Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:03:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRex Rocket [Released on Steam!]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Rex Rocket [Released on Steam!]  (Read 35380 times)
Rosstin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »

These puzzle can only be solved with the use of teleportation:

Another telepuzzle:

Similar to the first puzzle, this one has a death laser that chases you and ups the ante:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:11:33 PM by Rosstin » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

One thing I haven't been able to figure out from the trailer and images: will the game be linear or more of an open Metroidvania style?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Rosstin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »

One thing I haven't been able to figure out from the trailer and images: will the game be linear or more of an open Metroidvania style?

Christian, it's a hybrid. It's a bit hard to explain, but imagine if Megaman X had multiple paths in the levels, and all the levels were connected. You still have to defeat all the bosses, and there's an order to beat the bosses in that you can't violate. You have to beat Zone 1 to access Zone 2, and must beat Zone 2 to access Zone 3. But there are secret tunnels that connect Zone 3 back to Zone 2 and Zone 1. And it's not always obvious which way is "forward". You might enter into a room with three exits leading in different directions, and not be certain which way you need to go to finish the Zone, then have to explore.

There are three big, main zones. These zones mainly progress linearly. You'll start in "Zone 2 - The Barracks" and snake through that zone, fighting bosses and getting upgrades. Later you'll find shortcuts leading back earlier in the zone, and shortcuts that lead back to previous zones.

There's essentially a linear sequence of essential events, but everything is nonetheless interconnected. A bit like Metroid Fusion perhaps? Or Monster Tale? But a little bit less linear then that.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »

I like the sound of that. Seems reminiscent of Dark Souls, in that the areas are linked by shortcuts and you can backtrack, but have to defeat bosses to progress.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Rosstin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »

I like the sound of that. Seems reminiscent of Dark Souls, in that the areas are linked by shortcuts and you can backtrack, but have to defeat bosses to progress.

Kind of like that... more linear than Dark Souls I think. You'll see. :-)
Once you see and understand the main map, you'll get it.

I'm sure Rob will be able to explain it better.

Rosstin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »

Couple more crazy telepuzzles.

More lethal twist on an earlier telepuzzle:

This one is a hybrid and requires grenades as well as teleportation. It's a bit evil; the timing is very tricky.:

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »

it's really hard on the eyes.

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »

it's really hard on the eyes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cleaner bots.  These guys will split into two if you hit anything except the head.  They require the player take well aimed shots and avoid body segments unless they want to have a real mess on their hands.  

The swarms spawned by these bee hives are ultra deadly.  They will spawn a set number of bees which which make up a swarm. Best practice is to set a teleport point close to the hive, lure the swarm away, teleport back and destroy the hive.

The heli-bots will be used to drop different types of enemies onto the player.  

An upgraded and sneakier version of the head smashers.  They also spits bombs.

Jelly-Bots.  Only shootable from the sides and above.  Running underneath one will trigger a laser attack.

We're aiming to have our demo out very shortly!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:17:09 PM by CastlePixel » Logged

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »

Jelly and smashers in combination

Spitznagl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »

Wow! It looks fantastic!

Looking at those GIFs, it seems like there's a lot of stuff that's out to kill you at the same time. Is dodging a part of the gameplay or is there a reason to kill every enemies you encounter?
CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2014, 10:47:05 PM »

Wow! It looks fantastic!

Looking at those GIFs, it seems like there's a lot of stuff that's out to kill you at the same time. Is dodging a part of the gameplay or is there a reason to kill every enemies you encounter?

Thanks!  Some of the gifs, like that last red one, are from test levels.  The final maps aren't so busy.  Most of the enemies do require some sort of dodge to be properly destroyed.   For example, the heads that fall from the ceiling require a player to run underneath them, jump/dodge the head / projectiles, and then destroy the head before it recoils into the ceiling.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:22:25 PM by CastlePixel » Logged

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2014, 08:45:33 AM »

Production is in full swing on the final zone.

hogge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »

I love the animated little details in the backdrop.
Really reminds me of old DOS demos I had on my first computer.

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »

I love the animated little details in the backdrop.
Really reminds me of old DOS demos I had on my first computer.

Thanks!

Rosstin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »

We have a booth at GDC2014! I am unbelievably stoked!!

Rob, you are an awesome producer.

http://indiemegabooth.com/project/rex-rocket/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:25:40 AM by Rosstin » Logged

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2014, 09:01:10 PM »

We have a new site and demo up at http://castlepixel.com/rexrocket

New Trailer!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:19:05 PM by CastlePixel » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2014, 01:27:22 PM »

Really enjoyed the demo. Very challenging, nice mix of combat and precision platforming.

Two questions:
- Will there be a new game plus (carry your unlocked weapons and gadgets to a new game)?
- About how long would you estimate a playthrough would take?

CastlePixel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »

Really enjoyed the demo. Very challenging, nice mix of combat and precision platforming.

Two questions:
- Will there be a new game plus (carry your unlocked weapons and gadgets to a new game)?
- About how long would you estimate a playthrough would take?

Thanks! I'm sort of confused by the first question.  Things you do in the demo will not carry over into the official game, although that is an interesting idea.  A playthrough of the finished game should run the average person about 6-8 hours.

Rosstin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2014, 01:46:52 AM »

I think I understand the question. You mean a New Game+, where you beat the game, start over, and retain your gear. Like in Dark Souls.

Christian, we talked about this. I think we decided that we're interested in the idea, because it would be fun to play through the game with all your upgrades (especially the teleporter and jetpack!) We'll have to playtest it though, and make sure it doesn't break the game to start with everything. (I think it will be fine.)

But I can't speak for Rob and Tyler, so no promises. I think our number one priority is making the main game the very best it can be, so extras take a backseat.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2014, 04:46:14 AM »

Sorry, forgot. I'm active on so many forums I sometimes forget which I asked questions on. But thanks for the info, will definitely be preordering this.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic