Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:58:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSilicon Knights sues Epic Games over Unreal Engine
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Silicon Knights sues Epic Games over Unreal Engine  (Read 11608 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 10:58:53 AM »

Right, but I'm the one having a fit because people are dicks, so I assume it must be directed at me. Smiley

And yeah, the combat system was shit.

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 11:00:46 AM »

Well, you're the Global Moderator, and you curse and can be pretty salty in your posts.  I don't really care, it seems like that just sorta how these forums are.

As for the lawsuit, if Epic was under contract to deliver the U3 engine and they were late, it seems like it's a pretty straight forward "breech of contract" lawsuit.  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Dannobot on Twitter
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 11:01:23 AM »

I'm *a* moderator, and yeah, people on this forum swear.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 11:02:33 AM »

What aggravates me in this situation is I can really relate to SK. They're trying to make something that's important to them, and its been fucked over numerous times.

I guess to me they still seem like a small team. It helps that I actually like their games, unlike a lot of people I suppose.

When someone dismisses all that hard work, and striving and effort, that to me seems like it was done with noble ambitions, it seems really uncaring when coming from a fellow developer.

OK. Well, we all love games. Like I said, I feel sorry for the people working on it as it's obviously (to my eyes) a real ball ache working on it. I've worked on shitty games, and I wanted them to be good, but that just wasn't possible. And so the games got a panning, that's OK. So, the game looks like a turd to me, I feel sorry for the guys working on it (including Dyack) and I'm really sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities, but that's the way it is.

It's possible they'll turn it around; I hope they do.

But hey, I can take a hint too.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »

Naw dude, you're entitled to your opinion. But if you're going to stomp all over something, don't be surprised if someone stomps back a bit.

Its more the combined asshole-ness of humanity that is getting me down.

As for taking a hint, I can tell when people are fed up with talking and I should just bow to their opinion so that people don't start hating me too much.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »

My first post was really aggressive, I can see that now. That doesn't mean that personally I'm not up for a debate - for instance I've already retracted my plot accusations due to reasoned debate.

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »

As for taking a hint, I can tell when people are fed up with talking and I should just bow to their opinion so that people don't start hating me too much.
Naw, don't be like that, dude.  If someone feels the need to chime in with "Too Human looked like shit at E3", and the original article says "Too Human looked like shit at E3 because of reasons A,B, and C" you don't have to call him an asshole.  You could just assume he didn't bother to read the article and say something like "Did you read the article?  It says Too Human looked like shit because Epic delivered the U3 engine late, and that's why they're suing them."

Dannobot on Twitter
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 11:25:43 AM »

Naw, people have already made up their minds, and its cool. Discussing it is really pointless and useless.

Its not the opinion I care about, its just how people jump on something and rip it to shreds without examining it first. It happens all the time, everyone does it, and its sad. People don't give things a fair chance.

But whatever. I'm going to stop talking about that, because people will just say I'm too emo/whiny/PMS etc.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 11:48:01 AM »

"You are the cybernetic gold Baldur and you have to repel the invasion of technological machines or some shit."
I don't know about the actual game and it might be shit but could buy this game on the pitch alone.

I sort of agree that there is anecdotal evidence that Epic got all sorts of praise for GOW and that all other teams are struggling with their UE3 licensed engine, but on  the other hand, SK claims are completely LUDICROUS.
Will be fun to watch.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »

Seems like a really stupid move, especially if they have to port the game to another engine and delay it for another year, even if they were treated unfairly.

Almost wonder if its a delay tactic, something to give them more time to finish, while trying to get a bunch of attention.

Either way, doesn't really make sense.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 01:02:53 PM »

I'd sure like to play Too Human, but at the same time it's been in development for nearly half my natural lifetime.

Zaphos
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 08:34:25 PM »

Naw, don't be like that, dude.  If someone feels the need to chime in with "Too Human looked like shit at E3", and the original article says "Too Human looked like shit at E3 because of reasons A,B, and C" you don't have to call him an asshole.  You could just assume he didn't bother to read the article and say something like "Did you read the article?  It says Too Human looked like shit because Epic delivered the U3 engine late, and that's why they're suing them."
Well, Too Human looked bad at E3 2006, which was addressed in the article, but it also looked bad (to haowan) at E3 2007, which was not addressed in the article.  Actually, that trailer looked pretty bad to me, too -- very weak writing and directing.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 01:02:25 AM »

Ah, turns out they've been developing their own engine since May 2006, so I guess this might not affect the release date.

Outer God
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 03:44:11 AM »

ah, gotta love giant mecha things.  for some reason, mecha are growing on me  :D  the trailer does need better direction though, particularly in the action sequences.  anyway, i'm all for gameplay.

they named him Baldur after the norse god of peace and joy...for those that were wondering.  maybe that part was obvious.
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 05:19:31 AM »

Well... okish cinematics, but what really matters is the gameplay :-). Blood 1, one of my favourite shooters, had awful cinematics but the game ruled. The same applies to more recent shooters, such as Serious Sam 2 (although they were extremely funny) and Painkiller (never understood what happens - but then again, never really cared about that :-P).

~bs~
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 05:58:47 AM »

I thought it looked alright, up until the fight scene. His weapons he used were so dumb looking, and the fighting just wasnt really that cool.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 07:48:50 AM »

IMNSHO, I was strongly encouraged by Too Human until Dyack's little temper tantrum about the coverage the game got at E3.

It looked bad. Sure, the mechanics, the depth, and the story might be super excellent, but you can't tell these things on the show floor. You can really only tell from the demo provided.

I'm discouraged by seeing that E3 brought up again in this lawsuit; it just reeks of sour grapes.

Is it hard to take that level of criticism from the games media? Yeah. Do you then have to give thirty-odd interviews to the press swearing up and down about how E3 is awful and how it must be destroyed? Of course not. Because now you're whining about something you had no direct control over instead of making your game better.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 08:25:32 AM by ravuya » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 09:05:52 AM »

Do you then have to give thirty-odd interviews to the press swearing up and down about how E3 is awful and how it must be destroyed?

You have to if you want to be AWESOME.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2007, 09:14:40 AM »

Oh well, the person who supervised the trailer probably thinks that MATRIX IS THE BEST MOVIE IN THE WORLD.
They should call this game Too Stupid.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ssfsx17
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 11:44:11 AM »

Has there ever been a game that took forever to make that actually turned out good? I mean, I remember how long 3D-Realms had been working on Prey, back in the days when websites with frames were considered cutting-edge web design.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic