Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:57:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioOrchestral or chiptune with retro visuals
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Orchestral or chiptune with retro visuals  (Read 946 times)
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2013, 04:27:09 AM »

I'm having the hardest time to decide what kind of music I want in my game. The game is an action-RPG with a very "retro" / NES / 8-bit feel to it so I think the obvious choice would be to go with chip music and sound, but now I'm wondering if an orchestral score with chip sound effects would work just as good (or better?). I'm also considering to include a couple of voice effects in the game, either in a lo-fi style as in the original Street Fighter or more hi-fi as in, let's say, Power Stone.

I know there are "rules" regarding pixel art, where mixing resolutions is frowned upon. Is there something similar when it comes to audio?

So the questions are:

1) When I have retro-pixel-art visuals, should I stick with "lo-fi" sound & music?
2) What is the general opinion on mixing chip sound effects with orchestral music, or vice versa?
3) Are there even any rules? Should I just go with what works the best and get out of here?

Thanks.

GavinHarrisonSounds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:32:47 AM »

Hey,

There is nothing wrong at all with mixing orchestral music with a chiptune / retro style and feel, in fact I've just done this exact thing with Orangepixel's recent game Heroes of Loot.  So I'd say go with what ever sounds best!

Gavin.

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 05:04:06 AM »

Ah yes, I've followed that game leading up to release. I checked out your demoreel, some great music there!

Thanks for the comment!

GavinHarrisonSounds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 05:22:31 AM »

No problem and all the best with the game, hope you find the solution you want...really like the visual style!

FelixArifin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:35:15 AM »

Woah! Your game looks great. :D

I think having a more simple sound will compliment the game more, but there have been instances of orchestral stuff working together with 8-bit sounds for games before. Have you considered trying to compare the two?

Like, get one 8-bit song and get another 8-bit + orchestral song and playing the game with it, seeing which works best?

That's what I'd try out.

Good luck!

Felix

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:55:14 AM »

Thanks for the kind words.

@FelixArifin yeah I already did that quickly but I'll get a proper song and put it into the game for more testing.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic