Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 04:12:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBounce - Overhead breakout-style game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bounce - Overhead breakout-style game  (Read 1445 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »

Playtest this thing!  Bounce is an overhead breakout game, with experimental gameplay/art style.  The gameplay is pretty experimental so far, nothing is 100% set in stone just yet, so any feedback is appreciated.

http://rydia.net/udder/!crap/bounceTest/

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »

Cool idea dude!

Crits:

That mouse cursor is awful and visually confusing. KISS.

May not be the game you want to make, but: I wish there were more realistic physics on the ball, instead of a fixed bouncing speed and fixed angles. A similar game featuring this approximate design as a heavily physics based game (with enemies able to be knocked around and spun too, even) would be extremely cool to me.

I think the art is too noisy in general. Styles fine but I'd prefer much simpler sprites, less lines and colors.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »

That mouse cursor is awful and visually confusing. KISS.

Will change this.

May not be the game you want to make, but: I wish there were more realistic physics on the ball, instead of a fixed bouncing speed and fixed angles. A similar game featuring this approximate design as a heavily physics based game (with enemies able to be knocked around and spun too, even) would be extremely cool to me.

More possible angles would make it harder to calculate trajectories and get a consistent high scoring level playthrough to work.  There's already enough that can go wrong to screw up a potential combo.

As for enemies spinning around after being hit, they all die in one hit, so I'm not sure what the point of this would would be for.  I don't really plan on having enemies with more life.

I think the art is too noisy in general. Styles fine but I'd prefer much simpler sprites, less lines and colors.

Yeah, they might be a bit too detailed .. I'll see what I can do there.  No guarantees though.
skrjablin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »

I only played until level 3 so far, but what I can say is that the controls feel complicated already, as it's hard to move between arrow keys and ijkl with one hand as the other hand is busy with the mouse. My idea would be if the paddle was not the same in every direction but had a front and a back, and was rotatable, perhaps by some key on the keyboard, then you could just fire the ball with the left mouse button in the direction of the front. And then you could fire bullets with just spacebar, in the current direction of the front?

I think the graphics theme and the music feel really professional, but I'm not very good at such things myself so maybe I have too low standards...

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »

I think if there's anything I'd change about the controls, it's so if you have the ball, the arrow keys launch the ball, but if you don't have it, the arrow keys place turrets.

It doesn't seem very useful to place turrets while holding the ball, which is why I had seperate keys in the first place.
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 12:27:36 AM »

Nice job on this. The gameplay was smooth and i didn't get any type of lag or anything. Everything was basically to the point which is a plus. 

Overall really simple and solid game.

I thought it would nice with MORE lines, colors and sprites lol. Can never get too creative or imaginative with graphics.

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
ZeppelinCaptain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 12:05:02 PM »

WALL OF TEXT INCOMIIIIINNG  Droop

Okay, first I just want to say that I think it's a nice game, and I had fun playing it. I like the the art style (and I love the background. The size of the background tanks reminds me of some levels in Super Mario Galaxy). The music is freaking awesome Grin I especially liked the core mechanic, but I want to give you some well-meaning feedback. Take it to heart, or throw it out with the trash, it's your choice!

I liked the core mechanic. The core mechanic is great! The only problem is... The game seems to be confused as to what the core mechanic is!

Let's set this straight. The core mechanic, which is a great, original, well-functioning mechanic, is bouncing around the ball with the octagonal breakout pad. This is fun to do, and it's interesting to experiment with different techniques, especially since you have to balance risky bounces with the slow-moving pad. But the game just piles on so much unnecessary stuff on top of this. I know you've spent a long time implementing all of these things, but they just seem superfluous.

Note that I played on normal, so some things might seem better on hard, but I think the game should be balanced on all levels. I always play games on normal, since that seems to me to be the difficulty that the designer polishes the most.

Hand Point Right Most importantly, the phasing and catching the ball. It sadly makes bouncing off your bat completely unnecessary. I played through all 12 levels, and I only died ONCE, in level four, because I was confused about an enemy (which is okay though!). The game just seemed way too easy, and my much beloved core mechanic never got its time to shine! I then replayed the game, without phasing AT ALL, and it was glorious! It was fun and challenging (although I still only died once, this time in lvl 10, but that was probably only because I had already played through all the levels once) and I had to think about how to use the levels to my advantage a lot more. My suggestion: remove phasing completely. I know it may sound drastic, but unless you restrict it A LOT, it only subtracts from the core mechanic.

Hand Point Right Turrets. I used them in the level they were introduced, and never again. They just seemed too much of a hassle to worry about, and I think this was mostly because it was rarely necessary to destroy enemies, since the ball didn't take damage from them, and I didn't have too much diffculty navigating them. So unless you plan to make it more necessary to keep enemies in check, I will have to make another drastic suggestion: remove turrets completely.

Hand Point Right SO MUCH STUFF! You just keep throwing new enemies and block types and power-ups at the player. This is something that Angry Birds did really well: they knew just when to introduce a new type of bird. I think you have to let the player play around with new enemies and block types more, before introducing new ones, instead of introducing new stuff every single level. It's too overwhelming. My suggestion: design at least two levels per new thing introduced (power-ups not included). This also gives you room to show off your awesome level design skills (which I know you have, there were some pretty cool levels in there). 
       Hand Point Right While on this note, I don't think you should describe what the enemies do before the level! This is something that is fun to explore and figure out on your own as a player. The explanations of blocks and power-ups seem less redundant, but they could still easily be removed, depending on how much you want the player to explore, and how much you want him to just know it (which is definitely necessary some times)
       Hand Point Right And if you really want to tell the player what the enemies do, at least give them names instead of numbers. Numbers are boring!

Hand Point Right Score. This is cool to have and all, for the extra hardcore players, but I don't think most people will care about it, they will only care about beating the levels, especially when there is no star system or anything to tell you if you got a good score. The main good thing I could see the score doing would be to support experimentation with combos. So design the levels around completion first, score second.

Hand Point Right Some comments on the visual design: I think the art style is great, but the sprites need to be a bit more distinct (the enemies are fine, since they move). The main thing is that the blocks that you have to destroy needs to be visually different from everything else, in order to minimize frustration. Right now it's fine that they're yellow, but the enemy generators are yellow as well, giving you the impression that they are destructable. Also the distorter things that damage your ball are great (I'm all for more things damaging the ball itself), but they are yellow-ish as well.

Hand Point Right I think the mouse cursor should be sped up a teeny bit, to lower the amount of frustration. It's fine that it's not instant, but right now it feels just a bit too slow.

Hand Point Right And a small final note: saying that "The time and era is unknown" seems redundant. If there is no time and era, why mention that? Stuck in space is good enough.

But again, I really like the core idea of the game, and the only reason that I'm annoyed by the points above, is that I would really like this to be a good game!  Beer!

Good luck!
-ZC

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »

I've changed the enemy portals to put out enemies a bit faster on easy/normal, and the phase meter now recharges slower on easy/normal.

Keep in mind the beginning levels aren't going to get really tough .. eventually, in the later levels, they'll get a lot more challenging.

I'll see what I can do about the rest later.
ZeppelinCaptain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »

I've changed the enemy portals to put out enemies a bit faster on easy/normal, and the phase meter now recharges slower on easy/normal.

Keep in mind the beginning levels aren't going to get really tough .. eventually, in the later levels, they'll get a lot more challenging.

I'll see what I can do about the rest later.

Sounds good!

My main point of critique wasn't the difficulty though, it was that the phasing and the overwhelming plethora of things overshadows the very nice core mechanic.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »

I'd rather make the phasing less spammable than get rid of it.  If the phasing is still too poweful, I'll just keep nerfing it.

I'll also change the destroyable blocks to be teal colored rather than lime colored, so they aren't confused with harmful/enemy objects.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:40:23 PM by Udderdude » Logged
smegh3ad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »

early fun game takes a bit to get the hang of it and there is too much text at the start of the game had to force my self to read it all.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 02:58:26 AM »

I've removed the enemy descriptions from the level intro text, hopefully this cuts down on the unnessecary text.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic