Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:54:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPath to the Sky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Path to the Sky  (Read 37243 times)
nss_aries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »

This looks good, I like where it's going Smiley
Actually the thing I'd like to see improved most is the sky itself (layers upon layers of parallax clouds, maybe?).

Good job!

gabriele

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 03:48:36 PM »

Loving everything of this

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

Saw this on twitter and loved it. Its evolved really really nicely. Sprites, animations and effects are coalescing nicely to give maximum juice.

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »

Can we still do these kinds of moves?
I asked Dek about this on twitter, he said the movement it gave you was too OP. Hopefully he can tweak it or something because that mechanic looks like a TON of fun Crazy
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 06:00:27 PM »

I asked Dek about this on twitter, he said the movement it gave you was too OP. Hopefully he can tweak it or something because that mechanic looks like a TON of fun Crazy
I hope so too. Seeing that kind of combat and how fluid it was, was what me start following the game in the first place.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 06:09:01 PM »

This is supposed to be roguelikish so maybe it could be a rare item or something? & The more combos you stack the further each success hit propels you. There's always a way to balance stuff like that. Even that sword & shield stuff looks cool too. Hopefully there'll be a hefty arsenal at the player's disposal.
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »

I hope so too. Seeing that kind of combat and how fluid it was, was what me start following the game in the first place.

The mechanic will definitely be in the game in one way or another, but it will have to be severely limited. The state of the game in those gifs was different: The levels were constructed of free floating blocks that could take some serious effort to get onto. Now the levels are more structured and offer more room for me to play around with stuff like obstacles, traps, ladders etc. It would be a shame if the player would be able to simply circumvent all that by abusing dashing mechanics.
So, what I will probably do is limit the amount of dashes and increase the difficulty to perform them. Dashing will also not be a base skill but rather something the player has to find or achieve. This way it will feel much more meaningful and rewarding. When you just throw free dashes at the player while the leveldesign doesnt require them, it stops being exciting pretty quickly :/

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »

You posted your reply at the same time as me so maybe you missed it.
"So, what I will probably do is limit the amount of dashes and increase the difficulty to perform them."
What if the more combos you stack the further each success hit propels you? That could be a way to prevent it from being OP, you'd have to build it up with successive hits before you get any real insane distance on it.
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »

You posted your reply at the same time as me so maybe you missed it.
"So, what I will probably do is limit the amount of dashes and increase the difficulty to perform them."
What if the more combos you stack the further each success hit propels you? That could be a way to prevent it from being OP, you'd have to build it up with successive hits before you get any real insane distance on it.

Still sounds like something that could turn out pretty gamebreaking because it has no upper limit. The maximum range will probably be limited somehow. That way its something that I can design obstacles/fights around.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »

Congrats at getting Greenlit!

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »

Your game have been greenlit on Steam!!! Congratulations!!!

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 03:59:31 AM »

Congrats at getting Greenlit!
Your game have been greenlit on Steam!!! Congratulations!!!

Yess! Thank you everyone so much for being supportive and voting!  Kiss

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »

Caught this on his twitter.
http://twitpic.com/dvnezi
Interesting aesthetic shift.
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 03:57:04 PM »

Build 273 changes & additions

• 1px outline shader for increased readability
  • Stuctures have inside/outside elements
  • Monsters drop unique upgrades
  • You can block and reflect things (such as arrows, or projectiles by monsters) with your shield
  • A permanent buff system that can change / influence all of your actions (like modifying reflected projectiles
  • Two monsters: Skeleton and Oildbird
  • Monsters can carry equipment
  • Bombs to remove terrain because terrain generation aint perfect

Animootion:

Caught this on his twitter.
http://twitpic.com/dvnezi
Interesting aesthetic shift.

With the addition of the structure "insides", the dark background has kind of turned into a problem. I mean, visibility and contrast on the bright blue sky wasnt that great, but for some colors (like the players legs for example) the contrast on the dark greys was absolutely terrible, so I added outlines. This has a serious impact on how things read, it makes everything more blobby and heavy but also gives things a simpler silhouette. One good side effect that I got out of this is that I can visually separate important things from eyecandy. With the crapload of particles floating around, the outlines (being rendered even when theres a particle on top of the sprite) add a lot of clarity.  
Creating the shader also required me to switch to "true" lowres to get clean 1px outlines. This kind of hurts some of the more subtle pixel things that I had going on, like the grass (which involved a lot of subpixel vertex movements) or scaling sprites on impact. Im starting to like it though. Its different, but I think its an overall improvement.
I'd be happy to get some feedback on it though!

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

I think it looks good. The outlines give this already gorgeous game a means of standing out, like it literally appears to be popping out at me. I've been pretty preferential to the soft edged pixel art aesthetics that's pretty common place so this style is something I could get used to.
Can you elaborate what entails true low res(I'm just a laymen Facepalm)? I take it the gifs are upscaled, no? How does this affect the game window resolution? Risk of Rain was a game with really cool pixel art but the scale kinda killed it for me, everything was way too tiny in my opinion.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »

I really like it. As DarkWanderer said, the visuals kind of pop out now, more pronounced, and have more "chunky" feel to that that stands out from other pixel games like Superbrothers

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 03:37:58 AM »

Animootion:

go dek! looks great!

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

Can you elaborate what entails true low res(I'm just a laymen Facepalm)? I take it the gifs are upscaled, no? How does this affect the game window resolution?

Im sure theres a technical term to describe what I am talking about, but im not aware of it. Basically you can have either what I call 'true low res', where your game is rendered into an actual low resolution image, which is then upscaled to whatever resolution you want to have it as on your screen.
This means that you have an absolute grid of pixels, all perfectly aligned and none of them can move a half pixel or something.  
Then you can have a fake low resolution render mode, where your canvas is as big as your screen, but you render sprites upscaled. That means that, while the sprites appear crisp, they can also move "between" pixels. For example, you could have two boxes that are only 0.5px apart, and it would be displayed as such. Since you are rendering on a much higher raster, you can move the sprites around on a much smaller scale (or distort them whithout it looking jagged). I was using the fake render mode before and now switched to true lowres rendering. You can still toggle both rendering modes as well as outline modes in the options though. Smiley

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »

I get it now. Very nice. It's cool that there'll be control over stuff like that in the menu too.
Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »

Ive been keeping an eye on this for a little while Smiley really shaping up nicely. With the new outline shader it looks like a different game...i don't know if that's a good thing or not, either way it still looks great. Happy to see this has been Greenlit too, nice work!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic