Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:29:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsChain Jam - 4 Player indie mario party
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chain Jam - 4 Player indie mario party  (Read 4188 times)
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2013, 04:58:07 AM »

http://www.chainjam.com/

From the site:
A three day online game jam, for 4 player games. The games will all be bundled into one big list. When the games are done and combined, players will get a sequence of mini-games that were made during the jam, with scores accumulating through the mini-games.

You make the games, minigames or levels. We’ll make the Chain Game, that binds them all together.

After the jam, the collective commits itself to promoting it, and taking your games on tour. It will be free forever, and we will credit all the game creators as much as possible for their work. The Chain Game will just be an interface that selects the games and keeps score.

SO!

You can make a small 4 player game, that will get bundled with a bunch of other 4 player games, and taken on tour and shown in exhibits. Seems great to me!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:32:18 AM by jonbro » Logged

ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »

This sounds really cool.

I'm a little worried that they won't support HTML5 by Jam time though, it looks like they're still working on it.

I wonder how they're planning on persisting a game score... probably through a db on the backend? I think it would have been cool to have a wrapper game that seamlessly transitions between games (with animations), but I'm don't think that'd be possible with the mixed technology games.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »

I think they are going to persist over javascript, and load in the different games into iframes or something like this. I am pretty sure it will support html 5 by jam time, but can't speak for it directly.

The part where they are going to put it in arcade machines is real, and a real good reason to do this. They have already made several arcade machines to bring around, and have shown them at a bunch of game festivals and indie game things.

ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »

Yep, if they support HTML5, I'll try to participate.

I look forward to seeing so many games in the same color scheme, that's a really good idea on their part.

paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »

This is a cool idea, but crappy timing. I'm committed to something else next week. Might see if I can make something in a few hours though...
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 05:32:01 AM »

full website is up: http://www.chainjam.com/

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 04:19:48 AM »

Corny Laugh

two roughs down, working on the third, and have artist cranking on art for one of them.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »

Cool concept. It's a shame it's strictly for four players, though. It'll be hard for me to find a situation where I have exactly that many. Maybe you can consider expanding the concept so that people can offer versions of their games for two to four people and the chainjam system thing will sort them based on how many players you have.

Putting this online with no downloadable, at least, means that I have maximum opportunities to make this work. Good choice on that.

Also, the word you mean on your website is "Katamari".
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:41:14 AM »

Cool concept. It's a shame it's strictly for four players, though. It'll be hard for me to find a situation where I have exactly that many. Maybe you can consider expanding the concept so that people can offer versions of their games for two to four people and the chainjam system thing will sort them based on how many players you have.
Oh, this is a great idea. There's something special about 4 player but no reason why 2/3 can't be supported either. I'm sure the chainjam code can be updated but getting the various authors to retroactively fit it into their already uploaded games would be tricky I imagine!

Mah game, Space Cattles: http://t.co/tefrth0Cj4
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 03:07:04 AM »

HeY! its not my thing, so I can't really speak for the creators... Did you try playing them though? me and friends went through and played them with 3 players, and most of them (except for the team games) worked great! I think they are planning on setting up a thing to make playlists though, so a playlist with 2-3 player compatible ones seems possible.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic