Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:26:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How was collision detection done in Diablo 2 / Starcraft 1?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How was collision detection done in Diablo 2 / Starcraft 1?  (Read 2151 times)
woodenrabbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »

Does anyone know how collision detection was done for 2D games like Diablo 2 and Starcraft 1?

I'm looking to make a 2D game that would have a similar level of freedom of motion for the characters.

Any information you guys might have that would point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:37:12 AM »

StarCraft's collision detection was grid-based. there's some discussion of it in this article (in the section "How did we get here?").

That's just the scenery of course, you also need to detect collisions between moving objects, but that's no easier or harder than any other game. You either use the naive method of checking all possible pairs of objects or - if that turns out to be too slow - you can maintain a grid of zones and only check objects from zones you're in plus adjacent zones.

woodenrabbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »

Thanks bateleur!

That is exactly the kind of direction I was hoping for. So its clear that the games used a grid base system for the movement collision detection, but I wonder how they handled collision detection for the attacks.

I suppose its entirely possible that they used some combination of grid based collision detection and traditional overlapping pixels/bounding boxes.

Thanks again bateleur for the reply!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic