Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:06:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 234538 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2014, 04:12:33 AM »

Looking forward to it! I appreciate that you'll put some effort into addressing the topic Smiley
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »

Hopefully my efforts have produced satisfactory results! Post about color blindness and existing and potential methods by which Cogmind deals with it: http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2014/04/accommodating-colorblindness/

Cogmind as viewed by 6% of male audience:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2014, 02:55:37 PM »

Grin

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2014, 11:07:40 PM »

Time for something completely different!

A general look at the topic of sound effects in roguelikes, including how they apply to Cogmind and followed by a short clip from the game intro itself. This is the first of a series, with better clips and more details to come:

http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2014/04/sound-roguelikes/

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2014, 04:26:42 AM »

For some reason, even though the sounds were totally different, and the game doesn't start with a descent on a dead moon/planet AFAIK, it reminded me of this:

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2014, 04:36:06 AM »

Hey, the game looks like that, too! Okay, not quite, but it is mostly just interface stuff going on during the intro, showing the underlying system during startup and giving a bit of background for the story (indirectly anyway--the player won't really understand it all without having uncovered the story).

Pretty amazing video.

I could've released the intro as a video, but figured in this case it's better to just focus on the sound and see what listeners have to say.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2014, 05:17:36 AM »

I kind of want to be surprised, which rarely happens - I think you shouldn't release it until you want to start pushing trailers out the door.
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2014, 05:27:59 AM »

My plan has been to put excerpts of the intro in the beginning of a future trailer, yep. I'm trying to keep the story of the game, and many of the game areas, under wraps to make it more exciting for new players to explore. This will have the side effect of making future blog posts somewhat more difficult since I also want to continue talking about the game Wink In any case, pretty soon I'll be making the *actual* game world itself seeing as the core content is soon to be completed.

In other news, that won't be happening too quickly because I'll have very little dev time next month. Oh well. Things will really start picking up in June.

Thanks for following, and I hope the final product contains enough surprises for you!

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »

An overview of the weapon sound effects, including an audio clip from a mock battle: http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2014/05/weapon-sfx/

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2014, 02:11:18 AM »

An overview of the weapon sound effects, including an audio clip from a mock battle: http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2014/05/weapon-sfx/

I have been lurking this thread since page one. Always interesting to read your new posts!

I suspect from reading your earlier posts that all those small sounds has a visual counterpart, so I look forward to a video Wink
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2014, 02:24:02 AM »

Thanks! Nice to know, stick around for more Wink Decided this morning to extend the sfx coverage to a four-part series, so there are still two more to come before moving on to other topics.

All the visuals for those sounds were done before making the actual sounds, so yes, they exist and it'll be nice when it can all be shown together as one coherent work. That said I'm afraid it's next to impossible to get a good-looking video of ASCII on YouTube due to the aggressive compression Concerned Too bad I can't do something like... gif w/sound.

In any case, waiting until the game world starts coming together before doing any videos. SoonTM.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2014, 03:03:54 AM »

had eyed this a couple of times before, but this time I'm gonna come out and say it. Looks really amazing!

the systems behind it seem fairly well thought out as well, now just to see it in action...
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2014, 03:58:09 AM »

Thanks, been making not-too-fast-but-steady progress for a good six months now. I did just yesterday update the OP with some new representative screenshots--hadn't done that since first starting the game! Was getting pretty outdated and people who just dropped in there whenever the thread is bumped oughtta be able to see more of what's going on.

Not much will be happening next month because I have a lot of non-Cogmind things to do, but afterward this summer should see a lot of activity as all the various parts of the game come together and we get alpha releases, trailers, and other fun stuff. I can't wait! (No, actually I can because approaching later stages of development is where more and more stubborn problems tend to poke their heads out, but such is gamedev.)

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2014, 07:33:58 AM »

About how much time do you spend on the game in a week on average? Would be interesting to know.

Regarding the sounds, there was one thing I thought about when listening to the clip. It would be cool if something could be done to differentiate more between the weapon sounds and the glitches you hear when taking damage. Maybe crank up the volume on the weapon sounds in general, but when getting hit the and core is unstable you turn down or maybe even distort all the exterior sounds as if the cores receptors are being affected in some way.

Do you plan to add any dynamic effects to sounds (like muffled explosions far away)?

My technical knowledge about sounds is not good so this might not make much sense though.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »

That said I'm afraid it's next to impossible to get a good-looking video of ASCII on YouTube due to the aggressive compression Concerned Too bad I can't do something like... gif w/sound.

I've been told upscaling to 4K improves the quality of Youtube movies at the lower resolutions. So basically, even when the source material is 720p it pays to upscale it to "1440p" before uploading to get a better 720p result on Youtube. Yes, really. Don't know if that will fix your problem though.
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »

About how much time do you spend on the game in a week on average? Would be interesting to know.
Far less than I'd like due to family responsibilities :/
Currently only managing about 30-40 hours per week. I keep a spreadsheet/calendar of the work I'm doing each day, color-coded by the type of gamedev work (coding, art, design, etc.) with a note or two about the tasks. I plan on releasing that to the public when the game is released, along with copious graphs and analysis. I like looking at data Wink

Regarding the sounds, there was one thing I thought about when listening to the clip. It would be cool if something could be done to differentiate more between the weapon sounds and the glitches you hear when taking damage. Maybe crank up the volume on the weapon sounds in general, but when getting hit the and core is unstable you turn down or maybe even distort all the exterior sounds as if the cores receptors are being affected in some way.
I think the "differentiation" you seek will come naturally when seeing a video. Glitches from core hits affect the interface itself, and of course each weapon effect is animated. There's a good bit of a disconnect when you're only listening to something like this which has a strong visual component.

Do you plan to add any dynamic effects to sounds (like muffled explosions far away)?

My technical knowledge about sounds is not good so this might not make much sense though.
"Muffled" explosions I can't do with the audio engine I have (more on that in the next post), or my expertise since I'm not much of a sound guy, either.

The only effect I do use is volume adjustment, based on dampening by materials between you and the sound (e.g. heard through doors), and based on the distance from the origin, sometimes using different falloff curves depending on the sound in question (though it's mostly a categorical division). I wrote about this in an old post here, but the next post will talk more about the audio engine.

That said I'm afraid it's next to impossible to get a good-looking video of ASCII on YouTube due to the aggressive compression Concerned Too bad I can't do something like... gif w/sound.

I've been told upscaling to 4K improves the quality of Youtube movies at the lower resolutions. So basically, even when the source material is 720p it pays to upscale it to "1440p" before uploading to get a better 720p result on Youtube. Yes, really. Don't know if that will fix your problem though.
Thanks for the tip! That does make a lot of sense because the result of the compression is to make everything fuzzy, which has a larger impact on ASCII which is both crisp/pixel-perfect and small. Making everything fatter could help cut down the effect.

When the time comes I'll experiment with upscaling the source first. I'm sure it will always be a problem, but a default upload looks horrible at the lower resolutions. Anything to help.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »

Been gone for a bit--back now with a post about the implementation of Cogmind's audio engine: http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2014/05/audio-engine/

benexclaimed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2014, 07:27:53 AM »

Oh wow. This looks tremendous.
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2014, 07:34:04 AM »

You're on Rock, Paper, Shotgun! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/12/devlog-watch-cogmind-fritz-tiny-wizard/

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic