Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:18:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)submit pixel art for a picross (puzzle) game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: submit pixel art for a picross (puzzle) game  (Read 5544 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »

OK, this thread might belong in the Projects forum, but that's sort of just the Indie Brawl forum, and this topic is specifically about art (at least for now), so here seemed right.

So Picross DS is one of those game I'll go back to every once and awhile (ultimate bus ride game), and I got to thinking that a PC Picross game would be sweet.  For those that don't know what Picross is, here's the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picross  So it's basically an intuitive puzzle game where you get pixel art for solving the puzzle!  Kiss  To me, Picross is what Sudoku would be like if it didn't suck, and just reward you with a grid of numbers (stupid Sudoku!  So unsatisfying).

Creating a Picross puzzle out of a piece of pixel art is quite easy, and I think even just creating a piece of pixel art is much easier than setting up some other kind of complex puzzle.  Basically, this is the perfect game for TIGers to all contribute to, and enjoy when released.

So, please post your pixel art in this thread, and keep it to these grid sizes (paint directly up to at least a few edges of the grid, or else you're making it way easier for it's grid range):

5x5 (don't need many of these; basically just for new players to understand the basics)
10x10 (a good novice size, lots of these would be nice.)
15x15 (I love these!  There's some really nice "rules" that fit with them; I'd say intermediate level; lots of these would be good.)
25x25 (definitely expert, and though I've solved a couple, I'm not exactly good, or fast, when it comes to solving them)

Well, I'm really looking forward to what everyone has to offer (TIGers being notorious for their glorious pixelin' skills)!  Beer!

Oh, and all things that make it into the game will be credited, in a very long credits, of course!  (Unless I just cheap out and say something to the effect of "All art created by the wonderful community at TIGForums!" and link to this thread.)

EDIT: To quickly answer the vital first comment about colour: you'll solve the puzzle in black and white, so a black and white image should be readable, but once solved you'll get a colour (and if you guys feel like it, animated) "victory image" like on Picross DS.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:56:12 PM by architekt » Logged
Mush
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »

(paint directly up to at least a few edges of the grid, or else you're making it way easier for it's grid range)
What do you mean by that?

Also do the pictures have to be black and white or can we use colors?

I'd be glad to make some eitherway.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:54:39 PM »

Oh, should have specified that: B/W, but do it in colour anyway for the "victory image."  Beer!

What I mean by the grid thing is that if you leave a 1 pixel border around a drawing on a 10x10 image, then the player has just solved 4 lines of the puzzle right off the bat.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »

How do you want them submitted? Should it be an image file, bitmap, possibly tiger paint?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »

Just submit it anyway you like on this thread, and I'll figure it all out when I make the game in a month (I figure it won't take much to make, and I'll be on break from university then).
Seth
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »

i'm only submitting 15x15 black and white hentai
Radial
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 08:39:25 PM »

yay picross hentai
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »

Picross DS is my most played DS game.
Even more than MarioKart or Pokemon Diamond.
I luuuuuuuuuuuuurve me some picross.
Too bad I'm shit at art.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 08:54:20 PM »

Um, I don't know about the hentai part; "hey, I can't do that, this is a family game."

OK, that was a question.  Tell me the game, what command was used on what, and you win!  Beer!
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 12:51:44 AM »

Aren't there a million of nonogram videogames around, though? Have you played the Game Boy and SNES Picross, also?

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:37:25 AM »

I played Mario Super Picross on an SNES emulator.

The-Imp
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 04:28:56 AM »

You clever sonofagun.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:31:20 AM »

wat
Mind posting a template, at least?  Undecided I doubt that you just want them solid squares.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Tennis
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 07:10:06 AM »

you need to make sure the puzzles are solvable though, so any image wont just do.
you can find lots of programs out there, that will check your image, i used one some time ago, i think it was called "griddler".

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »

So, I, uh, just got picross and hang on gotta finish this.

Pretty cool. Shame I'm not a very good pixel artist.

NO. NEVER.

Oooh, TIGstick:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:00:31 PM by Cheater » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 08:34:49 PM »

you need to make sure the puzzles are solvable though, so any image wont just do.
you can find lots of programs out there, that will check your image, i used one some time ago, i think it was called "griddler".

Thanks!  I'll look into that (and I wasn't sure how big a problem that would be, so thanks for clearing that up).

@ Cheater: TIG Stick will definitely be included!

Aren't there a million of nonogram videogames around, though? Have you played the Game Boy and SNES Picross, also?
Yes there are, but wouldn't it be nice to have one sitting around on your PC?  Sort of like how people (gamers and non-gamers alike) get random Minesweeper cravings?
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »

You know what would be really nice? If it downloaded new puzzles from an rss feed. So you boot it up and there's 100 new pictures to solve.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 09:00:36 PM »

I'm not denying the awesomeness in that, but I have no idea how I'd implement that.  I do want the game to allow new level packs to be installed though.  Well see how it all works out; I've got three weeks of December to attempt this, but realistically I may only have a demo/beta done then, as I've got piles of other things that I want to do in my precious time back home (and away from the rigours of an architectural education).  That said, this project will happen, I just can't guarantee when it'll be done.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »

I'd love to have it just like Picross DS, with a level editor and whatnot, all as a freeware program. Sadly, everything like this is shareware or flash.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »

I'd love to have it just like Picross DS, with a level editor and whatnot, all as a freeware program. Sadly, everything like this is shareware or flash.
I'm totally on the same page as you, and that's why I started this thread (as I'll need lots of pixels to make this game happen).  Really, were it not for the dominance of Indie Brawl I'd like to make this game a community project, but yeah, most GM people are putting their efforts into Indie Brawl.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic