Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:04:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum Issuesserious discussions board
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: serious discussions board  (Read 12369 times)
feminazi
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »

maybe gate it to liek 5 posts. to prevent peopl who just join without reading da rules posting
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »

There should also be ground rules for the serious discussions board. For example, no insulting.

I notice that every single one of these threads devolves into "No, you are obviously a retard because you have a different opinion" around page 10 or so.

If we want to have serious discussions, insults contribute nothing to a thread. Just state why you believe the person is wrong, and everything can go on in civility.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Dragonmaw
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »

also some ideas and concepts are just so bafflingly bad that there's no reason to address them as actual points.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »

bobo is correct. impmaster is missing the point. the goal of a serious discussions area would be to let people say whatever they want (as long as it's on-topic and not random meme image trolling to distract people or something). it would have no appeal at all if people couldn't say anything insulting

for example, in a recent thread on rps and pax, someone made the claim that transsexual operations are butchery and nobody should ever get them. my reply was to say that that idea is so stupid it's not even worth a reply. if there were a no insulting rule, than *both* of those things could not have been said -- the first because it's insulting to trans people, and the second because it was insulting to the person who made the first statement

it's *exactly* because certain topics are so serious that insults are inevitable, because taking any position on a politically important subject is going to be insulting to the other side. saying that fetuses are people and that abortion is murder is insulting to pro-choice activists. saying that fetuses are *not* people is insulting to the religion of christian fundamentalists. either way is an insult. so if you want to discuss abortion, you either have to risk being insulting, or not discuss it at all, there's no other way

feminazi
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:52 PM »

and for people who dont want the mean stuff they can post on the General board without fear of another rape thread, so the seperation benefits both partys
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »

not to mention people that would lead to people saying things like "i find your succinct proof that my argument was garbage insulting! that's against the rules". there's no telling what will insult someone.

e: but yeah, i'm for this idea. i would say more than a five post limit though. people can breeze through those when they first get here, all excited to become a part of the community. level one, maybe?

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »

Use report button sparingly. Mods delete spammy/dum/stupid/trolling replies and poof, serious discussion becomes serious.

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »

do you even know what sparingly means? haha

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 02:20:04 AM »

the goal of a serious discussions area would be to let people say whatever they want

While your whole thing makes sense, I didn't mean don't say stuff that isn't insulting to some people. I meant that in a lot of these threads, I see a derailing after a while of people just yelling out names at each other. "You're a retard just because you have a different opinion!" "Obviously you are a selfish prick." Things like that. (Note, those aren't real quotes)

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 08:05:16 AM »

a serious discussion board where we can't call pompi a stupid idiot isn't worth having

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »

And as soon as a separated subtopic for serious discussion is made, people will start some thread and ask "where can i get this gam" or "need suggestion on what chair should i buy", and will turn into touch-me-and-i'll-sue-you thinggy like "don't tell me this bs." then press the report button.
I've seen this kind of thing happen in other forum which i decline to name it, where several people being reported by the OP for suggestion without much detail. And for what? A fucking computer chair.
It's fine if there's a new sub-topic being made for this reason, but i think there should be rule on not allowing poster to discuss something trivia that they'd like to search for serious answer, else the moderator will be very, very busy babysitting those manbaby.

Still, why so serious?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »

the serious discussions forum would be specifically for politics, religion, and philosophy. asking whether they should buy a car or not would not quality

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 02:29:52 PM »

Would this be hidden or read-only until level X?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »

i'd be fine with it if it was postcount locked and/or you can't create threads there.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »

my preference would be level 1 limitation. the main reason would be to avoid sock puppets, people who make fake accounts just to say horrible things so that they won't be associated with their main account. having it readable to the public, but only post-able by level 1 or above, sounds fine too, but that may lead to some upset people who can read them but not post in them, and it may lead to people spamming posts to quickly get to 100, so it may be better to keep it hidden until level 1 as well

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

it may lead to people spamming posts to quickly get to 100, so it may be better to keep it hidden until level 1 as well
people who try that would get banned

btw i still don't think this is absolutely necessary, my preferred way of doing it would be keeping "serious" threads in the existing subforums and moderating them a bit differently (i.e. deleting derail posts and some of the other shit eva suggested in the OP)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:17:57 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »

yeah but it can be disguised -- it's hard to prove a post was just filler and done to raise post count unless they, like, explicitly say so in the post, or it's just something too obvious. i could see a lot of borderline cases where it's unclear whether someone was posting to raise their count or just honestly posting

and i think keeping it how it is could work, but organizing them into one subforum has a useful function for people who want to find and are most interested in threads like those, and in keeping those types of threads away from people who are not interested in them. the latter is a particularly strong demographic, there are tons of people who complain about all the 'rape threads' and 'art game' discussions and so on, and keeping that type of stuff away from people who don't want to see it would be an advantage of the subforum

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »

yeah but it can be disguised -- it's hard to prove a post was just filler and done to raise post count unless they, like, explicitly say so in the post, or it's just something too obvious. i could see a lot of borderline cases where it's unclear whether someone was posting to raise their count or just honestly posting
yes but doing it "convincingly" would still take a few days at least and if people really care THAT much about posting in the serious discussion then i cant help them i guess, lol.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »

I felt like this applied.

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »

i'd be fine with it if it was postcount locked and/or you can't create threads there.
I favour this. Most of the serious discussion were a derailment of another thread, so it would make sense that the subtopic is made just so it can be moved there.
But then....how bout the drome? Isn't most of the serious/heated discussion were moved there?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic