Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:23:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHEAVY BULLETS
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: HEAVY BULLETS  (Read 41103 times)
jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2014, 06:15:31 AM »

about the executable bit: the zip format has a field called 'external file attributes' where you can store unix file attributes (including the executable bit). i don't know if there are any existing utilities that let you do that but it's quite easy to do from many programming languages like perl or python. here's one of the links i found while doing research on this a while ago:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/434641/how-do-i-set-permissions-attributes-on-a-file-in-a-zip-file-using-pythons-zip/6297838

i think you should ask unity devs to build achive generation right into unity so you don't need to worry about it (note that zip is not the most common format on linux, .tar.xz and the like are much more common). if you need i'll try to find the perl script i whipped up a while ago to fix this exact problem.
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

Those fuckin' bush worms make me jump in my chair every damn time.

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2014, 04:34:34 AM »

@jpnk cool, yeah Unity should get this stuff sorted, even the lack of startup dialog was a surprise to me, it sounds silly but leads to a lot of problems

@jubjub awesome, I've been trying to find a way to fit in some music without getting in the way of hearing enemies coming, but I do kind of like it with just the ambient sounds

@reilly they still get me too, at the worst times haha

Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2014, 05:11:40 AM »

Perhaps you could go the Half-Life 2 way and play short songs on specific moments, like when you meet the final boss, when you enter the last room of a level or similar.

That way it doesn't affect your hearing since you'll already be engaged in combat anyway.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:21:38 AM by Jubjub » Logged
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2014, 09:32:52 AM »

Just tried it and it really reminded me of Serious Sam. Awesome job on the environment! You got me creeping through the game after the first stupid worm.

One thing I should mention is the difficulty in distinguishing between the different vending machine types. Maybe go for something like the Bioshock vending machines? Just my two cents.

Anyway, great work so far and I can't wait to see more!

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »

@jubjub that sounds like it could work, I'll try!

@sundrop thanks, did you play 0.08? In this one the vending machines have a huge cartoonish item rotating on top, should make it easier to tell them apart

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »

- i like how inconspicuous those 'X' marks are. i don't like how after the wall goes up it just stays there. it kinda looks inconsistent with the way all other walls look near the ceiling. maybe activating a mark could just blow the wall (without hurting the player) or something.
- marks not reacting to bullets - a bug or a feature?
- @Araneidae do you see the mouse cursor when playing the game or when you exit to the menu? i probably saw it once when playing (not sure) and i see it every time i exit to the menu. just to be clear i see *both* the game cursor and the system cursor.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2014, 04:44:39 AM »

man, you just made me realize I exported this last version without a ceiling. so the thing with the wall staying up there is a bug, you shouldn't be able to see it

I'm not sure what you mean by marks not reacting to bullets though, what marks?

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »

'X' marks. when i saw an 'X' for the first time i thought it's like a doorlock so i can just shoot at it and it will open but the bullets just bounced back so i had to press E instead.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »

Today I made a couple new changes, now to drop items you hold E instead of Space. Makes way more sense, not sure why I did it the other way

I also added poison to some enemies, like the snake and the wasp. Trying to balance it out now so its not too frustrating.

'X' marks. when i saw an 'X' for the first time i thought it's like a doorlock so i can just shoot at it and it will open but the bullets just bounced back so i had to press E instead.

Oh, right, yeah you're supposed to press E to open them

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2014, 08:56:36 AM »

Been wanting to test this game out for a while.  Definitely a unique take on a shooter with collecting your bullets after you fire.  Solid concept, solid execution!  Toast Right

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2014, 07:13:05 AM »

Just wanted to share that I made my first run from Level 1 to beating the last boss fight in Level 8. I still need to take care of a couple of bugs, balance it a bit more, figure out the Linux side of things and make a trailer/website for beta release.

I'm hoping to get enough done to have it out by early next week. I'm pretty set on selling it for $5 on IndieGameStand. edit: or through humble

Been wanting to test this game out for a while.  Definitely a unique take on a shooter with collecting your bullets after you fire.  Solid concept, solid execution!  Toast Right

Hey, thanks man!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:45:23 PM by terri » Logged

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »

Ack once I get home I'm gonna play the poopoo out of this

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2014, 08:15:23 PM »

The coin hopping is great! :3

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »

The graphics really sell the physical feeling, I'm stoked on this.

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »

Beta is LIVE!
Its out, its $6.

http://www.heavybullets.com

I might add more items, but this should be pretty close to final content. I am looking forward to fixing all the bugs you guys throw at me.

Heres a trailer:

Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback, it was invaluable.

Changelog from last Alpha:

- Levels 5-8
- 7 new enemies
- Final boss battle
- Boss mussic
- Hold E to drop items
- Poison system
- 3 new items
- Rockets fly faster
- Various tweaks, bugfixes
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:38:03 PM by terri » Logged

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2014, 05:03:45 AM »

congrats so much on the beta release. Am gonna buy and live stream when I have some more time. It was pretty solid back in alpha, so looking forward to see what you have changed.

Also, I hope you and fancy skulls team up and get a steam deal together soon, I love both of you.

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »

congrats so much on the beta release. Am gonna buy and live stream when I have some more time. It was pretty solid back in alpha, so looking forward to see what you have changed.

Also, I hope you and fancy skulls team up and get a steam deal together soon, I love both of you.

thanks man! a fancy bullets deal would be awesome

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2014, 02:07:50 AM »

-
- it's a bit confusing that when you press 'toggle fullscreen' the mode button (the one that reads 'F' or 'W') isn't toggled as well. so when you press 'toggle fullscreen' to switch to the windowed mode then change the resolution and press 'set' you go back to the fullscreen mode because by default the mode button reads 'F'.
- i like how you need to shoot those spiked enemies in the butt. i didn't get to see any of the other new enemies yet.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2014, 03:49:58 AM »

I've been thinking about bringing the overall difficulty down, let me know how you guys feel about it. I don't want to make it easy to beat the game, but many people seem to not get past the second level.

@jpnk
Ugh, thanks, I thought I got rid of these, will have to find it.

I should also mention that I seem to have tracked down your lack of shadows to a Unity "feature" that disable shadows on users that are on Linux and using a Intel graphics chipset. The workaround is not very practical, unfortunately
( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49817-How-to-enable-shadows-on-Linux-for-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-graphics )

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:05:32 AM by terri » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic