Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:43:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTIE - A Game About Depression
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: TIE - A Game About Depression  (Read 27330 times)
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 08:26:03 AM »

The goal with the mouse was to essentially make it easier for the player to bond and relate to the character on-screen. There wasn't anything wrong with the control's, I just felt it easier for the player to use the mouse for everything, so that they can spend less time fiddling with controls and more time in the world I am crafting.

So far, TIE's devlopment has been an emotional roller-coaster. The mere idea of the game came from my own life experiences and feelings about things. So as far as bonding between the player and character, I want you to be depressed when you play this. I want you to feel every bit of simulated hurt that is carelessly tossed his direction. Every aspect of the game conveys this, whether is be the worlds color palette, the music composed for it, or simply by the way other characters react to your presence and vice versa.

It's a deeply personal project that has a lot of meaning for me, meaning which I intend to pass onto the players.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:29:41 AM by TonyNowak » Logged
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »

Looks excellent. Very important subject matter. Far more interesting than just killing enemies.

railslavegames
Level 1

Uncompromised

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »

looks like the making of something very special... that music is beautiful..be worth it just for that 

Bret Hudson
Level 0

Game & Web Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 05:21:13 PM »

The goal with the mouse was to essentially make it easier for the player to bond and relate to the character on-screen. There wasn't anything wrong with the control's, I just felt it easier for the player to use the mouse for everything, so that they can spend less time fiddling with controls and more time in the world I am crafting.

So far, TIE has been an emotional roller-coaster. The mere idea of the game came from my own life experiences and feelings about things. TIE is the thing I want too do but can't bring myself to do because I don't have the spine too do it. So as far as bonding between the player and character, I want you to be depressed when you play this. I want you to feel every bit of simulated hurt that is carelessly tossed his direction. Every aspect of the game conveys this, whether is be the worlds color palette, the music composed for it, or simply by the way other characters react to your presence and vice versa.

It's a deeply personal project that has a lot of meaning for me, meaning which I intend to pass onto the players.

I'm glad that it does feel like you're bonding with the character. Most point and click games I've played (I haven't played a whole lot of them because of this) feel like you're instructing the character, rather than playing as him/her. You notify them of what to do. Give them a task, rather than actually do that action. It's probably just personal preference, and I hope that this game hits home with me, because it seems like a project I'd be interested in.

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »

Well it is a a game about depression, or more my kind of depression, but I think it should hit home with a lot of people, and if not at least appreciate it. Smiley
S16VATR
Level 0

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »

peopl play games to get away from their shity lives no oen heres guna play dis
railslavegames
Level 1

Uncompromised

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 01:54:27 AM »

That depends on what you see games as, entertainment or art.

AutoReiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 02:28:20 AM »

I really like this kind of games ("notgames"). They entertain other parts of our intellect, and provide an opportunity for insight and reflection into our lives, rather than a distraction away from them.

You might wanna check out Moleindustria, and specifically their game Every day the same dream (2009). It has a similar visual style and perhaps aspiration too. The ending is a bit weird, though it does spark some questions, but it is the rest of the game and the way it utilizes it's mechanics to formulate a critique of sorts that I find interesting.
It might provide some inspiration.

Best of wishes with the game!

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »

I look at games as art. I put more of myself and my insecurities into it more than everything else. I think it is visible in most of my work and past projects. From the colors or the over-all mood.

FAR

This is a project I have on the side that I want to eventually finish, it's my biggest and most ambitious project.

It was two-dimensional when I started it over a year ago.

THE DEEP

This is another side project, much smaller and game-like.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:36:04 PM by TonyNowak » Logged
railslavegames
Level 1

Uncompromised

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »

dammit, how do you do it , that art, its so simple, but so profound!!

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

It's the mood man, the mood. Smiley
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 12:53:31 AM »

Offices and depression just go together, and the art looks nice Smiley

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »

Dabbling about with the outdoor settings some. Completley wip.
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »

Some very work in progress outdoors stuff.
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »

My plans for the bus stop as of now. I want a more sinister looking bus station, so I added the neon red "BUS" sign atop the station, it's letter's will occasionally flicker or produce sparks. There is a streetlight to the right, which light shines down on the pavement, it's light will occasionally dim and flies will fly around underneath it. Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:13:58 PM by TonyNowak » Logged
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »

Recently I've gotten a lot of questions about my art style and how I go about creating said art for my games. I decided this morning I'd put together a type of art asset overview. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:36:52 PM by TonyNowak » Logged
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »

BIG NEWS!

So, today I added in a main menu for TIE, and also wrote up some much needed transition effects in between level loading. I also have a new song from our soundtrack to share with you all.

And the moment I dread...here's a build for all of you.

Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lbivhcy5s0zl0a/TIE%20v1.02.zip
Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p69xhuq1u0b6vaq/TIE%20v1.02%20Mac.zip

Yes I know there is no collision, yes I know the left mouse button does not work, and yes I know about the alpha issues, nobody has done more play testing than me. Only the house is really 'playable' due to no other art assets being done, however, the code is for the most part done, for the whole game...just gotta find some motivation to make the art.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:31:07 PM by TonyNowak » Logged
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2013, 10:34:22 PM »

railslavegames
Level 1

Uncompromised

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »

Oh wow, that city , the sense of scale, the color gradient, love it all :D

This is something very special in the making

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »

So I have some pretty big news to share with you guys and that news is that TIE now has a home! Check it out below.

TIE - a game about depression

The new screenshots (which debut on the blog) show off the new additive lighting system. The light "flares" change in both size and opacity when you approach them, and offset themselves based on the cameras offset when it move's behind the player.  However, for your convenience, they are here too.

There is also more new music coming very soon, keep an eye out and enjoy! Oh, and this might make a lot of people (who played the standalone) very happy. The additive lighting is not implemented in this screenshot as it is quite dated.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:37:34 PM by TonyNowak » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic