Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:36:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshop2 Characters for a game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2 Characters for a game  (Read 1761 times)
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »

Hi, this will be my first topic, excited to be here. Wink

So, I've been drawing much lately for my first game - something like River City Ransom but mythology/history oriented with more detailed characters, and a bit different gameplay.

Anyway, here are 2 sketches that I would love to hear an opinion about. I can already sense that this style needs more shadowing or even removing the black outlines, but i'm still not sure what would be the best way.

Another thing that worries me is that I don't see detailed characters in games, especially mobile, everything is small or pixel art, so maybe someone can explain that to me too.

Thanks for your attention. Wink

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »

I don't want to sound harsh but I suggest you take some anatomy classes.

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »

Good day! So you wish to make a similar game to River City Ransom so in the sense, a Beat-Em-Up game? Smiley So far, the characters are not very detailed as you have mentioned. Perhaps truly detailed character designs would be like Final Fantasy's character designs.

May I ask you if this is the art style you wish to proceed with during the development of your game?

Also, pixel art uses few colors that allow the file sizes to be small making it very easy to load, as well as create. However, it is normally due to hardware limitations back in the day. Nowadays, pixel artists try to recapture the "retro" feel of pixel art using modern techniques that make it an efficient art style for video game development.

DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »

I don't want to sound harsh but I suggest you take some anatomy classes.

I agree, but may I ask which parts you find inaccurate?

@Medevenx
Yes, I'm thinking less enemies but a more smart AI.
I have no problems changing the style, if this style is not pleasing at all, then I don't want to create something no one will feel. Wink

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »

First, I think the limbs are inaccurate. Elbows and knees aren't well-defined. Anyway, I'm suggesting a change of style because it is difficult to animate in such a style if you have little experience in doing so.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:23 PM »

First, I think the limbs are inaccurate. Elbows and knees aren't well-defined.
And I think chests have some problems too.

DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 03:34:39 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I will think about all that.

Here's another one, a miniature dragon.

siplus
Level 0

working on something...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »

the dragon actually looks cool. some collor and you could use it in a similar styled game!!!

just keep making awesome stuff...
waheela
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »

I'm actually not that bothered by the anatomy, since it seems like you're going for more of a cartoonish style. If you do decide to keep the outlines, I'd suggest playing with the thickness of some of your lines for more variation.

Below are some examples of where you might want to vary the thickness of your lines.

Make your lines thicker:
-On the shadowed part of a form
-At the intersection of two lines
-At the bottom of a form to describe weight
-On objects closer to the viewer than other objects
-A very long, straight line with no preexisting line thickness variation already

Make your lines thinner:
-Where light hits the form
-On objects farther away from the viewer than other objects
-On very detailed/small parts of the form (ex. clothing pattern)
-A very long, straight line with no preexisting line thickness variation already

For more info and detailed pictures of what I'm talking about, google line art or inking tutorials. There are tons of helpful ones out there. Smiley

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »

Another thing that worries me is that I don't see detailed characters in games, especially mobile, everything is small or pixel art, so maybe someone can explain that to me too.

Well, with 2D games in general, large characters aren't used often I think because the player generally wants to be have a decent view of the stage and the action.  If your characters are large and everything else is proportional, then your player isn't going to be able to see that much (and might not feel very in control).  I guess this'll vary from genre to genre, but.

It's especially something to keep an eye out for on mobile, because those screens are generally so small you don't really have that much room in the first place.  Chunky, stubby pixel characters both "read" easily and don't take up too much valuable screen real estate.

(Also this might just be me, but I always associated 2D platformers and stuff with huge character sprites with bad movie licensed games.)

I'm actually not that bothered by the anatomy, since it seems like you're going for more of a cartoonish style. If you do decide to keep the outlines, I'd suggest playing with the thickness of some of your lines for more variation.

I don't know if this 'cartoon style' is really up to the quality level where line weight variation would help much, honestly.  Heck, it kinda makes me think of highschool notebook drawings in ballpoint pen.  You could even embrace that and make the lines messier/scribbly to complete the vibe.
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 08:32:04 AM »

I think that I will keep the outlines, probably will think about changing line thickness as suggested, while adding some shading. I'm not good at it yet, but it looked better in testing than with just plain lines. Any ideas for improvement? Smiley

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »

The texture of the dragon looks like it was done with a spraypaint tool which makes it look sloppily done.  They lady looks nice for the style.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic