Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:59:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHEAVY BULLETS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: HEAVY BULLETS  (Read 41274 times)
Pezomi
Level 0

swag swag swag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »

I finally got around to trying it and I am quite pleased with it.

I really love the the ammo management in the game thus far, every shot counts. Every bullet has a real weight to it.  Corny Laugh

Looking forward to following the development of this.

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »

if you kill a turret that's right next to a doorlock then you can't interact with the lock if the turret is in between. maybe that's because the turret's hitbox doesn't change after it dies (it should become much lower).

edit: a few ideas:
1. the effect of the first-level 'focus' upgrade isn't pronounced enough in my opinion. i even couldn't figure out what it does because the duration is so short. also you could couple it with bringing the gun closer to the camera and removing the crosshair so that that player could use the iron sights. i'm not sure how it'll work though.
2. turrets could have a weak spot that simply blocks them without exploding and causes them to drop a few bullets or bombs (depending on the turret type). it should be harder to hit and maybe if you do explode the turret afterwards it won't drop any coins.
3. an enemy concept (just an example to demonstrate the basic idea): imagine a spider with a bomb instead of its body - if it gets to you it explodes but if you shoot off all of its legs then you can pick the bomb and use it as a regular one. as you shoot off each leg the spider becomes slower.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:28:53 PM by jpnk » Logged
jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »

so i've finally beaten the boss. for some reason i initially thought that turrets were only destructible with bombs so i never got past level 3. a thing to note about killing turrets is that the most exciting kills are when you pop out on or unexpectedly run into a turret and manage to hit its weak spot before it has a chance to hit you. classic close quarters combat. but there's also a lame way when you hide behind something so that the turret can't hit you but you can hit its weak spot. i'm not sure if this is intentional but i think it takes away a little bit of excitement.

i'm obviously looking forward to see more content but the amount it already has gives it a property you don't see too often these days, namely you can beat the entire game in a single run. you neither get bored nor weary before it's over and manage to get enough satisfaction. also at least in my practice a full run is short enough so as a casual player i can fully devote this time to playing the game.
antoniodamala
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »

for some reason i initially thought that turrets were only destructible with bombs

damn me too
EdgarTheGame
Level 0

Invisible things are the only realities.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »

The screenshots look quite cool. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Your avatar is also quite spectacular.

I have to agree. Great avatar  Smiley

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 06:47:16 AM »

I kinda like that you can snipe off some turrets. They have a random rotation so you have to be lucky that it spawns in a way you can do it.
The part where it was blocking the door control is weird, sounds like a bug. The hitbox lowers when it dies.

Thanks for all the other ideas, I'm haven't started working on more enemies yet, I'm still on bugs and UI/design stuff.

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 09:58:56 AM »

They have a random rotation so you have to be lucky that it spawns in a way you can do it.
actually the range of angles that make it hard to hit the spot is usually quite narrow. so most of the time you do get lucky. at least i do:)
I kinda like that you can snipe off some turrets.
actually this perspective never entered my mind because most of my encounters with turrets were close to mid range. i mean when a turret is right around the corner it feels kinda cheesy to shoot its weak spot. maybe turrets should have a small shield so that the weak spot is only exposed when a turret is facing an opposite direction. so you can still kill it by popping out and hitting the spot before the turret has a chance to wake up completely and face you. and if you botch it you can either try to run past the turret or get far enough so that the turret goes back to hibernation and you get a chance to repeat the attempt. anyway it feels like this idea needs some balancing.
sniping off a dormant turret from a long distance feels ok, i just do it so rarely.
benexclaimed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »

This is honestly terrific. I've played a few other games that try to do something similar (FPS roguelike thingy) which are much further along in development and they don't even come close to this. You've got a great foundation in place already and if you're estimating this at 20% completion so far I can't wait to see how it progresses.
Cat Bounce
Level 0

bounce bounce

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »

Terri,

I am truly in love with your game. I've been playing it a lot recently, and I have a few suggestions/glitches:
- The coins sometimes fall on places you can't get them, a.k.a.: behind the shooting machines dead leftovers;
- When you go out of the game and then back into it (I'm running a mac, I don't know if this happens on windows too), the cursor that should be at the center of the screen moves with your mouse movement, which is sorta weird;
- As the game is loading, the center thingie is not yet centered. It centers only after some time, as it's about to start;
- Can't we get more opportunities to go to the pink/secret room? Or is it really supposed to be top-secret?;
- It'd be so so awesome if the grass sorta moved as you walked on it, it really would;
- Do you plan on keeping all the walls the same or are you going to change the color palettes as the levels go on? I think some diversity on that topic would be amazing.

By the way, great job. I'm really excited for this, and I'll be sure to keep coming back to check for news!  Smiley
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »

This was fun. Gave it three playthroughs, died really quickly the first two times, but I figured things out the third time and got to level three.

Really solid game design - sparse but guaranteed ammo drops always supply the player with enough resources to get by while making sure that every shot counts. I love it.

My only criticism is that it might be a good idea to make sure that there is always some to figure out what the passive items do. Figuring out what the silver life did was easy, but I still have no bloody idea why I was carrying around the golden skull.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »

@Alchiggins by this point i have probably seen all of the items in the game so i can assure you it's totally possible to figure out what they do and doing this is part of the fun:)

@terri in case you haven't settled on a loading screen design yet here's a simple idea: draw the hud cylinder as it goes from being empty to fully loaded then back to being empty and so on. one bullet goes in/out per tick.
Cat Bounce
Level 0

bounce bounce

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 04:40:51 PM »

Okay, so I have one more bug to report:
If I visit the secret room once, doesn't matter if I have more keys to open others, I can't access them.

AND YES!
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 07:17:46 PM »

thanks everyone, I'm working on a few things for the next version, appreciate all the bug reports and ideas

@cat bounce: I played around with other wall colors but it might end up with more of a vegetation change along the levels, at least for the first 4
I'm not sure what the pink room is, do you mean the item room, behind a locked door? if its anything else its a bug

jpnk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »

bugreport: i couldn't pick up an additional leechstone even though i bought 'carry item+'. it worked with silver life and homing bombs but whenever i tried to pick up the second leechstone the one i was already carring just fell on the ground.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »

not a bug, some items can only be carried one at a time since their effects don't stack

Cat Bounce
Level 0

bounce bounce

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

Yes, the item room (: I guess it wasn't a bug afterall, I was just shooting the button instead of pressing E. My apologies!
I do believe that the vegetation change will look amazing, but the colors being the same might make it a little monotonous. I didn't even realize this myself, it was my boyfriend who was watching me play that said "but... it always looks the same".
But when you messed around with the wall colors, did you really not like any other option?
Anyhow, the game is amazing. I'm sure it'll be very okay if you decide to leave it as is, afterall, it's your game!
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 12:50:25 AM »

Hey I really enjoyed this!
first, my critiques:
- navigation is a bit rough. I found myself getting lost, but not in a particularly interesting way. I don't know how to fix this, maybe having signs pointing towards the exit or something.
- over all sense of progression. it would be nice to know how far away I was from the exit on a particular run. I only got to level 3, but knowing that there are 6 levels, or 26 levels would make me feel way different about how well I was doing, and motivate me to push harder.
- numbers, particularly the life insurance / discount card system. was unclear on how these things effected each other, and your final score. I don't know how to explain this better though.

now everything I liked about it:
- the resource management. so so good. amazing not having health packs and junk scattered through the level
- the death. every time I died, I felt like I learned something.
- the enemies. fucking scary, probably because of the resources.
- the single weapon. I liked having to use that one revolver, and really appreciated that it could be used as a sniper rifle.
- one hit kills, on all the enemies I saw.

I posted a video here:

- apologies, it might be a bit long and boring and I mumble over it.

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 01:12:18 AM »

I think you should add a sensitivity adjustment option on the full game, or on the demo too. I, as a player of good shooters, didn't like that the sensitivity was so high, it was hard to aim!

But out of that, the game is pretty nice, I had fun playing it!
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 03:39:02 AM »

@catbounce

yeah I still wanna do the colors, but probably later down the line
shooting the locked doors' controls has a chance of opening it without a keycard, or closing it forever

@jonbro

thanks for the feedback! there are 4 levels right now

@devMidgard

look in the controls screen, you can use 8 and 9 to adjust mouse sensitivity

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:25 AM »

This is great. Following.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print