Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 06:28:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCollege
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: College  (Read 8413 times)
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

RIght now I'm bout to finish high school. Then I'll spend a year, maybe a bit more, working and feeding my consumist hunger accumulated for years. Then I'll enter UBA (Universidad of Buenos Aires) and study computer science, which is very long, has absurd ammounts of mathematics, and one of the hardest tessis, and maybe I'll never end it, but that's what I really like, so it isn't a problem.

By the way, the UBA is completely free, as it's from the state. Yet it's the best university you can go to for what I know.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »

yeah a lot of TIG are high schoolers, I wish there was a place for older people to hang out and talk about game dev.  Wink

perhaps once you're old enough, you'll realize that it's best to judge people on their breadth of knowledge rather than their age.

Wink

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »

Seems to be a few Australians around.

Last week I handed in my final assignment, and have now completely done with my animation/multimedia BA from RMIT.

And now I start full-time work in the field in 4 days... so I guess it wasn't entirely wasted.

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 02:49:18 AM »

Calling HECS (or HELP as it's now called since the marketting police got at it) an "interest-free loan" is a bit of a misnomer/out-right lie.

a) HECS/HELP is indexed to CPI, so it will increase over time. Last year I had 'indexation' of 2.8% applied to my HECS debt.

b) The Interest is built into the loan. There are massive discounts for paying the debt off early.

*edit c) Not to forget that the payments are compulsorily extracted from your salary

Ah ok. I wasn't entirely sure about HECS/HELP so when I posted that I figured if I wasn't right, someone would correct me. So cheers. (c) kinda sucks. What about if you're self employed?

I guess I should've researched that a little, but hey - no uni till next year so i'll leave it till later Smiley

Is anyone studying at UNSW?

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 03:03:33 AM »

Calling HECS (or HELP as it's now called since the marketting police got at it) an "interest-free loan" is a bit of a misnomer/out-right lie.

a) HECS/HELP is indexed to CPI, so it will increase over time. Last year I had 'indexation' of 2.8% applied to my HECS debt.

b) The Interest is built into the loan. There are massive discounts for paying the debt off early.

*edit c) Not to forget that the payments are compulsorily extracted from your salary

Ah ok. I wasn't entirely sure about HECS/HELP so when I posted that I figured if I wasn't right, someone would correct me. So cheers. (c) kinda sucks. What about if you're self employed?

I guess I should've researched that a little, but hey - no uni till next year so i'll leave it till later Smiley

Is anyone studying at UNSW?

Hells yes. Second Year Science. Tests finished TODAY! Where abouts are you situated, Cagey?

Also, regardless of "Interest Free" or no, we Australians get it cheap. Commonwealth Supported Placement and such means a couple (many) thousand for Uni. Used to be FREE though. Grumble Grumble.
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 03:13:43 AM »

I just finished first year Mechatronic Engineering + Computer Science. 'Twas a good year Grin

Do you go to the Kensington Campus? (If so: Awesome! There are many computer science related events that you may be interested in as a game programmer)

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 03:29:38 AM »

electronics engineering degree.
Grin

So unless I'm completely mistaken, this means you could from scratch create your own computer input devices that were as crazy and cool as you wanted!  Shocked  Beer!

Enjoy that incredible ability sir, as I'm only able to dream/design input devices, not actually construct them!  Gentleman

It's a little of that, mostly it's using programming to read input from devices. Also, a covers a little software design. I've spread out to take a little bit of everything to sort-of make me well-rounded in the industry =P
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 03:47:36 AM »

I'm doing a BFA at the university of canterbury, and although we don't have rabbits, we have ducks.

Unfortunately the fine arts department suffers from pretty typical under-funding. (this is typical in New Zealand, at least, I'm not sure about overseas?) My tutor has a wealth of experience that alone makes it worth while, though.

As for financing, I had/have no plans and now have a gigantic loan. Shwee! WTF

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »

Digipen is probably the most well known and respected at the moment, but be aware that it is primarily focused around programming. To my knowledge there are no game 'design' courses.

I know USC has a program down in southern California, though I don't know much about it. They are also one of the first to offer a masters program. I'm not sure how valuable that really is though, as developers are really just getting into looking for degrees.

I know quite a few people who went to Cogswell College in California. They have a pretty decent design program offering some programming and art as well, but practically no one has heard of them.

There are lots of other programs around, but I would caution to try to talk to some students going there before you commit to a specific place. All of them will have their good and bad points, but the big thing to remember is that you will get out of it what you put in. If something you want to know about isn't being taught by the college you go to, well then get together with a group of students and teach yourselves! This is invaluable because once you get out of college, you will have to teach yourself to keep up with the changing tools.

Hope it helps!  Beer!
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »

I'm currently working on a fine arts major at UCSC, and I'm super happy. Once I realized that it was impossible to learn both programming and art from scratch at age 20, and just gave up on learning to program, my life has become simple and happy. College for me has been totally awesome, I spent the first year or so being generally irresponsible and abusing all sorts of substances. Since then, I've cleaned up my act (as I've watched many friends fail to and subsequently drop out) and have been learning so much and having the time of my life. My advice for college is to watch out for traps, there are just so many ways to fuck up your education/career/life in the first few years of college, so be wary and try to make smart choices. That is all.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »

mrfredman, that is excellent advice. And while I agree in spirit with the comments up the thread about the best learning being done on your own initiative, the resources of a halfway decent college and most importantly the access you get to people and things can accelerate self-learning like you wouldn't believe. Most people at a good college are there to help you and want to help you, so take advantage of it.

I've heard Georgia Tech (or is it U. of Georgia?) has started a programming/art curriculum for games too.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »

I am planning on going to a community college after this summer to get an associate's in management/marketing. By then I hope that I actually finish enough Flash games to pay for it (~$5000), but I keep hitting snags.  Undecided Why does Actionscript 3 have to be so damn confusing? Anyway, wish me luck!

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »

Another important thing to look for is who owns the IP you create, you want to, and alot of schools will claim that they do as part of admittance.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »

for anyone who's in high school, i recommend my situation.

i'm going to high school at a community college.  this way, after the normal 4 years of high school, i have an associate's of arts degree.  this allows me to get a master's degree in just 4 years, opposed to 6. 

i have school 3 days of the week, and the others are used for studying as well as hanging out with friends.  i have a 4.0 so far, and it's great.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »

i'm going to high school at a community college.  this way, after the normal 4 years of high school, i have an associate's of arts degree.  this allows me to get a master's degree in just 4 years, opposed to 6. 
i have school 3 days of the week

Wtf?  Shocked

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »

Neon: That's something I'd known about for years, but was too damn lazy to actually do. Now I soooo wish I'd taken that route. *sigh*
Too late now.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 04:48:57 PM »

Wtf?  Shocked

let me rephrase that a little bit more realistically.

i have school from 1pm - 7pm 3 days of the week.  i have full college courseloads, meaning that i double the classtime outside of class and devote that to studying.  luckily, i can get things done a bit faster than that, so not all my time is taken up. 

xion:  don't do it unless you have very close friends that you hang out with regularly.. otherwise your friendships will wither and die.  also, the girls at community college are not so great.   Undecided

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »

Wtf?  Shocked

i have school from 1pm - 7pm 3 days of the week.  i have full college courseloads, meaning that i double the classtime outside of class and devote that to studying.  luckily, i can get things done a bit faster than that, so not all my time is taken up. 

Are you kidding? That's still a shitton better than 7 1/2 hours five days per week. I could've gotten shit done a lot faster and easier in a situation like yours without incompetent teachers trying to "guide" me 1/3 of my life.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »

Wtf?  Shocked

Are you kidding? That's still a shitton better than 7 1/2 hours five days per week. I could've gotten shit done a lot faster and easier in a situation like yours without incompetent teachers trying to "guide" me 1/3 of my life.

academically, yes.  but it's a whole different ballgame socially.  read what i wrote to xion.  all your friendships WILL die out and fall apart, cause you're not seeing people 5 days of the week. 

luckily, i have very close friends that i've known for a long time, and we've remained the same.  but i'm not sure if it would be the same for someone else, so - fair warning.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »

Wtf?  Shocked

academically, yes.  but it's a whole different ballgame socially.  read what i wrote to xion.  all your friendships WILL die out and fall apart, cause you're not seeing people 5 days of the week. 
You can't take the classes in the morning?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic