Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:53:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTinyKeep - Escape the Dungeon (Steam release!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: TinyKeep - Escape the Dungeon (Steam release!)  (Read 38960 times)
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »

Thanks for keeping up with the project mate Smiley

TinyKeep is now on Steam!
@phi6
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2014, 04:53:27 AM »

Week 42

Still no overgrown environment yet - found out my yearly Mixamo subscription (excellent mocap/animation library) is about to expire this month so need to quickly mock up all the remaining animations for the rest of the mobs - lest I waste another $700 or so on it!

Currently prototyping one of the first minor bosses of the game, Richard of Cobb "The Unburnable" with his many flaming arrows.

Sure, arrows exploding into flames might be a bit overkill, but this is the exaggerated world of TinyKeep after all!

@phi6
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2014, 06:15:01 AM »

Played this at Rezzed, glad to see you're still going with it. It's looking cooler all the time! Are you still aiming for a September (ish) release?

phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2014, 07:01:47 AM »

Thats the plan. Yikes!

@phi6
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »

Thats the plan. Yikes!

Good luck!!

One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2014, 07:36:29 AM »

Man this game looks fun! Good luck with the release date!

phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »

Thanks mate Smiley Interested to see ShadowCrypt too!

@phi6
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »

Well, do what you can and don't sweat what you can't. You might as well take a full 60 weeks if you must - a late game is only late until it's released, but an unfinished game is unfinished forever! Besides, this is looking spectacular.

Your high-functioning level design looks spiffy, but how do these dungeons actually play out in design? Neat things that motivate exploration, or discourage it? (The two together make for a cool risk/reward balance, so long as "risk" isn't instakill.)

phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2014, 02:27:47 AM »

Thanks mate Smiley Unfortunately for me though my Kickstarter money will run to zero if I don't ship on time so can't really stretch my deadlines! I will reduce the scope if it gets a bit too hairy though - a polished small game is much better than a buggy unpolished one with more features - in my opinion!

Level design does seem to have a bit of a flow to it - or so I'm told. Also players seem to like trap baiting more than combat - which is pretty cool! We'll see how it turns out Smiley

@phi6
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2014, 07:29:01 AM »

I still think the flames are much too over saturated. The color palette is really elegant except for the particle effects that have color ramps that are basically overexponated white with 100% saturated orange/red edges. I'm sure there are easy ways to make something that looks more elegant.
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2014, 07:48:02 AM »

Thanks for the comment - but I kind of like the flames! Are you talking about the gif though or from the screenshots in general? As there is a brightness/contrast filter on the gif. Regardless, the fire particles have looked like this for a while and I'm pretty happy with that aesthetic!

Week 43

So as I mentioned last week I was going to complete the overgrown section and release Alpha Two but instead I had to switcheroo and implement all my animations instead as my Mixamo subscription was about to expire (actually it's tomorrow!)

Spent the last 3 or so days prepping all 24 or so of my mobs and bosses and getting the animations in - lots of work, but glad I managed to get it all done in such a short space of time.

Part of this involves... DANCING ORCS!

@phi6
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2014, 02:43:13 AM »

Oh man, I keep putting off making that damn overgrown/jungle/ruined environment and almost always find myself working on something else instead. Well this week I finally managed to do something with Matthias' new "Mayan" tileset and I think it's looking ok!

Took me ages to get the lighting right, I'm using a slightly green tinted ambient light with a warm orange global directional light with shadows to give that almost outdoor feeling. Plus dynamic shadows from the belt light to give the whole scene a bit more depth - I think I'm happy with the result so far!

Week 44 - Overgrown!

More higher res screenshots on my Tumblr:
http://tinykeep.tumblr.com/post/90653024984/early-screenshots-of-tinykeeps-new

@phi6
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2014, 03:02:16 AM »

Week 45

This week I've been working on a completely new environment. Was getting a little bored of all the rectangular dungeon layouts so this has been a welcome change. Otherworldly demons lurk here in this strange dimension...

You can also find higher res versions of the above screenshots on our Tumblr page: http://tinykeep.tumblr.com/

What's next?

This weekend I'll be putting together "Maggie's Lair" and then for the rest of the month it's back to the AI for the remaining plethora of monsters.

@phi6
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2014, 03:18:12 AM »

I think if you toned down the orange lighting a bit and added more blues and purples into the colours it might look better?
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2014, 04:41:43 AM »

Really? I wanted to go for a quite distinct "stuck in a volcano" kind of look though!

@phi6
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2014, 06:17:12 AM »

I think if you toned down the orange lighting a bit and added more blues and purples into the colours it might look better?

Really? I wanted to go for a quite distinct "stuck in a volcano" kind of look though!

I really like the orange tone, adds a bit of visual variety compared to the other levels.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2014, 07:26:36 AM »

I wasn't very clear. I really meant in the non-volcano levels.
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »

Week 46

So I've been trying to get at least one mob's basic AI done every day, at least to a playable state before balancing/tweaking in context with the rest of the game.

This week the following were added:

- Skeleton Archers
- Skeleton Mage (skull spectre summon and healing abilities)
- Skeleton Brute (he attacks rather indiscriminately)

Video of all the skeletons here:

- Orc Archers (small chance of flaming arrows)
- Orc Grunts (spiked clubs)
- Orc Warriors (axe and shield combo)

Demon Exploders:

Right gotta dash - more demons to do this week!

@phi6
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »

Will finished another awesome track today so I decided to make a little preview video from it:

For our "Desolation" levels...

@phi6
Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »

WOW! I like your posts on level generation.

Subscribed Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic