Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:07:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallList of free ways to make games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: List of free ways to make games  (Read 732 times)
Brick
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »

I'm trying to make a list of websites that help people make games for free ("free" being the keyword). By "help people make games" I mean everything from learning how to make games, team-building, making the game, and sharing the game. This is it so far.

Right now the list is humorously small. Does anyone know any other websites that would be good to add?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:46:59 PM by Brick » Logged
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »

Kongregate is another way to share your games(in terms of sites that are dedicated towards that). In terms of Art and Animation I think you should add Sproxel to the list (I'm using it for my project) and its a fast, light-weight, and open-source voxel sprite editor. I'm not sure if Game-Maker or Construct qualify as game engines, but I think you should have them on there as well.

You should also add a list of forums or communities to your list... and maybe to top it off a list of places that hold frequent game jams... but you might just want to link users to compohub.net for that.

I think Google is kind of a given in terms of researching a programming problem or technique so it's kind of useless and redundant to list it there.
Brick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »

Kongregate is another way to share your games(in terms of sites that are dedicated towards that). In terms of Art and Animation I think you should add Sproxel to the list (I'm using it for my project) and its a fast, light-weight, and open-source voxel sprite editor. I'm not sure if Game-Maker or Construct qualify as game engines, but I think you should have them on there as well.

You should also add a list of forums or communities to your list... and maybe to top it off a list of places that hold frequent game jams... but you might just want to link users to compohub.net for that.

I think Google is kind of a given in terms of researching a programming problem or technique so it's kind of useless and redundant to list it there.

Thanks for all your help! I added the links and referenced you. Smiley I plan on making a different post later for game developer communities/competitions. As for the part about Google that was my attempt at humor Tongue Now that there's a bunch of other links to take its place I removed it.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »

Thanks for all your help! I added the links and referenced you. Smiley I plan on making a different post later for game developer communities/competitions. As for the part about Google that was my attempt at humor Tongue Now that there's a bunch of other links to take its place I removed it.

Hey no problem. Just one more comment... the url linking to the list in your original post is broken so make sure that you insert the hyperlink like so:

"test"
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:04:15 PM by Code_Assassin » Logged
Brick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »

Fixed, thanks! Smiley
Merced
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »

Good idea :-)

You can add Dark Basic Pro to the engines, as that is also available as a free version (I think it's ad-supported but I haven't tried the free version).

It's a bit dated but still a good tool I think.

Link

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »

no list is complete without the open source classics:

SDL
Box2D
Bullet Physics
Unofficial OpenGl SDK

don't expect to get quick results with this set  Giggle and definitely not for those who refuse to program  No No NO  for all others  Beer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic