Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:35:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHEAVY BULLETS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: HEAVY BULLETS  (Read 41104 times)
jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »

great game. i was looking recently for some first person Delver-like crawler with more focus on shooting and yesterday stumbled on this game on gamingonlinux.com. btw kudos for releasing a linux version.

- i really like the minimalistic look and random generation. the only problem i have is that sometimes it's hard to tell whether i'm looking at a corner or there's a distance between the walls and its actually an entrance into a corridor.
- the sounds are mostly good too. i've only got to the third level so far and the only enemy that didn't sound right to me where the bees.
- the names of the items i've encountered so far are mostly ok. i like how items are introduced in The Binding of Issac - you get a name and a short, sometimes a little vague description and figure out the exact mechanics as you go. i'd like to see heavybullets maintain this kind of a balance throughout its evolution.
- when you withdraw money maybe it should be materialized as coins pouring out of the vending machine/terminal? btw can you explode a vending machine? it would be cool to get a couple of coins and occasionally an item out of that.
- i found no way to change the controls. maybe i missed something but the dialog only shows me the current controls and i see no way to modify them. a couple of suggestions:
'q' for reloading. i almost always hit 'e' instead of 'r' when i get ambushed. or maybe 'q' should reload the entire gun but as a penalty you won't be able to shoot until it's finished.
- no knife attack animation. yet another suggestion - put the knife in the left hand and map it to 'alt'. so 'shift' will throw a bomb and 'alt' trigger an 'alternative weapon' (knife/megabomb/potion/etc) carried in the left hand. this will free spacebar for jumping if you ever plan to introduce rudimentary platforming. besides, i find the current spacebar function a little confusing and fucked myself over a few times when trying different kinds of explosives against the turrets.
- a loading screen is a must. especially when loading into the first level which takes the longest.
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 11:51:18 PM »

I played this yesterday. It was really fun. My only critique is that the contrast between the shadowed parts and the bright, super saturated parts can be pretty intense. I'm not sure if it was intended, but it can be hard to see sometimes in the dark shadowy parts.

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 06:39:12 AM »

@jpnk awesome thanks for the feedback, some of the stuff you mentioned I'm working on. you can change the keys in the unity startup box thingy, when you run the game

@raycast cool, thaks, it was intended but its good to know what people think of it anyways

antoniodamala
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »

FOLLOWING AND TESTING
jrlans
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »

I've been playing this game for a little bit now, and I love it so far! I especially love how the effect of the ritual sword looks.

Two things I did want to mention though:
1/The last will is impossible for me to see. I can see it for a split second when it comes out of the vending machine, but then it disappears. Or if I drop it on the ground, I can't see it at all. I can still pick it up by mashing "e" around the spot I think it is.
2/Some of the monsters can detect me through walls. Not sure if that's supposed to happen as it seems like they usually need line of sight.

Can't wait to see what else you add to this game :D
antoniodamala
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »

Okay, reached level 3, and this is with fancy skulls are the most interesting take on roguelikes since red rogue and ending.

I really really liked the game so far but here are some things I would like to see added:
- A map with higer and lower floors heights and stairs
- Secret places (besides the treasure room)
- And better use of shadows vs. palletes (I mean it works so far, but I would like to see you expand on it)

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 05:42:52 AM »

@jrlans

hey, thanks! I will look into the last will, that sounds pretty bad. the monsters thing is on purpose, they will act on line or sight of if you get too close. I wanted them to sometimes run to you

@antoniodamala
thanks for the feedback man, secret places are planned!

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:01 AM »

the startup dialog isn't displayed for me. the first thing i see is the screen with the Unity logo and 'Powered by Unity' under it. and then i see the title screen of the game itself with 'NEW GAME' and 'CONTROLS'. so maybe it's a platform-specific bug or something.

p.s. the startup dialog is what this thread
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/134444/is-it-possible.html
is about, right? this game is probably the first unity game i've ever played:)
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 06:23:30 AM »

ah... yes it should show up when you start it up
try holding shift when running the game, that might force it

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 06:55:47 AM »

still no dialog:( are you sure it's supposed to appear on linux? i'm using ubuntu 13.04 x86_64.
jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 07:39:21 AM »

a feature request: it'd be nice to be able to rotate the cylinder. i had to waste a red powder charge once on a kitty (or whatever you call'em) instead of the turret for which it was meant.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »

hey, thanks for bringing this to my attention
I've done some googling and apparently the input/resolution dialogue from unity does not work with linux

this really sucks... unfortunately I can't do anything about it at the moment

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »

i found a file called 'prefs' inside '~/.config/unity3d/TerriVellman/HEAVY BULLETS' with this content:

<unity_prefs version_major="1" version_minor="0">
        <pref name="ACCOUNT_BALANCE" type="float">387</pref>
        <pref name="MOUSEI" type="string"><![CDATA[False]]></pref>
        <pref name="MOUSES" type="float">2</pref>
        <pref name="Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" type="int">0</pref>
        <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Height" type="int">768</pref>
        <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Width" type="int">1024</pref>
</unity_prefs>

maybe i can add some entries to it? if you can't give me any clue that's ok, i'll do some digging tomorrow.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

the first 3 are variables I'm saving like the bank account balance, mouse inverted and the mouse sensitivity
I imagine fix would be implementing a custom input manager, that could be edited at anytime during the game

the last 3 are the default screen settings I guess, which explains why the linux videos I'm seeing on youtube are all in the same aspect ratio

edit: v0.05 is up with a few bug fixes!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:00:05 PM by terri » Logged

siggy313
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »

Registered just so I could give feedback. I really like the overall flow of the game (even though I'm terrible). A thought to throw around for future consideration.

It may be a good idea to include some info about at least the passives, maybe in a readme or something? Specifically, what Life Insurance and Last Will do. Everything else I figured out how to use and what it does after playing around with it for a bit, but Life Insurance and Last Will: I bought them and, while I know they make my next playthrough have more money, I'm not really sure what its based on(money in inventory? bank? total value of all items plus bank plus pocket cash? Just not very clear...). One way it could be implemented is to, when you die, show the exact way the value is calculated ie. (money in bank)*0.15*(the number of life insurance policies), or whatever it is, with those values filled in for that playthrough. Would be a good way to learn what they do without overtly telling and still making the players get it at least once to know what it does.

Just a few things to consider. Good game so far though. I dig it.
[Edit: Just found a "Carry Item +" for sale at the medbay (first time I've seen it in nine playthroughs?). That makes half of what I said completely irrelevant! Got rid of half of my post as a fesult}
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:03:43 PM by siggy313 » Logged
jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »

tried out v0.05. two things:
1. i played it on a 1280x1024 monitor and in the fullscreen mode the picture was stretched vertically. i guess that's because the game uses the same aspect ration as for 1280x720.
2. if hello.rtf is gonna contain only text then you should probably replace it with a plain text file - they are easier to handle especially from command line.

edit: and yeah, explodable vending machines ftw:)

edit: one of my bullets apparently travelled through a wall:) or ceiling. i was attacked by a bee in front of a closed door. the bee got too close so i had to shoot almost vertically. after i killed the damned thing i couldn't find one of my bullets and when i opened the door i saw it jumping on the other side.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:08:48 AM by jpnk » Logged
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 05:19:55 AM »

@siggy313 yeah I'm working on ways of giving more info without killing the fun of figuring things out
@jpnk 1 its going to be a problem on Linux, sorry. its on the list but its a long list right now.
the bullets do clip sometimes, as do the shots from turrets, its annoying
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:27:54 AM by terri » Logged

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »

since the windowed mode works fine maybe you should make it the default on linux. because to change between the modes you need to manually edit the 'prefs' file that i mentioned.
Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »

Played it today, really digged it. Though no item descriptions is a little confusing so I purposely avoiding buying a lot of them and dropping some as I didn't know what they did.

I feel like it could really use a jump button... Just to liven up running around. Something feels off about the movement too, perhaps a bit too fast for the scale of the environment?

I also noticed some depth fighting on your Medbays, not sure if other machines do it, but the "Medbay" text would flicker in/out from the panel.

I really wish I could work on a project like this! I've been playing around with Unity and have similar doors working. I was going to make something like your computers too Tongue

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 12:35:08 PM »

@jpnk oh, thats great to know, I can do that and add a "toggle fullscreen" key, thanks

@Iso awesome, I think I have a solution to the item confusion, working on it! I'll look into the other stuff
I actually think I'm on the same boat, most of the stuff is my first time, these are my first doors, first fps camera, first pathfinding... its totally overwhelming but so awesome. so yeah, stop wishing and do it!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic