even with the unforeseen work it's still an epic achievement for such a short amount of time!

can I ask how do you handle things in your engine? Sorry, it's a tad generic of a question, I'll be more specific.

is the engine 3d or 2d? It looks very much 2d, but then those dynamics lights would make you think otherwise... the props on the map casting very 3d-ish looking shadows and all.

There's a

a few posts back of the level editor that should shed some light

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2014, 04:04:48 AM »

Yeah, it's definitely tile-based, and yet those dynamic lights

Beg

It looks similar to the 2d box projection method, although if that really is how the dynamic lighting is implemented, then I'm genuinely impressed.

I'd like to know a tad more about the specifics, that's what I was trying to ask specifically.

phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 05:12:29 AM »

I think they want to keep the technique secret Sad

@phi6
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2014, 05:20:03 AM »

Looks like there's a shadow texture per item and the position and rotation of the shadow shape are effected by the nearest light source position, can't imagine you'd want to go much more complex than that unless shadow effects the gameplay... It does sure look pretty though..

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2014, 07:31:34 AM »

Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't see these questions Smiley Well, truth be told - we abandoned the dynamic shadows for now. There are a few situations where we simply couldn't make them look good. But knifeySpoonie pretty much nailed it. Except that we allowed multiple light sources to cast shadows and the distance makes the shadow more/less intense. Also shadows are slightly differently drawn than normal sprites (we use a shader to emulate the "mulitply" blend mode you might get in PS for example - which is different to the standard "multiplication" blending in OpenGl).

Feel free to ask away if you have any other questions, no secrets here Smiley

Oh here's animated gif scene from one of the home bases:

Cheers!
Bach
BigDaveisCheap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »

Halfway was released!

Grab it on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/253150/

They are feverishly working to squash post-launch bugs so I thought I'd do them a solid and mention the release here. I'm about 4 hours in and I'm really enjoying it so far.

phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »

WTF really that was a silent release!

@phi6
Vaxx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »

Wot I Think: Halfway

Halfway got some RPS love. Still a great game and I totally dig the GFX.Hand Thumbs Up Left
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic