Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:51:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlockhead's Blunder (3D platformer)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Blockhead's Blunder (3D platformer)  (Read 8636 times)
thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »

Blockhead's Blunder is a linear 3D action platformer inspired equally by 2D and 3D platformers I played growing up. Development began over a year ago but has been off and on, and halfway through I scrapped everything and started over in Unity (was previously using Java). Here are a few screens:

I'd like to eventually make it into a reasonably sized game with somewhere around 30 levels and a handful of bosses, but I really don't know how far I'll get. There are currently three levels which you can play at the link above.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:21:23 PM by thedukeofzill » Logged

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:22:28 AM »

It's definitely a good start!
Some things I noticed were that the camera movement was sometimes a bit choppy.
The music fits very well in the game in my opinion.
The title screen background was a bit painful to my eyes.

Overall, it's a good start, I'm looking forward to see what you're going to do with this!

Keep it up! Smiley
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »

Yes

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

this game is REALLY FUN

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 01:39:38 AM »

Worked a little on the next level today.

I might put stuff like this in the game for super secret shortcuts.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 01:55:05 AM »

I LOVE the somersault animation haha, it does look like an incredibly fun game, make it happen! Hand Any Key

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 03:13:49 AM »

Tried it in Chrome with a MacBook Pro - couldn't play it! The lag or choppy camera was too much.

LOVE seeing a 3D platformer though, keep it up! Maybe the downloadable version will work better on laptops Smiley
Josepho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 03:55:10 AM »

It worked well on my computer, the game is very nice, some things appears to be a bit more random that it should, for example, when the level of the first gif it appears that i passed it by having luck and not for my skill. Also when I die you should restart the camera rotation or something, i wasnt able to put the camera like in the beginning after dying some times!

-------------
Questtracers - Indie flash games!
http://www.questtracers.com/
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:20:49 AM »

Welcome to TIGsource from cube platformer dev!

Ruse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 07:19:21 AM »

I'm glad more people are doing 3d platformers, could this be the birth of an epic new era for 3d platformers?  My Word!
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 01:23:29 AM »

There's a lot going on in the 2nd and 3rd screen shots, the checked path almost gets lost in that pulsating wave. The actual jumping / running mechanics look very solid.

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »

It's definitely a good start!
Some things I noticed were that the camera movement was sometimes a bit choppy.
The music fits very well in the game in my opinion.
The title screen background was a bit painful to my eyes.

Overall, it's a good start, I'm looking forward to see what you're going to do with this!

Keep it up! Smiley
Thanks! Did you try lowering the AA or shadow quality by any chance? You can get into the options with Tab and lowering the quality might make it run better.

It worked well on my computer, the game is very nice, some things appears to be a bit more random that it should, for example, when the level of the first gif it appears that i passed it by having luck and not for my skill. Also when I die you should restart the camera rotation or something, i wasnt able to put the camera like in the beginning after dying some times!
I'm not sure what you mean. The camera should reset when you die.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »

i'm still working on the ruins level ;-;
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36814103/music%20doodles/ruiny.mp3

Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »

I just wanted to let you know that I love this game and I'll be waiting for the next level!
thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »

Made some progress today:

New obstacle. Still gotta texture it.

Figured out how depth masking works so I could hide the water's surface in the entrance to an underwater area.

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 03:50:59 PM »

New level is finished!

You can play it at the usual place: http://thedukeofzill.com/blockhead. I'd love to hear your feedback!

I'd also like to give a shout-out to Greg Sergeant who just released a handy platformer physics toolkit on the Unity Asset Store (get it here). It's too late for me to use it myself but it would have saved me a ton of work if I'd had it starting out. You can check his DevLog for more info.

Tondo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »

Wow this game is fun. I initially thought I'd have a seizure when I started playing it but it's surprisingly not annoying.

For feedback I think the high difficulty works well, but more frequent checkpoints would have been nice for some levels. Also the collectibles don't feel very necessary right now.

Anyway I'll try playing this again later and hopefully this time I'll actually beat some of these levels...
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »

This look really fun! (and hard)
Cane Mob
Level 0

Lets jive, man!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »

New level is finished!

You can play it at the usual place: http://thedukeofzill.com/blockhead. I'd love to hear your feedback!

I'd also like to give a shout-out to Greg Sergeant who just released a handy platformer physics toolkit on the Unity Asset Store (get it here). It's too late for me to use it myself but it would have saved me a ton of work if I'd had it starting out. You can check his DevLog for more info.

oh man, I haven't had so much fun (and gleefully raged) at a game in such a long time! Keep this up, this is amazing!

In need of music? Check out my audio page!
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 12:19:34 AM »

Me and my friend raced through the two levels that the game had at the time, was really fun, nice work.

The only thing that both made us tick was that sometimes you can jump on a bee without bouncing. I don't know if this is intended nor how I did it (may have been pressing space as soon as I hit the bee?) but it was a little annoying when you expect to get high, yo. Panda

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic